124 messages Options
1 ... 34567
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tales from the Hinterland: 2018/2019 edition

Sick Bird Rider
^ Nicely done.

Meanwhile, having a combination snow/sick day here at SBRHQ. As in, it's a snow day but I'm sick. Mending though.

The chair yesterday morning, showing some deterioration after the mild spell last week.:

The chair this morning, after a very blustery and snowy night. I am getting concerned about the picnic table:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Telemark Dave wrote
Did you stick the landing?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Harvey wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
Did you stick the landing?
Yup. You betcha. One foot at a time.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
This post was updated on .
Some  various pics of backcountry action here in the Hinterlands over the last few weeks..  enjoy!

Dafe...

Randolph P.

Jeff the Mann

Nate Smith

Scott T.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Love this thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
So, my physical therapist, Dr. Greib, was of the opinion today that I should go skiing, and my awesome wife thought that skiing was a much better idea than shoveling the roof. A short tour was undertaken and I can now report that the skin tracks from SBRHQ to Secret Hill, Jackrabbit to Bonk and top o' Bonk back to SBRHQ are in. And one blissful set of tracks was laid down on Secret Hill. And my shoulder only aches a little. And holy crap, laying low gets you out of shape in a hurry.

It just won't stop snowing. Roads were a mess but the woods were inviting.

It is deep out there.

The wind-scoured summit of Secret Hill. Aspect is everything.

Wooty de woot woot woot!

A blank canvas downhill.

Putting on skins was a bit of a clusterfuck, since I am currently functioning with one and a half arms.

It's OK, I'm not having a heart attack. And yes, I am probably due for a trim.

Bonk Hill. Save it for later.

Theme song for today:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Nice effort SBR. Great pics as always.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Yes! Awesome stuff here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
FKNA win today for McV  and I.  First ones, and only ones skiing Limberlost Hill ..  there was another 10” of fresh on top of the 20” from Wednesdays storm.   First freakin’ trax again!  We both OD’d on endorphins..

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Todays TR (SBR and I went for a ski) is a serving of humble pie, and a side of shit happens.
Enjoy.

Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
Been there done that, the curse of deep snow or bad maintenance. The wind this fall/ early winter has been a problem, all our trails were well cleared before the early wet snow , it's been constant cleaning since and some of it is frozen in. I always have my saw.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
BRLKED wrote
Been there done that, the curse of deep snow or bad maintenance. The wind this fall/ early winter has been a problem, all our trails were well cleared before the early wet snow , it's been constant cleaning since and some of it is frozen in. I always have my saw.
This was a good lesson in not getting complacent when the snow is deep and all known hazards seem to be buried. The hidden pungi stick must have come down in an early winter storm and frozen in place. It is an area we clear quite diligently every fall. There was no way of knowing it was there, until I heard the "clank" of TD's ski hitting wood.

Spectacular crash though. And the aftermath was something else again...
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by BRLKED
Ed is my hero.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider

The impact zone, looking uphill.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
The chair abides but the woodshed is quite remarkable:

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
That is one talented shed right there
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Long time no ski but I managed to drag myself out of the house on the first day of spring for a nice morning tour. Crust skiing season is upon us and skinnier skis are in their element.

The chair and table have lost a bit of coverage lately but there is still a tonne of snow. That speck on the top of the chair is a wayward bug.

The snow is firm but the sun is oh, so nice.

When you get to the junction of Wolf and Hare, go straight.

Remember the pungi stick that was TD's undoing? Still there and very firmly embedded.

I followed my skis and ended up on the bog.

Big and fresh tracks. Utah the wonderdog is a little elderly for a long tour and I was kind of glad he wasn't there when I saw these tracks.

Two tracks diverged on a frozen bog, and I went the other way.

Some open water! Spring is surely coming.

Sidestepping conditions were excellent on Bonk Hill.

Self portrait with window. The roofalanche debris is deep, that lower window sill is about four feet off the ground.

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Its been a good year up in the hinterlands
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Winter must be over, I'm sitting in the chair. Stay tuned for warmer weather adventures,,,

1 ... 34567