10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sub-Forums

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Been thinking about adding some subforums. Currently the only subforum is the OFF TOPIC.

My instinct is to wait until it has been going it a while longer before considering new subforums.

Do we separate out TRs? Western stuff?  Leave it all wild and wooly the way it is?

I've got some ideas. Still would like to hear yours, if you are so inclined.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sub-Forums

Chris
I think that's a tough call right now, probably something to consider later in the season.  The member count is climbing, I think it's best to take a step back and look at whats going on at the end of January before sketching some stuff out.  Sub-forums help, but there has to be enough traffic to make them worth while.  On the other hand why set boundries- everyone ducks ropes anyway.

I honestly feel a bit snobbish posting CO stuff seeing as this is a NY forum- ah well, roots run deep.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Chris wrote
I think that's a tough call right now, probably something to consider later in the season.  The member count is climbing, I think it's best to take a step back and look at whats going on at the end of January before sketching some stuff out.  Sub-forums help, but there has to be enough traffic to make them worth while.  On the other hand why set boundries- everyone ducks ropes anyway.

I honestly feel a bit snobbish posting CO stuff seeing as this is a NY forum- ah well, roots run deep.
We're not going to do anything yet. It just doesn't make sense before you we've had any in-season posting. And there are certain forums where I think the subforums just don't help. Just thought it would make interesting conversation and maybe some good ideas would come out.  

There's this funny thing over at the Telemark Tips Forum. There's an unwritten rule about what is OFF TOPIC. The definition of ON TOPIC in the main forum is much tighter in season. And in the OT called WAY OFF TOPIC they have the most intense food fights - politics, everything .... and people who are totally flaming each other in the WAY OT are posting at the same time in the main forum, civil as pie.

With regard to the NY thing ... I've said this before ... Harvey Road is about NY Skiers, not just NY Skiing.  I don't think it's reasonable to think anyone would spend their life skiing in one state.  IMO VT is incredibly important to NY skiers. And you can be darn sure that when I go to Jay Peak, or Alta, I'm posting here. You mentioned it yourself - you've got NY roots. BRING IT!
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by Harvey
I'd suggest that you add free classified ads. Two sub-forums; For Sale and Wanted to Buy
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
That's a great idea ADK. Many is the time people wanna buy/sell gear. Ski property for rent or wanting to rent ski property would also fit that bill.

He could call it " Harv's List ". Hehe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by adkskier
adkskier wrote
I'd suggest that you add free classified ads. Two sub-forums; For Sale and Wanted to Buy
I think a gear forum might make some sense.  I don't think it would make sense to break it down more than that. I:)skiing had a concept that he PM'd me about a few months ago that I didn't totally get. Maybe he could explain it.

Not sure about the implications of paid or free classified ads. Right now our policy is no advertising without approval. That's pretty vague for sure.  I want to be able to help the North Country Hardship Fund, but we don't want a bunch of spam.

It seems advertising could be extra work for management. Snowballs obliquely referred to "Craig's List."  I think Craig has his hands full these days. Granted he is making a fortune. We aren't in it for the money, which is convenient as there really isn't any.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by adkskier
adkskier wrote
I would also like to see a classified forum. A buddy of mine is looking to get rid of 4 or 5 pairs of boots for cheap, I'm sure someone here would be interested.

I don't think it would be worth it to separate into WTB and FS sections. Just combine it all into one. Not many people go out and look for people wanting to buy something.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Ok Gear is a recurring theme.

Here's my idea. I'm going to start "The Gear Thread."

Lets see what gets posted and how many posts we get.  Ultimately I can separate into separate threads if necessary.

fujative wrote
 A buddy of mine is looking to get rid of 4 or 5 pairs of boots for cheap, I'm sure someone here would be interested.
This has Gear Source written all over it. You could get a little more selling them one by one to people who have to try them on, or you could swing by GS and I'd bet you a donut that he'd give you a fair price for all five pairs.  It might be consignment.

That place is rocking.  The moved into the building that had Emmy's video (on Ordway Lane) and the store is looking good.

Give me a few minutes and I'll post the gear thread.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Gear Exchange

Spongeworthy
Why wouldn't you want to sell this stuff thru Jeff's great new location for The Gear Source?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Gear Exchange

Harvey
Administrator
Sponge is right. I said it in the other thread too. Way easier to use Jeff.

I dropped off three pairs of skis at Gear Source last night for a tune.  At the same time I gave Jeff this setup to sell:

This morning when I picked up my tunes, the skis were already sold.

Part of my earlier reservations to this idea, were primarily that I did not want to do anything to detract from what Gear Source is doing. Let face it, probably more than a third of the people who follow the blog and post in the forum are Gore skiers.  We WANT a gear store in NC. We want a good one.  Gear Source is really upping their game, and Jeff is the right man for the job. That new location on Ordway Lane is sweet.

Jeff and I actually talked about this this morning. If you want to list your gear here and sell it through the Gear Source, post your info and take your stuff down there.    And put GS email at the bottom of your listing, so interested buyers can contact him:

thegearsource@hotmail.com

If you don't get to North Creek, or want to do your own thing, go for it.