classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
231 messages Options
12345 ... 12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Bird Feeder

campgottagopee
Your're not kidding there!!!! ^^^^^ Those things can cause some real damage too.

What I've seen work is a silhouette of a coyote....kinda keeps the geese away
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
upon further review, there are 4 goslings along with that pair of geese.its the first sighting of the geese so the nest must have been somewhere else, halfway brook only 1/4 mile away with varied habitat surrounding the area. its likely they are just passing thru, would be kinda cool watching the little ones grow up tho
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
Ospreys nesting on the power pole across the river. I saw them go out fishing for a lunch late Saturday morning. I'll try to get photos soon. Chickadees nesting in our old water pump too. Five tiny eggs.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
This post was updated on .
very cool on the ospreys, bet it is very interesting keeping up on the progress of the chicks.  the geese they came over to the bigger pond sunday morn, spent the morning. were making a ugly mess, didnt want that all summer. i shooed them away so far they have stayed gone. i ve seen an oriole 2 evenings in a row. add cowbird to the list also.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
new additions; catbird, common yellowthroat, redbellied woodpecker, killdeer, white crowned sparrow
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
solitary sandpiper feeding at the pond
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I've seen plenty of Bald Eagles out West and up in Alaska, but this is the first one I've seen in the Adirondacks.
Northwest Bay, Lake George, 5/28/2012:

Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
Adk Jeff wrote
I've seen plenty of Bald Eagles out West and up in Alaska, but this is the first one I've seen in the Adirondacks.
Northwest Bay, Lake George, 5/28/2012:
You don't have to go far, Jeff.  A week and a half ago my wife and I paddled the Hudson upstream of Spier Falls west of Moreau and saw a bald eagle.  That area is known for its BE nesting spots.

Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Thanks Mike.  I knew about the eagles along that stretch of the Hudson from following the excellent Saratoga Woods and Waterways blog.  There are also eagles around Great Sacandaga Lake as well, among other locations not too far away.  Cool that you saw them while paddling.

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Saw a bald eagle twice in early May along the west branch between LP and Winkytown.  Second time it was carring a fish!!

On Tuesday a Brown Thrasher dropped by!  First one I've seen.  Got a real good look at it too!!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Michaeltokyo
i have seen bald eagles  on corinth rd along the hudson river near the queensbury water dept which is below spier falls.latest additions to the bird feeder list yellow warbler,rose breasted grosbeak
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
had rose breasted gross beaks in April.  Hope they come back.  Beautiful bird.  nice on the yellow warbler!  Another awesome looking bird!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
flushed a ruff grouse on Sunday while trainning for Leadville.  We were on Bloodhill Road at a point where the road declines slightly.  The Grouse flushed from the side of the road and angled in front of my wheel.  Was about five feet in front of me and I closed the gap to two feet before it went left!  We were laughing about bagging a grouse w/ a mountain bike!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
A coopers hawk has been around piles of feathers in several locations .chased it away from the orioles nest but there was no activity at the nest the next day .a nest in the spruce tree had feathers strewn about.recent sightings Phoebe and house or purple finch
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Another nice eagle pic, this one posted by Belleayre on Facebook:

Bald Eagle
photo courtesy of Belleayre Ski Center
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Many changes at the feeder.gone are the orioles,redwing blackbirds, and thankfully the grackles.bluebirds,cardinals, yellowthroats still around. The catbirds are very abundant ,such great singers if they only had their own song not bits of all the others.it is almost comical the way they ramble
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
ATTN: ScottyJack:

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by freeheeln
Bluejays are dominating now.squirrels have figured out the feeder, there were so many hickory and walnuts last year they didn't bother. The green heron at the pond has gotten very comfortable with us often allowing us to get very close.not so much the sandpiper very skittish
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
The hummingbirds are bulking up for the flight south. I have gone through more mix in the last two weeks than I did all summer.

At our house, frog-watching is as much entertainment as bird-watching. We have two small artificial ponds just outside the living room. Either Blue Toes or I count the frogs daily and report. Currently we are at 15. The record is 25, last summer.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
A coopers hawk has been around piles of feathers in several locations .chased it away from the orioles nest but there was no activity at the nest the next day .a nest in the spruce tree had feathers strewn about.recent sightings Phoebe and house or purple finch
Ours is back too finding piles here and there...

12345 ... 12