Stowe vs Sugarbush 2/20/15

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
62 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stowe vs Sugarbush 2/20/15

ADmiKe
Will be skiing one day in VT next Friday (2/20).  Tail end of presidents week - hopefully not TOO crowded.

Need an opinion on Bush vs Stowe. I've skied Stowe before, been a while. Never been to Bush.

How's Sugarbush in comparison to Stowe?  Never really got a chance to really explore Stowe...first time was a HS ski trip 12 years ago, only other time was -62 degrees so we didn't get too far that day....

Also does anyone have any Stowe or Bush tix they want to sell?

Thanks
Mike
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stowe vs Sugarbush 2/20/15

BenedictGomez
This post was updated on .
They're both a lot of fun, but IMO, Stowe is the best resort in Vermont.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
BenedictGomez wrote
They're bot a lot of fun, but IMO, Stowe is the best resort in Vermont.
I agree with this ^^^
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
I love them both but I would choose Sugarbush.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
What do you like to ski? What are some of your favorite areas? Preference for top to bottom 2k vert every run or pod skiing?

Personally, I think Stowe is superior to Sugarbush and given the choice (given that I have discount vouchers to either), I would choose Stowe everytime, especially if the ridge is in play. Bush has a lot of nice spots but has absolutely no pull on me whatsoever. That said, I think there is value in trying out new areas when possible. Then again, I'd rather ski neighboring MRG and Smuggs rather than Bush or Stowe any day.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
A midweek sleeper pow day at Stowe can't be beat on the east coast. It's just a great mountain imo. It has consistent vert, high speed lifts serving all of the vert, and killer terrain. When it's busy it's a different story.

Stowe is THE classic but if it's during busy times a better experience can be had elsewhere.

Than again I am weird, I would rather do 4 or 5 skinning laps on fresh uncrowded terrain then deal with 30 minute lift lines and a crowded skiing experience.

That being said, I haven't skied on the east coast for 20 years now. If it has become more crowded than then I feel for you all. Weekends must be brutal.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
I'm a diehard Whiteface (and GORE) skier. Rarely venture into VT...just wasn't ever that impressed with VT...not bad, but I guess I'm just spoiled by the vert at Whiteface.

Going to be on my board for this trip with my wife, I'm expert, she's strong intermediate.

I know Stowe is a nice mountain, even though I've only been there twice so haven't explored it fully.

I guess what I'm looking for is a reason to go to Sugarbush - or a reason to not bother with it and just stay at Stowe...but it looks like both are good options.

Maybe someone can fill me in on more details about sugarbush....short runs? Lacks vert? better choice for holiday week in terms of crowds?

I've got a few leads on discount tix I'm working for Sugarbush which could also really sway my decision...
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
I think sugarbush has close to 500 more vertical but that's probably not figuring in the vertical of the hike to terrain at Stowe, which probably makes them about even in vertical.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
I've heard alot about the hike to terrain at Stowe - where is it and how much is there of it?

I hiked up once from the gondola house past the boundary sign - there was a pretty visible hiking trail but after hiking through a clearing it got real tight and I turned back - didn't seem like it led to anything.  

I'd imagine you need a local to show you some things.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I<3ADK wrote
I've heard alot about the hike to terrain at Stowe - where is it and how much is there of it?

I hiked up once from the gondola house past the boundary sign - there was a pretty visible hiking trail but after hiking through a clearing it got real tight and I turned back - didn't seem like it led to anything.  

Tons of it, as in all over the place

You were heading in the right direction

I<3ADK wrote

I'd imagine you need a local to show you some things.
Just be sure and do this ^^ if you decide to head up there
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
The general area out toward the Chin isn't some closely held secret, so I think we can talk about it.  Locals knowledge is always preferred.  The time my brother and I hiked out toward the Chin we didn't have that luxury, so we didn't venture too far out.  Dropped some nice lines along the ridge but once we hit the pines it was a slower go.  The further out you go it opens up more, but the more risk you have of not finding your way back to Chin Clip and finding yourself on 108, which people willingly do.  You can find YouTube vid of Profanity, which looks great.

I've always been leery of asking people.....'hey, you know your way around and want to show me?'  Shouldn't be, I suppose.   I'm sure some people might tell you to F off, but a lot wouldn't.  I often end up relying on catching people heading in to hikeable terrain and asking if they mind if I tag along, but that can be very hit or miss.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
I think sugarbush has close to 500 more vertical but that's probably not figuring in the vertical of the hike to terrain at Stowe, which probably makes them about even in vertical.
I don't like to focus on vert totals. Sugarbush may have 5 or 600 more but there isn't a pitch of 2000 vert like you find at Stowe. I have never skied at Whiteface but looking at the layout it looks like if you are skiing the full 3k+ a lot of it's flat and takes several lifts to get back up to the top. this is why I always loved Plattekill. It's a small 1000 but it's straight forward and simple and it doesn't let up the whole way.

This is also why I think Jackson is the best ski mountain in the country. One lift, 4139 and a good pitch for the whole thing. It may not be the biggest but it's the most quality. Benny is claiming Alta is the best mountain in the country and I dunno, it may be the best for getting a tri-cep workout!
Reply | Threaded
|

Bosco DaSkia
 At $108 per day to ride the lifts at Stowe, you would not find me hiking to anything.

Sugarbush is cheaper, easier to get to, has better parking, much less crowed, has more space to spread out the folks that are there, cheaper lodging, better woods, more woods, less folks in the woods, more woods that are accessible without hiking.

I would take the Bush over Stowe any day.... if for no other reason than the torturously slow drive up Rt 100 from Waterbury that gets even worse when you turn onto 108.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Glade Runner wrote
I don't like to focus on vert totals. Sugarbush may have 5 or 600 more but there isn't a pitch of 2000 vert like you find at Stowe. I have never skied at Whiteface but looking at the layout it looks like if you are skiing the full 3k+ a lot of it's flat and takes several lifts to get back up to the top. this is why I always loved Plattekill. It's a small 1000 but it's straight forward and simple and it doesn't let up the whole way.

This is also why I think Jackson is the best ski mountain in the country. One lift, 4139 and a good pitch for the whole thing. It may not be the biggest but it's the most quality. Benny is claiming Alta is the best mountain in the country and I dunno, it may be the best for getting a tri-cep workout!
I think both Whiteface and Sugarbush are similar in the top half has a lot of the pitch and the bottom is more mellow.  Ive never been to Stowe, so hard to compare other than the stats I read.  I do really like the sustained pitch at Plattekill.  But, I'd say just goto Mad River Glen instead to solve the problem of going to Bush or Stowe.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee

Glade Runner wrote
   Ive never been to Stowe
Glade Runner wrote
   But, I'd say just goto Mad River Glen instead to solve the problem of going to Bush or Stowe.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
I<3ADK wrote
I'm a diehard Whiteface (and GORE) skier. Rarely venture into VT...just wasn't ever that impressed with VT...not bad, but I guess I'm just spoiled by the vert at Whiteface.
Wait, what?  Extra vert which you can rarely enjoy with excellent conditions?   To claim you love Gore and Whiteface isnt a problem, but to simultaneously claim that and claim you're "not impressed" with Vermont skiing is ridiculous.

Look, I love both Gore and Whiteface, but to compare them to the best that n.VT has is a bit of a stretch for many reasons.  Vermont areas like Stowe, Jay Peak, Smuggs, even a Sugarbush etc... are simply superior to the non-biased individual.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Bosco DaSkia
Bosco DaSkia wrote
At $108 per day to ride the lifts at Stowe, you would not find me hiking to anything.

Sugarbush is cheaper, easier to get to, has better parking, much less crowed, has more space to spread out the folks that are there, cheaper lodging, better woods, more woods, less folks in the woods, more woods that are accessible without hiking.

I would take the Bush over Stowe any day.... if for no other reason than the torturously slow drive up Rt 100 from Waterbury that gets even worse when you turn onto 108.
Not sure about all of that. You toss the Notch and Smuggs into the mix and there's a 1-2-3 punch that will knock your socks off.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bosco DaSkia
campgottagopee wrote
Not sure about all of that. You toss the Notch and Smuggs into the mix and there's a 1-2-3 punch that will knock your socks off.

Sure, and add another $70 for the Smugglers pass. Now your up to $178 to go walking around the Notch. Now add in having to avoid the "no fun patrol" whilst walking from Stowe to Smugglers and back.

Nope. You can have that place.

Way more accessible woods at Sugarbush, and if you want to add in hiking, there is all of slidebrook available to you. There is a shit ton of goods in there. The trek to Mad River Glen is quite easy too, if your looking to pay for a ticket at 2 areas in one day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Is slidebrook what is under the traverse lift?  How do you get in there?  Can you get in without a guide?