classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
122 messages Options
12345 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tales from the Hinterland: 2017/2018 edition

Telemark Dave
Effin eh.  BTW, that list seems pretty lacking in Québécois cultural jargon..  
Cinquante:  beer.
Pepsi: Pepsi
DuMaurier: cigarettes
Merde: poop
Danseuse : stripper.
There's lots more that SBR prolly knows as he is from The West Island.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Telemark Dave wrote
Effin eh.  BTW, that list seems pretty lacking in Québécois cultural jargon..  
Cinquante:  beer.
Pepsi: Pepsi
DuMaurier: cigarettes
Merde: poop
Danseuse : stripper.
There's lots more that SBR prolly knows as he is from The West Island.
Well, Cinquante is a particular flavour of beer (Labatt's 50). Hmm, I will have dig back in the memory bank for more Quebec-focused Hinterlandanisms. One of my faves is "hotdog" which translates to "hot dog" instead of the "French from France" version, which is "chien chaud." Of course, if you want to get technical, there is the awesome "hotdog steamé" which is you can get just across the border from New York. Puis des frites.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Some real snow at last. Telemark Dave was talking about poaching some fast grass this morning, not sure if he did. I think I'll wait till it gets legalized next year.

Didn't ski but I fire up the orange monster and tackled the driveway for the first time this season:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Nice snow toy SBR !!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Nada fast grass today.. Must be getting old and jaded.. But mostly lacking any gumption.. BTW, if you look very carefully, there's a sticker on SBR's Kubota.. It's red and white, and says "Drive it if you can".  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
I have nothing to add but I just wanted to check in and say that Tales from the Hinterland is one of my favorite threads here on NYSB. Keep it coming.

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
riverc0il wrote
I have nothing to add but I just wanted to check in and say that Tales from the Hinterland is one of my favorite threads here on NYSB. Keep it coming.
Thanks rivercOil..  Kind words!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Telemark Dave wrote
riverc0il wrote
Thanks rivercOil..  Kind words!
Agreed and thanks, rivercOil.

Sometimes life in the Hinterlands is a bit trying but after calling the tow truck, I was able to call on TD to give me and the dog a lift home. Thanks, bro. Just a busted belt but the car doesn't go far with no power steering or electrical power.

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave

The view of my front yard and drive this AM..  When we still had a smidgen of snow..  The forecast for the next week or two is grim...  
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Telemark Dave wrote
  The forecast for the next week or two is grim...  
Quite grim, really. Maybe you should have bought a used fat bike instead of those fancy new fat skis. Same store, different floor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
  The forecast for the next week or two is grim...  
Quite grim, really. Maybe you should have bought a used fat bike instead of those fancy new fat skis. Same store, different floor.
No need for even a fat bike with this weather.. I guess I'll just keep paddling..  Just like last year....and the year before......  I sense a trend...  Time to reassess where to spend the next few winters of my life - like a place that actually has a winter..  
Reply | Threaded
|

Chuuurles
I can explain more about my current job upon completion. On topic, 14 day trend is starting to look promising :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Chuuurles wrote
I can explain more about my current job upon completion. On topic, 14 day trend is starting to look promising :)
Chuuurles the master spy.

Regarding the weather, yes, though anything would look promising compared to an inch of glop on ice or frozen ground. Though MSLM is open, so there is that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
So given that this is now December, I thought I'd better check in here..  
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Telemark Dave wrote
So given that this is now December, I thought I'd better check in here..
There is some hope in the forecast:

WeatherOffice.gc.ca wrote
4:54 AM EST Tuesday 05 December 2017
Snow squall watch in effect for:

Bracebridge - Gravenhurst
    Huntsville - Baysville
    Port Carling - Port Severn
    Town of Parry Sound - Rosseau - Killbear Park

Snow squalls are expected to develop. Under the snow squall bands, visibilities will be significantly reduced due to the heavy snow combined with blowing snow, and snow will quickly accumulate.

Conditions are expected to become favourable for lake effect snow squalls from Lake Huron and Georgian Bay beginning this evening.

The lake effect snow bands are expected to form quickly this evening and will persist through Wednesday.

Latest indications suggest that 15 cm of snow are possible in the heaviest snow squalls tonight and Wednesday.

Strong and gusty winds are also expected to result in sudden very low visibility at times in blowing snow during the snow squalls.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
It is a blurry blizzard out there! The snow you see is all new in the last 12 hours and is still coming down. Ironically, I am planning on driving to town tonight and see the Warren Miller movie.

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Every time I see you post I click in to take a look at the chair.  Good to see you are getting some.  Driving in a blizzard is always a joyful experience for me, you are lucky!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
tjf1967 wrote
Every time I see you post I click in to take a look at the chair.  Good to see you are getting some.  Driving in a blizzard is always a joyful experience for me, you are lucky!!
Thanks for checking in, I appreciate the fact that the chair has a certain cult status. Here's a snapshot of the current radar, streamers are tracking west to east, I live near Huntsville. More to come!

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Shit dude you are way the hell up there.  I pulled a big map and it looks like you are in a lake effect power band.  
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
It's not north until you hit Timmins.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
12345 ... 7