Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tales from the Hinterland: 2018/2019 edition

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
SBR what has you on the DL?
Tendinitis in my left shoulder. Skiing is not a good plan since poling is irritating to the joint. Certain movements cause excruciating short-term pain, so I try to avoid those. But, it is easy to forget and do something instinctively. Slowly improving with physio and acupuncture therapy. It's not so much that I can't ski but I shouldn't ski.

And to top things things off, I have an appointment for a root canal procedure on Tuesday. I'm a mess!
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
SBR
Why don’t you find some ski blades and hit the park poleless? No arm exertion that way.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Brownski wrote
SBR
Why don’t you find some ski blades and hit the park poleless? No arm exertion that way.
You funny guy, Brownski!  

I did consider dusting off my snowboard but then realized that there was a very high probability off falling and not being able to get up. Slowshoeing it is for now though I may attempt a mellow ski tour this weekend.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
A snowshoeing TR would be pretty cool too
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Brownski wrote
OK, will work on it.

Meanwhile, I am getting a little concerned about the safety of the chair.

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Brownski wrote
OK, will work on it.

Meanwhile, I am getting a little concerned about the safety of the chair.

Whoooaaaahh!  Ok, I’ll be out there tomorrow to do a snow safety assessment..  maybe it just needs a good ski cut..
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Damn.  That thing needs an avalanche sign next to it.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
So today I hooked up with my old chum McVittie, and made a beeline to another old friend.. Pipeline.  As it was, we scored first trax, which given the recent surge in backcountry participation around these parts, was indeed a surprise.  The snow was pretty dense powder, certainly not to be confused with blower by even the most drug addled mind.. (McVitties...🤪).
It was a great earn your turns afternoon, even though we were almost smoked by a sledneck intent on nuking our skintrack.. but no matter, its just part of life here in the hinterlands.

Started the tour with an triple shot espresso pick-me-up!

See.. sledneck tracks ontop of our skintrack!

15” of heavy pow..

McVitties style is classic 80’s Steve Barnett..  but its sll good
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Ahh, Pipeline. Even looks good sideways.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Is that an Escalade I see? Fancy!
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Brownski wrote
Is that an Escalade I see? Fancy!
Avalanche.. But the fancy pants high end model. Dave’s, not mine.  Apropos vehicle, yes?
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Ahh, Pipeline. Even looks good sideways.
Well yeah!  But I have no clue why some pics load that way from my phone on this forum..  and theres no way I can see to rotate them..  
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Highest I've seen it. How long you been posting the chair?
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Hot damn! You boys have got some winter going on up there!
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
raisingarizona wrote
Hot damn! You boys have got some winter going on up there!
Sort of..  we keep getting snow..followed by thaws and/or rain.  Its raining right now.
So long story short - we have and will have a tremendous base!  
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Ugh. That sounds frustrating.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
raisingarizona wrote
Ugh. That sounds frustrating.
Yep. Was out with the dawg about an hour ago, you can knock on the surface of the bounteous snow and not break through. Breakable crust from hell. Then it will freeze on Tuesday and get worse. Not so good for others but at least I won't feel so bad rehabbing my shoulder.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
This post was updated on .
So better late than never .

Got out for a fun day of woods skiing with my old chum McVittie this past Sunday.  Skiing with him is more about the fun than the skiing, but we managed to seamlessly morph both together.  Good times...

Dave (yes thats his name too.. ) is always amped !

We found a natty glade, low angle trees are always fun!

Theres a pretty darn deep base in this area of the hinterlands.  

Dave got a bit waylaid at one point, but he found his way back..

You can see why he occasionally gets disoriented.. he’s a multi- tasker!  Home brew and a spliff!

Regardless of his state of mind, McV still manages to ski his way through life..  and that, my friends, is what its all about.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
McV sent me a couple pics - he took a ton but most were of bark and other questionable subjects..  

Yours truly surveying the situation..  the higher you get, the higher you get!

Mellow skiing on a mellow day in a mellow glade..