124 messages Options
12345 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tales from the Hinterland: 2018/2019 edition

Telemark Dave
Cunningstunts wrote
That's LOW tide.  Jeebus.  That's full-on best it gets for me.
Occaisionally we get a King Tide in November. This is four years ago, to the date.

It was knee deep, two feet minimum.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
I'm in love with the chair.  Great report from the hinterlands.
Thanks tj, we keep trying. The notoriety of the chair is quite remarkable.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
All is ok in the world.
The chair lives.
It's official!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Niiice!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Pulled out the the really fat rockered boards today:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Pulled out the the really fat rockered boards today:

Those are the waxless backcountry version, really cool.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
PeeTex wrote
Those are the waxless backcountry version, really cool.
Yes, good thing too, as that sinew wax is really hard to find these days. If anyone cares, the slowshoes are a 1952 "pickerel nose" style made by Snocraft Inc. in Norway, Maine. Mine have "U.S." stamped on them, which confirms they were military issue. According to the Internet, they were made for use in the Korean War. The two pairs I obtained came through a surplus jobber who bought the contents of a container that was discovered on a base in Nevada. They were like new when I got them 20 years ago, though the leather bindings had deteriorated to the point of being unusable.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jeff LeChef
On that local note, I spotted Captain Funkatelic the other day. Once again he's out roaming the woods...
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Jeff LeChef wrote
Yes!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
There have been yetis seen in the woods lately.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
Second time’s a charm, here goes:

The chair does not lie, but then again the chair does not tell the whole story. This picture is from two days ago and not much has changed, other than the fiery orb appearing in the heavens and the normally grey sky turning a rare colour of blue. The snow has been rained on, refrozen, rained again and refrozen again. As a result it has the consistency of stale sponge toffee and is less than desirable for skiing. I mean, you could ski on it if you had to, but who really has to?

In light of that, on Saturday I teamed up with notable locals Karl Ullr and Jeff LeChef  and attended the 35th annual Ski Telemark Warm-Up Day at Mount St. Louis Moonstone Ski Resort in central Hinterlandia. I even waxed my namesake skis for the occasion:

MSLM could be considered the Killington of Ontario, if snowmaking firepower is the main criteria for judgment. Let’s just leave vertical drop out of the discussion.

Ski Telemark is a mobile ski school created in the 80s by my friends Holly and Steve. After taking a tele clinic at MRG from NATO guru Dickie Hall, they decided to spread the gospel of telemark here in Hinterlandia. Amazingly, they continue to do so to this day. The Warm-Up Day is a fun event designed to get telemarkers fired up for the season ahead, combining clinics, tele-fellowship, dinner, entertainment and great door prizes all in one day. I can’t claim to have attended all of them but I do have a few under my belt. For this celebration, I wore the instructor jacket I am seen sporting in this 80s-vintage image, from the day we demonstrated telemark technique on an artificial snow ramp in downtown Toronto (that’s me on the left).

Of course, my 80s-level instructor skills have all but evaporated in the era of plastic and buckles, so I signed up for a clinic focused on “Finding your centre” with Rob and Garry. Rob and I go way back, in fact he failed me on my first attempt at becoming a certified telemark instructor 30+ years ago. Not holding any grudges, I signed up for his class because I know he is an exceptionally talented skier and technical instructor.

It was great day, with excellent early season snow conditions and well over 30 telemarkers in one place. Once skiing was finished, we relaxed, had refreshments, watched “A Telemark Tale,” ate a good dinner and everybody won some kind kind of swag.

What a fine way to start the season!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Looks like some fine Tele fun, my brethren.

Trying to decide how and when I might spend my very few lift-served days.  Hopefully I can remember how to use my edges
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
Cunningstunts wrote
Trying to decide how and when I might spend my very few lift-served days.  Hopefully I can remember how to use my edges
Pick your days well. Go when conditions are forgiving and ski with other telemarkers if you can. Stoke is contagious.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The chair is the snowlovers equivalent of a girl in a bikini. It doesn't really matter that much if her hair is wet.

I had also heard that Killington is the MSLM of Vermont.

Dickie Hall is my hero. Is he a good guy or just a legend?

Sick Bird Rider wrote
This is awesome.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
That’s some quality stuff right there SBR!

Nicely done Sir.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Nice, SBR!! You gotta dig the Tele Love!!

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Wait till you see the chair. This is from my driveway a few minutes ago. Still snowing. Reboot the mission.

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Here ya go. What a difference a day makes, not to mention a little lake effect:

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Jeff LeChef
Jeff LeChef wrote
On that local note, I spotted Captain Funkatelic the other day. Once again he's out roaming the woods...
Just now getting caught up on my dose of the chair

This right here is continued proof I want to party with you guys!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
campgottagopee wrote
This right here is continued proof I want to party with you guys!
Yo, Campy, when you coming night skiing with us?

12345 ... 7