classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
122 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tales from the Hinterland: 2017/2018 edition

Sick Bird Rider
tjf1967 wrote
Shit dude you are way the hell up there.  I pulled a big map and it looks like you are in a lake effect power band.
Yeah, but we like it like like that. Lots of snow and little hills.

D.B. Cooper wrote
It's not north until you hit Timmins.
Try to explain that to the tourists.

----------------------------------------------

In today's news, we have 48 hour accumulation totals as recorded on the snow chair:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Seeing as how my birthday is Sunday, could you ensure a track is set to Secret and Bonk Hills, please and thank you.   I don't ask for much....  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
You guys cheered me up with the chair pic. I'm looking forward to the next episode
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm a fan of the chair as well
Reply | Threaded
|

Chuuurles
i feel like i am cheating on the chair, when i see it on FB.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Chuuurles wrote
I know, eh? I do feel somewhat dirty posting it there. Will save the best for here.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Chuuurles wrote
I know, eh? I do feel somewhat dirty posting it there. Will save the best for here.
OMG!!! You're whoring your chair out?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
campgottagopee wrote
OMG!!! You're whoring your chair out?
Don't worry Camp, it is all in the name of skiing. Now that I have a smartphone, I am thinking of starting and Instagram feed devoted solely to snow chair pictures. Gotta figure how to make a phone call first, though.

Here is today's chair, EXCLUSIVELY for the NYSB gang. Haven't made it out to ski yet, letting things settle a bit.

Edit: Ooops, wrong picture, back shortly.

Here you go, this is from earlier today. Another 4 inches or so overnight:

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
NYSKiBlog ......I've Seen the Chair
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
holy nice lake effect.  You better get out there and start breaking the trail for the B-day boy its going to take a little longer than usual.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
tjf1967 wrote
holy nice lake effect.  You better get out there and start breaking the trail for the B-day boy its going to take a little longer than usual.
Ha, it is still dumping so why bother? Plus, I thought I would let TD have first tracks for his birthday. What are friends for?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
So, I thought it would be good idea to shovel out the trail to the woodshed, which we haven't visited since the snow started falling four days ago. On average, the untracked snow in our yard is knee-deep, which on me, is 49 cm (18.5 inches). Wow.

Too dark for pics, you'll just have to take my word for it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Well then.   Fine.   I'll set teh track to Secret and Bonk  tomorrow.  Actually my Birthday is Monday, Dec 11th.   I had lost track of what day it was currently.  
To be considerate, I will abide by the "leave no trace" ethos, and cover up my tracks.  That way you can feel like you're getting first dibs.. .........

JOKING!!!  BWAHAHA!  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chuuurles
Got home last night :) . Arrreeeee we thinking enough snow for nickel ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
No.  But it will certainly provide a good base.  I'm just about to head to Gords to meet Le Cheffie and plunder Secret Hill... Carefully. The ground  is not frozen and there's no base..  Just the aforementioned 40+ cm.. Could be sketch. 😁
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Chuuurles
Chuuurles wrote
Got home last night :) . Arrreeeee we thinking enough snow for nickel ?
LeChef would know better but I doubt that the river is frozen. Bring a canoe!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Well, if I must miss skiing by having to go to work, I might as well waste time and post the daily chair pic. Taken earlier this morning:

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
TR:  First Trax in the Ravenscliffe Highlands..  
(It's called "highlands" because the locals are so friggen high that they confuse inches with cm when snow reporting!)

At least the base area parking was cleared..

18"???  Must have consolidated!

Jeff LeCheff committed anyway.. I followed with a lot of swearing on the ski down Secret Hill.

By the time we got to the top of Bonk Hill Jeff was lamenting his couch potato ways..  Though it was pretty warm to start with..  Then we skinned right by Bonk and had to back track..  
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Telemark Dave wrote
...Then we skinned right by Bonk and had to back track..
What, you couldn't find the direct route home? It is a bit obscure.

Excellent work, gentlemen. I must admit the 18" measure came from a relatively small sample area. It's kind of like the snow hole they use for snow reporting at certain ski resorts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
We skied by the top of Bonk.. Like inches away..  And kept going looking for it., almost got to the jeep road.. Then realizing what we (ok, I) had done, backtracked to Bonk.  Skied down - I actually enjoyed it.. to the beaver pond.  Made our way around it to the road.  
BTW, lots of wolf tracks, including a smaller one.