classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
58 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tele Boot Repair

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Well... I guess if you have tried both and chose one, then that's a pretty open-minded decision.  

More often than not it's Alpine skiers who've not tried Tele.

But hey, if you like equipment that works and doesn't have multiple standards, Alpine is by far the way to go.

OTOH, not many resort Tele skiers are using that binding MC2 shows in his diagram.  There's a lot less freedom in modern Tele than one might let on to.

Also, back to some real information.  As far as the Bishop, or the Burnt Mountain Designs NT (which I didn't mention), there's a real difference in function between something like the Outlaw or Rottefella bindings.  The former are NTN compatible, and the latter are NTN bindings.  What's the difference you may ask?  The compatible ones use the actual boot heel and not the NTN second heel a.k.a. duck butt.  Thus there is a real difference in how the boot compresses at the bellows with forward flex and how the torque is transferred from the boot sole to the binding.  That should be pretty evident by looking at the difference in position of the duck butt and the actual boot heel.

I don't know which works better or if there is really any real world, measurable difference, but some people prefer one over the other.  The NTN compatible bindings really just take a NTN boot and make it act like it's in a conventional 75mm active binding (like the Axl) but the NTN binding will take advantage of the inherent advantages or flaws in having the second heel, should you see it either way.

There's also TTS but for a resort binding, probably not the route you want to go.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Hmmmm,
I thought you guys were more open minded then that .... so disappointing
Can't tell if you're serious or just making a dumb internet joke, but I'd argue that, since Tele skiers can make Alpine turns all day long on Tele equipment, but Alpine skiers are stuck with one turning method, it is the Alpine skiers who aren't open to the full possibilities of sliding on snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Brownski wrote
Hmmmm,
Can't tell if you're serious or just making a dumb internet joke, but I'd argue that, since Tele skiers can make Alpine turns all day long on Tele equipment, but Alpine skiers are stuck with one turning method, it is the Alpine skiers who aren't open to the full possibilities of sliding on snow.
It was a joke.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Brownski wrote
Hmmmm,
You think there is only one turning method, and how long have you been teaching people how to ski? Better go back and take a few lessons yourself
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I meant that Tele skiers can Tele, momomark, Alpine, etc., using the complete freedom of movement available to Tele skiers

Not that Alpine skiers couldn't retract, stem, wedge, etc. All of those are available to Tele skiers, too.

Good job nitpicking on the internet, though. You seem like you've been itching for an argument ever since I started ignoring you on the political threads. Good.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote

It was a joke.
I actually got the joke, bro.  Free the heel, free the mind... blah, blah, blah...

I just chose to be a self-righteous blowhard in my response
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
You seem like you've been itching for an argument ever since I started ignoring you on the political threads. Good.
You keep bringing me up in your posts, all I do is remind you that your supposed to be ignoring me - which you can’t seem to do. It hilarious- your such an ass.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Take that^^ somewhere else.

I spoke to Scarpa last night. The guy I spoke to was very helpful and seemed cool.

The TX Pro has the same last at the T1, so I can mail order it and be confident the size will be correct.

He also told me that Shoe Goo needs more curing time than generally thought.  I did it this time on Mon, Tues and Weds, three coats, and it seem to hold today at magic.  Also I think filling in the holes was key.

I don't like tip toeing on my gear so I will probably bite the bullet and buy new boots at he most expensive time of year.

MC thanks for all your advice this am.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
MC... looking at Outlaw X, small and large. Do I assume I am a large? Boot size 275, shoe size 10.5.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey wrote
MC... looking at Outlaw X, small and large. Do I assume I am a large? Boot size 275, shoe size 10.5.
According to 22 D website, you'd be a Large:

"For NTN Bindings, the binding Size MUST match your boot size. Scarpa and Crispi boots 26.0 and under fit the Small Bindings, 26.5 and up are Large. For Scott/Garmont boots, the break is between 25.5 and 26.0."
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Sick Bird Rider wrote
According to 22 D website, you'd be a Large:

"For NTN Bindings, the binding Size MUST match your boot size. Scarpa and Crispi boots 26.0 and under fit the Small Bindings, 26.5 and up are Large. For Scott/Garmont boots, the break is between 25.5 and 26.0."
I saw that.  The woman on backcountry.com was talking about a medium but they don't exist.

OK I am in for NTN. $1029 for the Outlaw X large, TX Pro, shipping and tax. Coming Tues or Weds, need to find a good shop to mount.

I am pumped.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Interesting development, the Shoe Goo has really held up.  

I think I mentioned that the Scarpa guy said you need to give it several days to cure. The first time I only had 48 hours and that is the recommended cure time. But he said 4 or 5 days would be much better.

After two days curing the repair didn't last a full day.

The second time I did three things.

I filled in the three pin holes
I gave it 4.5 days to cure
I put ice tape on the binding

I didn;t skied them too hard at Plattekill, but the repair did hold up nicely.

I expected new boots and bindings today, but they are not here.  Once they are, I need a ski shop.

I'm repumped that I currently own a workable 75mm setup.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Out of focus, but you get the idea...
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Even if that end of the boot got chewed off I don't think it would hurt anything.  As long as the sides of the duckbill remain structurally intact I don't think there would be an issue.  Really it's the side (angled portion) of the boot wedging into the wings on the binding which keep you in there with a heel cable.

Just a suggestion, but I'd take those Outlaws and throw them on your other skis.  Even though they are eating your boots, I'm sure you'll ski a lot better with them than these Cobras or whatever you have on the other ones.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
MC or anyone with Outlaws...

Mine came today. Is there a marking that shows if the binding is Large or Small?

Trying to figure out now how to adjust the size of the "boot holder."
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
So the shoe goo is holding up much better than I anticipated. I may go with my current setup for a while.
Reply | Threaded
|

BKTele
Good luck with it holding up. Once you do switch I’m interested in how you like the new setup since I’m also thinking of changing to the TX Pro’s with Outlaw X’s from my approx 10 year old T2X’s with 22 Axels on K2 Pinnacle 95’s. T2x’s while old are still in pretty good shape.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
BKTele wrote
Good luck with it holding up. Once you do switch I’m interested in how you like the new setup since I’m also thinking of changing to the TX Pro’s with Outlaw X’s from my approx 10 year old T2X’s with 22 Axels on K2 Pinnacle 95’s. T2x’s while old are still in pretty good shape.
My T2Xs held up very well too. I was about to give them away until I started having these issues.

I'm curious about the NTNs too.

Welcome to the forum!