Subaru rusted tailgate gas spring- lube yours now!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Subaru rusted tailgate gas spring- lube yours now!

greif
Just had to replace a gas spring on my 2014 Forester because the ball in socket on one end had rusted solid, seized, and broke the ball off the stud. I oiled up the other spring and eventually got it moving again.

I suspect this is a problem with any Subaru that has liftgate gas springs with the ball/socket on the down side, when the gate is closed. Save your self a lot of trouble and grease or oil these ball sockets once a year! I am surprised it is not a dealer lube point.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Subaru rusted tailgate gas spring- lube yours now!

Ethan Snow
All moving parts on all vehicles should always be lubricated regularly.  Fluid Film is the best IMO. Great rust and corrosion protection against salt as well. All door hinges, door latches, door springs, etc. And of course tailgate springs and what not. I spray about a half gallon of that shit on the under side of my vehicles and also shoot it inside the inner fenders, and rocker panels before every winter. Also spray it on all the suspension components, shock absorber boots, CV boots, and steering components regularly. Stuff just lasts longer when it has a thick film of waxy oily stuff protecting it.

https://www.amazon.com/Inhibitor-Prevention-Corrosion-Undercoating-Protection/dp/B004NDADI4/ref=asc_df_B004NDADI4/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583932699502480&psc=1
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
You're a wise man Ethan. The old timers would do that with oil, I remember watching my grandad spend hours wiping the undercarriage and door jams.
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
Whatever happened to Ziebart?
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
Just be careful spraying rubber. Some penetrating oils will cause the rubber to swell and brake down sooner  
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
In reply to this post by greif
Speaking of Subaru, I have an 18 Crosstrek, first Subaru I have owned. Had it 2.5 yrs  no issues until now. It only has a little over 11K miles and the front rotors are warped and need  replacing. Hoping Subaru will go good for them but I am guessing they wont be covered under warranty. Never had a new veh need brakes so soon. Anyone else have problems with so low miles and brake issues on a Subaru?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
That's low mileage.  When I didn't drive my car everyday, the brakes (especially rear) were always fucked up. They rust fast if you don't drive regularly.

Do you drive it every day?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by endoftheline
I have two subs
brakes always have a issue
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
endoftheline wrote
Speaking of Subaru, I have an 18 Crosstrek, first Subaru I have owned. Had it 2.5 yrs  no issues until now. It only has a little over 11K miles and the front rotors are warped and need  replacing. Hoping Subaru will go good for them but I am guessing they wont be covered under warranty. Never had a new veh need brakes so soon. Anyone else have problems with so low miles and brake issues on a Subaru?
It should be covered. Subaru has one of the best factory warranties in the biz. Their 36mo/36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty is excellent. Covers brake pads and rotors. Obviously there are specs that have to be met but I'd be surprised if they don't cover that for you. It also covers wiper blades, headlight bulbs, and a slew of other items most manufacturers will only cover for 12mo/12000 miles.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
That's low mileage.  When I didn't drive my car everyday, the brakes (especially rear) were always fucked up. They rust fast if you don't drive regularly.
Isn't it nuts!!!???? Even cars in the showroom will have surface rust on them while sitting there. Unless a car has been peeped for storage, sitting around is one of the worst things for it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
I have two subs
brakes always have a issue
My version:

I've had four Subs.

Brakes are always an issue.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Thanks Camp, hope you are right. Pads and rotors are not cheap. Obviously with only 11K it has not been driven that much and in winter I can't get it washed as much as I would like to. But like I said, I have had many new vehicles and they were driven about the same amount as the Subaru. The earliest I ever did brakes on was an 03 Passat but that was at about 5 years and 40K. I will be contacting Subaru soon to find out what they will or won't do.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
You're welcome. I wouldn't wait too long, once you get past the 36 mo's not much can be done.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
I just had full brakes on my 2013 Outback at 55K, including five Syracuse winters!
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
I was a mechanic at a Ford dealer for 13 years and brake rotors were covered for being warped. The brake pads would not be warranty, but with only 11,000 miles the pads should be fine. I have a 2019 Crosstrek with 36,500 miles no vibration at at all when braking and not one issue with the car at all
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
I said before that I haven't had any issues with the car but it did have 4 recalls that were fixed at no charge, none of which had any effect on the vehicles' performance at all.  1. Ignition Coil reprogram 2. PCV Valve Fracturing 3. radio reprograming 4. Brake hose swelling.  I've also never had a vehicle have that many recalls in such a short time of ownership. Still really like the car.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Subaru has been experiencing growing pains. With 94 months in a row of increased sales I'm surprised they haven't had more quality issues than they've actually had. They truly are a good car company that takes care of their customers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Mi Skier
Mi Skier wrote
I have a 2019 Crosstrek with 36,500 miles
Do you commute every day to Chicago?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Subaru has been experiencing growing pains. With 94 months in a row of increased sales I'm surprised they haven't had more quality issues than they've actually had. They truly are a good car company that takes care of their customers.
my 2011 runs like a top..
my 2014  burns oil and eats brakes..then again i drive like a maniac .. is there any other way to drive?
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
JasonWx wrote
my 2011 runs like a top..
my 2014  burns oil and eats brakes..then again i drive like a maniac .. is there any other way to drive?
Not that I'm aware of. However, when I drove into NYC I was completely on the defensive side of driving. I'd freak the F out if I had to drive in there everyday. That was crazy shit.