classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
62 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Super Stoke

raisingarizona
campgottagopee wrote
No way we could beat the time of a car. It will take 2 days of riding to get up there. Hoping those tracks are loaded with snow! I can't imagine hitting  a rail ---- F that. Talk about a downer, or a very sudden stop.

Never thought of Maine. That's a haul from here in CNY, especially when we hope to ride out of here or at least ride out of Tug.
It’s funny Camp, at this point when I look at park features all I can see are the different ways I’m gonna end up in the ER!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Side note:

I’m 99.99% sure Moglmike is gladerunner.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
now i'm getting stoked!

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Agree

I want to live to ride another day

Yeah, I'm sure that's gladerunner II
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
raisingarizona wrote
the terrain actually very playful
Love that.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
raisingarizona wrote
Side note:

I’m 99.99% sure Moglmike is gladerunner.
Yea - me too but F'k him - this is all about Stoke.
I pick up my SL race stock skis next week. Nothing I would take west of the Mississippi. The older I get the few laps I can take in the BC, so I plan to do more lift served this season.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Just Booked the Plane ride to SLC for a week of bliss. Tomorrow I’ll book GMD - already have my lift tickets. Went for a long hike this weekend, started out at 8 degrees crunching in the snow in the high peaks. I get such a charge of that winter view of Colden from flowed lands all covered in snow and it’s only mid November.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
6 days at Alta for the family - 3 generations. A mostly annual event for us. Rooms booked, plane tickets and lift tickets bought. It may be 4 months away but that gives me time to work on lung capacity. Over the past several years I have found my legs can go all day but I run out of air fairly quickly.

I’m now really stoked for the season.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Lol are you Chuck's dad?
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
PeeTex wrote
6 days at Alta for the family - 3 generations. A mostly annual event for us. Rooms booked, plane tickets and lift tickets bought. It may be 4 months away but that gives me time to work on lung capacity. Over the past several years I have found my legs can go all day but I run out of air fairly quickly.

In March?  I'll be at Alta Lodge in April for a couple weeks meeting up with various friends.  Staying for the last day of the season for the first time.  My ski buddy has joined in the festivities a few times, so I thought I'd stick around and check it out.

In some ways, more excited about the week we'll be staying in SLC in February.  Haven't skied in Utah during mid-season for a few years.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
marznc wrote
PeeTex wrote

In March?  
March is usually a very good month. Although there can be some spring break people it's still not too crowded and there is never a line at Wildcat where our favorite terrain is anyway. I have had some great days there in April but what I usually find is that is bakes out by noon and if you don't have an overnight refresh you are following the sun waiting for things to soften. Feb can be really good too, although the wind can be brutal then. Most snows then are lower moisture content and powder lasts a long time.
The family vacation time is based on attendee availability.

Enjoy your time there, I remember one Easter we spent there and we were interlodged for 3 days with a 100"+ storm. When we got out it was 2 or 3 hours of great skiing and then it all baked out with the sun and the temps hitting in the 60s. I also remember a later April trip at Snowbird back around 2000 where it was like skiing in Feb with 3 days of cold and snow, no crowds and each run was refreshed. A box of chocolates as Forrest Gump would say.

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Lol are you Chuck's dad?
Chuck who?
Nope - I only have girls. My son-in-law, the "Meat Head" isn't even a Chuck (He's not really a meat head - but he drivers a Beamer and doesn't know which end of a screw driver to hold).
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Haha
One of our hunting crew is that way. 4.0 graduate of Cornell. If it's on a test he will ace it but God help him if he gets a flat tire. Lol
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
campgottagopee wrote
Haha
One of our hunting crew is that way. 4.0 graduate of Cornell. If it's on a test he will ace it but God help him if he gets a flat tire. Lol
Funny you say that, we were staying with them and he was late coming home, called and said he had a flat, I had to drive out and change it for him. However their daughter can turn a wrench
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by marznc
And this is why I like Alta March - my  grand daughter on Punch Bowl.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
PeeTex wrote
March is usually a very good month. Although there can be some spring break people it's still not too crowded and there is never a line at Wildcat where our favorite terrain is anyway. I have had some great days there in April but what I usually find is that is bakes out by noon and if you don't have an overnight refresh you are following the sun waiting for things to soften. Feb can be really good too, although the wind can be brutal then. Most snows then are lower moisture content and powder lasts a long time.
The family vacation time is based on attendee availability.

Enjoy your time there, I remember one Easter we spent there and we were interlodged for 3 days with a 100"+ storm. When we got out it was 2 or 3 hours of great skiing and then it all baked out with the sun and the temps hitting in the 60s. I also remember a later April trip at Snowbird back around 2000 where it was like skiing in Feb with 3 days of cold and snow, no crowds and each run was refreshed. A box of chocolates as Forrest Gump would say.
Have had fun skiing Alta in Feb, March, and April in the last ten years.  Reason for April in recent years is that my friends are there then, both for the North Country School reunion and for the spring break of my local friend with kids in middle school.  I'll be at Alta for a few days in Feb in the middle of a western ski safari.

Deepest powder I've skied at Alta during late season was on an April 15th.  25 inches overnight by the time the lifts started in the morning and 34 inches officially when the storm let up in the mid-afternoon.  Great fun!

I took my daughter to Alta Lodge during part of her 2-week early March spring break a few years ago.  It was the second week of March.  That year it was in the 50s at the base all week.  Started snowing a lot a few days after we left.  I went back in April per usual but she really got skunked.  Now her spring break is only 1-week for college, so may try to go in early season.  She's talked about working at Alta Lodge after college since she was in middle school.  I haven't discouraged her. :-)
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Been skunked a few times. I get the 10 day rollover pass so I feel like I have a season pass and don’t worry. The bar and the hot tub work if you have to quit early.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Watching a little tv tonight.

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
PeeTex wrote
And this is why I like Alta March - my  grand daughter on Punch Bowl.
Oh yeah! I’ve had a few days like that at Alta in March and April.

I’m hoping to do a LCC to Jackson trip with Cody next season. I need to get her some touring gear before we make that trip though. I would love to tour her south of the tram for the Cody > No Name > Four Pines tour and up on Glory, maybe even a twilight tour on the King to really round out her Jackson experience. We would probably stop in SLC for a night and ski the Bird. I have an old buddy on patrol there. The x was trying to convince me to do that this season but things are tight so we are going to Durango and Taos. I’ve never been to Taos and I’m really excited to check it out as well as visiting another old buddy. Durango is always fun, we have a lot of friends there and we really enjoy the town.