classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
58 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tele Boot Repair

Harvey
Administrator
My T1s are not three years old (I think). Any way they are in decent shape, except for the toes, which are almost fully trashed.

Can I fix or prolong life with some kind of goop?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tele Boot Repair

Brownski
Some toes on alpine boots are replaceable. I went through three sets over the course of my Koflachs’ lifespan. The pic is too zoomed in for me to see if those are replaceable. Are they just an extension of the sole or are they screwed on?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
No you have to resole. They are Vibram basically.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Did I notice you using Axl's on your skis?  I have Vices (same thing except no free pivot) and this is a common problem with them and Scarpa boots.

I don't know that your boots are repairable, but if you don't use the pin holes, it's probably not a big deal.  There is some thing you are supposed to do to lessen this, and I don't know what it is.  It's something with the plate in that area.  I'll see if I can look it up or in the mean time, I'd suggest you contact 22D.

MIght be limited to a T1 with that binding as well.  Read:

http://eddie.dnsprive.com/~telemark/viewtopic.php?t=812&start=10

Definitely contact 22D if you have those bindings as it is an issue with the binding itself, not the boot.  They may replace your bindings under warranty - but you may be screwed about the boots.  Good news, those don't look nearly as bad as some of the others.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Wow that is great beta. THANK YOU. Email sent to 22D.

I think I need new boots. I remember MC saying that there is a scarpa place near Albany. MC if you see this and could post... is it these guys:

https://www.highadventuresbp.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Time to go NTN Harvey. If you think your skiing went up a notch with the T1s wait until you ski NTN.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
No can do.

CS, SBR any one... do you think I could get away with some Shoe Goo for a while?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey wrote
No can do.

CS, SBR any one... do you think I could get away with some Shoe Goo for a while?
If you don't need the pinholes, then sure, try some Shoe Goo, FreeSole, AquaSeal, etc, just to clean it up and slow down the wear. If you are using these boots with pin bindings (no cables), then that is a different story and you should get some Smile Plates.

A friend gave me a pair of beat up Scarpas (T3 maybe?) and the pin holes were pooched. I tried to use them with my Lite Spikes and it was a no-go, boots kept falling out. So I tried using G-Flex flexible epoxy to fill in the damaged area but that wouldn't bond with the boot material and the repair didn't hold. So I gave up on those boots, which were a bit big anyway.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
Yeah.

But I agree with Marc. If you're gonna buy new boots, you might as well switch to NTN. Keep those boots for tooling around on. You're almost all the way to NTN anyway (4 buckle boot, active binding).

If it were me, though, I'd complain to Scarpa directly (the office in New Hampshire), and see if they would send me new boots.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Yeah.

But I agree with Marc. If you're gonna buy new boots, you might as well switch to NTN. Keep those boots for tooling around on. You're almost all the way to NTN anyway (4 buckle boot, active binding).

If it were me, though, I'd complain to Scarpa directly (the office in New Hampshire), and see if they would send me new boots.
Doubt Scarpa will do anything.  It's not the boots fault, it's the binding.

Axl's have been eating up T1s (and T2s apparently) for years.  I guess it doesn't happen on all of them but it's common enough that I knew what it was as soon as I saw the picture.

I think I even read in one of the other posts Scarpas response to the guy was "take it to a cobbler" being out of the warranty period.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
MC2 5678F589 wrote
If you're gonna buy new boots, you might as well switch to NTN. Keep those boots for tooling around on. You're almost all the way to NTN anyway (4 buckle boot, active binding).
I started my GoFundme. I'm shooting for $3000.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Realistically like $1100, $700 of which you were going to spend anyway.

Outlaw X and TX Comps or Pros.  Done.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
What bindings? I'd like something with 6 screws.

I wanted to use these skis and boots for 3 more years, then switch.  Was not planning on this.

If I had more time, I'd get them resoled and see what 22D could do to help.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
And hey, this would be my pitch...

Pressure 22D into giving you your purchase price of the Axl off of the Outlaw seen as how they ruined your $700 boots.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
What bindings? I'd like something with 6 screws.
http://www.twentytwodesigns.com/Outlaw-X-Telemark-Binding_p_114.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I like that idea.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Here'd be my other idea.

If 22D doesn't want the Axls back, then buy a cheap pair of used rock skis and mount them on there, then goop the T1s and use them until they are dust.

Those Whiterooms? you have are gorgeous skis, I would use those as my "regular" ski with the new boots and bindings.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Did you mount the Whiterooms directly with screws or inserts? I believe the Outlaws and the Axls are mounted with the same jig and screw pattern.

Since I've gotten my TX Pros, I've always thought I'd like the TX Comps better being stiffer, but now, having the toe inserts on the TX Pros may prove to be a plus given the new Lynx binding.  I'm interested in hearing any first hand beta on those if anyone has some.

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Cunningstunts wrote
Here'd be my other idea.

If 22D doesn't want the Axls back, then buy a cheap pair of used rock skis and mount them on there, then goop the T1s and use them until they are dust
I believe Harv is in the “all skis are rock skis” camp
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Marcski
Direct.