The Indy Pass

69 messages Options
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: The Indy Pass

The skiers in WA are the winners with this pass..

2 maybe 3 NE areas worth visiting , the rest, feh at best..
"Peace and Love"
marznc marznc
Reply |

JasonWx wrote
The skiers in WA are the winners with this pass..

2 maybe 3 NE areas worth visiting , the rest, feh at best..
Somehow you don't seem to fit the target market for Indy: beginners or families who ski less than 10 days a season.

Indy is the first multi-regional pass to include any place south of NYC/PA.  Folks in the Mid-Atlantic have been wondering why for a while.  You might be surprised how many times someone from SkiSE has posted about a ski safari out west that didn't include any MPC/Ikon or Epic locations.  Snowshoe is on Ikon and VR just added PA locations.  But I think Indy can find a market in DC, Pittsburgh, and Richmond as well as in NC, SC, GA.

Magic is on Indy and the Freedom Pass, while at the same time limits the number of day tickets.  With Indy, no commitment besides spending $199.  Have to pick somewhere to pay for a season pass to get the Freedom days.  I think it's smart for Magic to offer both options.  Just as the independent destination resorts can be accessed by spending under $500 for the MCP or more like $1000 for an Ikon pass.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

marznc wrote
Somehow you don't seem to fit the target market for Indy: beginners or families who ski less than 10 days a season, Harv and maybe Brownski.
FIFY
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Greek says they’re on Freedom Pass also don’t they? I’m probably not their exact target but I’m probably gonna buy a couple anyway. Can’t beat the price. Two days each at Greek, Catamount, Magic an Berkshire East gets me to $25 a day. And I would love to try Suicide Six and Bolton Valley also. I guess I can burn a couple days in CT or PA. What else is within driving distance of metro NY?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

marznc marznc
Reply |

In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Greek says they’re on Freedom Pass also don’t they? I’m probably not their exact target but I’m probably gonna buy a couple anyway. Can’t beat the price. Two days each at Greek, Catamount, Magic an Berkshire East gets me to $25 a day. And I would love to try Suicide Six and Bolton Valley also. I guess I can burn a couple days in CT or PA. What else is within driving distance of metro NY?
Technically Blue Knob is the same driving time as Bolton from NYC.  But can't say it's worth the effort.  BK depends on natural snow but given where it's located, it's rare that the off-piste terrain is open.  It is a fun place to stay slopeside for a weekend, with the option of going out the door for night skiing after dinner.

There are quite a few videos from Shawnee on YouTube.  Just make sure you're looking at PA, not Maine.

Shawnee cruising 2017
https://youtu.be/wBlk6pvhcTA

Under lights 2015
https://youtu.be/CZsgzvD__5Q
marznc marznc
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
OpenSnow is working on getting all the new Indy Pass locations added.

https://opensnow.com/pass/indypass

Can get an interactive map for any Season Pass on OpenSnow.  The list of Season Passes that are easy to check is pretty impressive.  Not just Epic, Ikon, MCP.  Freedom, Powder Alliance, Indy, and more all included.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

That is cool.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by marznc
I looked at the Blue Knob map and I admit it looks like a cool place. Pretty far though, as you say. Maybe if it looks like they’re getting a storm...
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
x10003q x10003q
Reply |

In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
Brownski wrote
Technically Blue Knob is the same driving time as Bolton from NYC.  But can't say it's worth the effort.  BK depends on natural snow but given where it's located, it's rare that the off-piste terrain is open.  It is a fun place to stay slopeside for a weekend, with the option of going out the door for night skiing after dinner.
Come on now - Blue Knob is a little less than 5 hours from me in NNJ. While I agree it is a cool place, it is not worth driving there vs everything in VT from MRG south, WF, Gore and everything south of Gore in NY. Stowe and Burke are 5.5 and I am not even going to mention specific Mass or SNH ski areas. Blue Knob conditions are erratic at best and they need a ton of updating. There was a meet up at Blue Knob from another ski site, but I just could not justify the drive for marginal skiing. It is one of those places that I will always be curious about but will never visit.

For the Indy Pass - go to Berkshire East, Magic, Catamount, Mohawk, Suicide Six or Greek Peak. Skip Shawnee - Home of the Backwards Snowplow