124 messages Options
1234 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tales from the Hinterland: 2018/2019 edition

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
Well, Telemark Dave went skiing on a golf course today, so I figured I'd better fire up the old thread to get things going for this season. Here's the snow chair from a few days ago, there's a bit more now but it is too dark for photos (damn time change):

There is some cool stuff to talk about, for example, some of our crew have negotiated permission to do some glading on private land, opening runs on a long abandoned ski hill. More on that later.

We have been holding off on skiing in the woods since the ground is so wet underneath. I think it is "go time" now.

If you are new here, and are saying WTF, this story has been going for a while. Here is your opportunity to catch up:

2010/11: Tales-from-the-Hinterland-an-ongoing-saga
2011/12: lost for a few years, this season was recently rediscovered: Tales-from-the-Hinterland-winter-of-2011-2012
And, if I may, call your attention to a few separate and fun TRs from that season:
the Dog Day Ski Adventure
The Tour de Valley
and, SBR Has an Epiphany
2012/13: Tales-from-the-Hinterland-2012-13-edition
Special TR from March 2013: A Dream Comes True, Sort Of.
2013/14: Tales-from-the-Hinterland-2013-2014-edition
2014/15: Tales-from-the-Hinterland-2014-2015-edition

2015/16: Tales-from-the-Hinterland-2015-2016-edition
2016/17: Tales-from-the-Hinterland-2016-2017-edition
2017/18: Tales-from-the-Hinterland-2017-2018-edition
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tales from the Hinterland: 2018/2019 edition

Brownski
That is one voluptuous looking chair right there.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Brownski wrote
That is one voluptuous looking chair right there.
Agreed, but I don't dare sit in it.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967

It's good to see the chair
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
tjf1967 wrote

It's good to see the chair
The chair abides.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
I'd say your woods look open for business.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
So yeah, I went for a meadow skip on a local goof course, mostly on account of the aforementioned dirt base under about 10 inches of fresh.
Fast grass is a good insurance policy.

Being still smitten with Voile Love, I used my Charger BC's, which seemingly shocked SBR at first.. But like getting turned into a newt by a witch,  he got better.  

Strangely, the course was empty.  golfers are so weak sauce..

Although I called it a skin track on FB, we all know it was a fish scale track..

I toured and skipped my way around the back nine, occaisionally finding a wee slope to lay down a couple la-dee-da type turns..  

Just as I was ending up my skip, I happened upon a fine little slope below the 10th tee.   Funny how old habits are hard to break.. I farmed a few turns for a few runs listening to a Tragically Hip tune ear worm in my head.   Looked up to the Gord above and said, hey man thanks..  
Thanks. Yup.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Fore!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Looks like some good GC BC.

Not a bad way to start the season.  Snow looks a lot better than the schlop we get down on this side of the lakes.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
I was wondering how the chair was doing. Looking good!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Yes! It’s great to see that you guys are “teeing off” in the Hinterland!

As always, I look forward to following along.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
I sense another amazing and epic installment is nigh..

"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Welcome back my brothers.

Sick Bird Rider wrote
There is some cool stuff to talk about, for example, some of our crew have negotiated permission to do some glading on private land, opening runs on a long abandoned ski hill. More on that later.
Is it later yet?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey wrote
Is it later yet?

Short version: the two Jeffs (LeChef and the Man) chatted with the forest managers at the Limberlost Forest & Wildlife Reserve. This is a huge private forest currently owned by one of the wealthiest families in Hinterlandia. It has trails, cabins, hills, woodlands, brook trout lakes and the oldest still-standing t-bar in North America. (check out the history section on the website). The trails are open to the public and free, you just have to sign in. Many of our crew have been skiing on the hill over the years but it is pretty overgrown. The Jeffs convinced the forester that it would be beneficial to open up some glades and create an opportunity for easy-to-access BC skiing. Back in October, 13 souls showed up for an organized work day, and there been some unofficial work days since then. I was away so couldn't attend but TD was there. We see this as a small first step to being a little more organized, getting more folks out earning their turns and developing some skiable areas that don't have be kept secret.

Here are a few pics I downloaded from FB, so may not be the best quality.

Pruning crew at the summit shack:

Mad beavering on the hill. Some folks drove all the way from Toronto to help (3 hour drive):

The t-bar line looks excellent:

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
Ok, ski season is officially open in the local backbush. TD made up some excuse to leave work early and showed up at SBRHQ at 3 pm-ish. LeChef was going to join in but unfortunately got stuck at home fixing his snowblower. Some kind of sad irony there, I reckon.

The snow chair this morning:

Some Charger love as we head for the hills:

SBR and TD are very happy to be skiing again:

One of the keys to safe tree skiing at low tide is going places you know well. We have been skiing on Secret Hill for about 10 years, not to mention the sweat equity of pruning. We choose the well developed line on skier's right, though you can see there is still some potential hazards lurking. Fat rockered skis help keep you above the nasties as well.

Here's TD starting the run that resulted in in the tracks above.

Finally, we trekked over to Bonk Hill, our original glade project, for first tracks there. It is steeper, a bit shorter and definitely needs some more snow. But it was fun for a few turns before sunset:

Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
That's LOW tide.  Jeebus.  That's full-on best it gets for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Secret Hill for the win!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Short version: the two Jeffs (LeChef and the Man) chatted with the forest managers at the Limberlost Forest & Wildlife Reserve. This is a huge private forest currently owned by one of the wealthiest families in Hinterlandia. It has trails, cabins, hills, woodlands, brook trout lakes and the oldest still-standing t-bar in North America. (check out the history section on the website). The trails are open to the public and free, you just have to sign in. Many of our crew have been skiing on the hill over the years but it is pretty overgrown. The Jeffs convinced the forester that it would be beneficial to open up some glades and create an opportunity for easy-to-access BC skiing. Back in October, 13 souls showed up for an organized work day, and there been some unofficial work days since then. I was away so couldn't attend but TD was there. We see this as a small first step to being a little more organized, getting more folks out earning their turns and developing some skiable areas that don't have be kept secret.
This is so primo SBR. Nice!

Looks like some vert?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I'm in love with the chair.  Great report from the hinterlands.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Man, I've become a skittish scaredy cat.  Is this what happens with age?  Faaaack..........

Harv,  there's a couple few hundred feet at Limberlost.. About the same as our local still operating ski area.. But actually better, as its all a consistent fall line.  Hidden Valley is like skiing on a friggen bowling ball.  
1234 ... 7