classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
65 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TINY ski areas on EC

ml242
PowderAssassin wrote
What's the smallest ski area you've been to? Has anyone been to the yawgoo valley in Rhode island? 163 vertical feet!(the true vertical. Most ec ski areas lie about vertical)

They seriously couldn't find a bigger hill in RI? That's a mound of dirt. To put it in perspective, wachusett's bunny hill is over 200 vertical feet. It's the ocean state's only remaining ski area. I hope it stays in business.
Do you mean they lie about the vert they have, period, or exaggerate the usefulness of that vertical?

Please post topos to out the liars.
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
LOL MadPat...what's the shortest amount of vert you've ever skied at Tux to keep the streak going?  Or anywhere?
That would definitely be July 2014 with the Mont Avila (6 meters - 20 ft) & Tuck combo (16 meters - 53 ft). To note, Tuck was much shorter but 3 ft more vertical than Cabrini Park and 3 ft less than Beaver Lake.

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2014/07/29/can-am-national-holidays-july-1-5-2014-world-cup-humidex-106-still-sick/

Ski Mad World wrote
C.S.V.S : Continuous Safe Vertical Snow? 6-meters in hot humid conditions versus 16-meters in cold (for Summer) with very strong winds. Three skiers versus a crazy nuts with US flag, skis, beer, a BBQ and a unicycle next to Chute???
We skied in June at Stowe on two different patches approximately 17 vertical meters - 56 ft. These were also the pretty small by ski streak standards, but we were exploring a variety of adventures.
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2014/06/30/stowe-vt-via-toll-road-june-1-2014-skiing-patches-for-105-turns/

Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
What's the smallest ski area you've been to? Has anyone been to the yawgoo valley in Rhode island? 163 vertical feet!(the true vertical. Most ec ski areas lie about vertical)

They seriously couldn't find a bigger hill in RI? That's a mound of dirt. To put it in perspective, wachusett's bunny hill is over 200 vertical feet. It's the ocean state's only remaining ski area. I hope it stays in business.
Do you mean they lie about the vert they have, period, or exaggerate the usefulness of that vertical?

Please post topos to out the liars.
They used to claim over 200 feet if I remember correctly, but now nothing on their website regarding vertical. Mt southington, ski sundown nearby also exaggerate their vertical.
http://www.freemaptools.com/elevation-finder.htm
You can do that yourself and see actual vertical. Just click on the map on top and at base in satteltite mode and subtract. There's aslo tru mountain veritcal website http://mountainvertical.com/

Here's a site claiming the old vertical of yawgoo at 245 vertical feet
http://skiing.about.com/od/rhodeislandskiresorts/p/yawgoovalley.htm

The lying about vertical is old school before advent of google topo maps where people can easily check, Looks like yawgoo is being honest now and making no mention on their new site about vertical drop at all.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

kenneywallace
Beartown new york is defently tiny, as is bratling ski slopes, both around 200'

Lowest vert ive skied is the bunny tow at Labrador,  has to be under 40 feet

Near binghamton
virgal ski center ....... befor greek
smith hill ski club.....150' probly alot less
ski slope in bainbridge ..... 75 ' or so
Anderlan......  100'
Innsbruck usa...4-500 feet.... shame this one is gone, short runs but decent steeps, could still ski some trails their actuly, remarkable intact mine the lodge and lifts ( albit narrow)
If I came into money I would try to open a place like innsbruck back up, discount for public transit, and a cheeper alternitive to greek labe or song,  could have a nitch
Black diamonds, the easy way down, less moving hazzards
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Reported here on NY Ski Blog (with a video!): East Hill, NY
http://nyskiblog.com/east-hill-ny-122510/
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I want to hit Polar Peak.  It's private, so I'd need to swing an invite:

http://nyskiblog.com/polar-peak-ski-bowl/

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

skiman2244
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
When I was a kid I skied at Fawhnstock State Park. All they had was one rope tow. Not much more than 250' vertical.Crowded with many never ever skiers getting their scarves tangled up on the rope tow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'd forgotten that I skied Belle Mountain (aka Belle Bump) in NJ after it was closed, earning turns on nordic skis.

According to NELSAP 175 feet of vert:

http://www.nelsap.org/nj/belle.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Harvey wrote
I'd forgotten that I skied Belle Mountain (aka Belle Bump) in NJ after it was closed, earning turns on nordic skis.

According to NELSAP 175 feet of vert:

http://www.nelsap.org/nj/belle.html
Belle Mountain was my dad's home mountain as a kid.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by warp daddy
I used to live in Watertown and did training for their ski school in exchange for lift tickets and beer.

Dry hill is short but it has enough pitch to make for some nice powder nights when the lake effect is cranked up.  They are closed Monday so if you hit it right it can be pretty deep and you can get face shots.   Great local place to ski for a few hours and have a few beers on a weekday night after work.  Every body knows every body there except for the troops from Ft Drum.  I kind of miss it.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
Pheasant Run formerly located in Leominster, MA. I think it's mentioned in Lost Ski Areas of New England. I believe it is now a suburban neighborhood.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
indian lake t-bar
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by Z
In reply to Coach :

Yeah Dry Hill can be fun i titally agree , we were down there yesterday picking up our free season passes, we ski ski there in addition to our season. Passes at Titus and various road trips and i always have a great time at the Mighty Dry Hill

Spoke with Timmy the owner yesterday at the Ski swap , he is a GREAT guy as are the guys on the SP who i know . i was  busting on him yesterday since Timmy was elected last week in his first try at elected office . He will be a great councilman
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
I learned to ski on Long Island in the early 70's.  There was not 200 vertical feet.  Its a golf course now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Great thread.
Reply | Threaded
|

kenneywallace
Smaller east coast areas near ny

Beartown
indian lake
polar peak
ski venture
four seasons
skinniatlas ski club
battling
dry hill
powder mills park
Schroon lake
dynimite hill
otis ridge ( realy cool place for a small guy)
holiday mountian ( not to be confused with holiday valley)
sawkill
Val bious ( know I killed the spelling, the city owned one in utica)
true north slopes ( vermont, think thats the name)
cortina valley (a g years ago maybe? Herd they may have used the lower hill)
mc.culley mt. ( not over 500'?)

Feel free to add what I missed but I think theis guys are active and under 500' vert ( cortina I know isnt but ive herd a rummor somewhere that they did)
Black diamonds, the easy way down, less moving hazzards
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by kenneywallace
kenneywallace wrote
Innsbruck usa...4-500 feet.... shame this one is gone, short runs but decent steeps, could still ski some trails their actuly, remarkable intact mine the lodge and lifts ( albit narrow)
If I came into money I would try to open a place like innsbruck back up, discount for public transit, and a cheeper alternitive to greek labe or song,  could have a nitch
  It was out of business before I began skiing, but I've hiked and biked there several times, now Aqua Terra Park. I would've loved to have had the option so close to town. They had night skiing too, would've been much more attractive than driving all the way to Greek for weekday turns after work. It'd be fun to earn some turns there after a storm now, there are some legit steeps there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Cornhead wrote
kenneywallace wrote
  It was out of business before I began skiing, but I've hiked and biked there several times, now Aqua Terra Park. I would've loved to have had the option so close to town. They had night skiing too, would've been much more attractive than driving all the way to Greek for weekday turns after work. It'd be fun to earn some turns there after a storm now, there are some legit steeps there.
Ive always been interested in that place.  Seems like it has some real potential being so close to town but, everyone I talk to says it will never be reopened.
Reply | Threaded
|

SnowSnake
I learned to ski outside of Albany at Maple Ski Ridge, and before they installed their triple chairlift it was pretty darn small (not that it is big now).  It is a great place to learn to ski though, I also ended up teaching lessons there on week nights in high school, which was a great learning experience as well.  
Reply | Threaded
|

perskine77
I've skied Tuxedo Ridge, Mt. Peter, Campgaw, and Hidden Valley.  Camgaw by far is the smallest of the bunch in the NY/NJ area, it's also the worst for icing up.