77 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Indy Pass

Marcski
A new multimountain pass:

https://www.skimag.com/news/dropping-multi-resort-indy-pass

No Platty; but Magic, Greek and Berkshire East are on it with a bunch of others across the country.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Indy Pass

MC2 5678F589
Looks nice for a retired dude in the PNW.

Would be great for nepa, but he is probably doing a Mission Ridge season pass.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Marcski
Was intrigued that sales started a few days early for the Indy Pass.  Was supposed to be Sept. 1 but available on Aug. 27.  Also instituted a 4-payment plan for people who commit before mid-Nov.  Price is $199 and will go up $20 on Dec. 1.

I'm paying attention because there are several mid-Atlantic and SE locations, including my home mountain Massanutten.  Although I'm probably going to get in enough days at Mnut to justify a season pass.

UPDATE on 11/19/19:

Price goes up to $219 on 12/1.  Then another $20 increase to $239 on 1/1/2020.  The plan to is continue to sell the Indy Pass until 3/1/2020.  So in theory could be used as a spring season pass for a region that is looking good for skiing into early April.
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
Would be interesting to know why Laszlo at Plattekill decided it wouldn't be worth joining.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
More coming?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Harvey wrote
More coming?
The implication on the Indy FB Page is that there will be more places joining for 2019-20.

I bought Indy for SE/MidA skiing when I realized it would cover the two Saturdays I'll be at Massanutten since my pass there is Sun-Fri.  Also can get in a couple days at Cataloochee, which is near where my daughter is in college.  Cat opens early so I can check it out in Dec when I pick her up for winter break.  My order # was just over 100.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I heard 8. Six out west two in the east. Coming Tuesday.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by bumps
bumps wrote
Would be interesting to know why Laszlo at Plattekill decided it wouldn't be worth joining.
At first I thought perhaps because Plattekill was on the Freedom Pass, they couldn't do Indy too.  But then realized that Magic is on both.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
If you are thinking about an Indy Pass, do ol' Harv a favor and click this link or the ad on the home page to buy.  We are doing a promo with Indy and we'd love to get "credit" for the sale. No money for us, but a happy promo partner.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
bumps wrote
At first I thought perhaps because Plattekill was on the Freedom Pass, they couldn't do Indy too.  But then realized that Magic is on both.
Greek is reportedly going to be on both also, though Freedom Pass has still not updated their website to reflect that.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Harvey wrote
If you are thinking about an Indy Pass, do ol' Harv a favor and click this link or the ad on the home page to buy.  We are doing a promo with Indy and we'd love to get "credit" for the sale. No money for us, but a happy promo partner.
We're going to interview the guy who dreamed up the Indy Pass.

Any help with questions is appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Harvey wrote
Harvey wrote
We're going to interview the guy who dreamed up the Indy Pass.

Any help with questions is appreciated.
Cool!  Here's a question: Now that the Indy Pass has been created, are you reaching out to other ski areas or are you waiting for others to ask to join?

A variation of what I'm wondering is whether or not he has a list of potential places to add either for this season or in the future.  Obviously be nice for me if more ski areas in the southeast (NC, VA, WV) were included.
Reply | Threaded
|

2000yearoldskier
In reply to this post by Harvey
What is the split? If its only used 1 or 2 times or maxed  out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
2000yearoldskier wrote
What is the split? If its only used 1 or 2 times or maxed  out.

Certainly a logical question, but my guess is that he won't want to share it.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Another question: will there be anyone with Indy Pass info at any ski shows?  Meaning a flyer or poster of some sort.  For instance, the Boston Ski Expo in Nov. has included a booth by Magic the last few years.
Reply | Threaded
|

SayvilleSteve
Looks like they updated the Indy Pass site today. Now 44 resorts (it was 36) and Greek Peak is included.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Mohawk and Shawnee added in the east for 15 total.

This is the year I get to Greek.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by SayvilleSteve
SayvilleSteve wrote
Looks like they updated the Indy Pass site today. Now 44 resorts (it was 36) and Greek Peak is included.
Greek was added in June.  There are 2 new places in the southeast, a few more in the midwest (MI, MN), Mohawk in CT  and Terry Peak in SD.  A little funny to think of SD as being in the "midwest."

I know of someone who lives in WA who is planning an Indy Pass ski safari this winter that includes Apex and Castle.  A retired couple who live near Mission Ridge.  Now that VR owns Stevens Pass, not too surprising that the independents in WA were interested in joining Indy.

EDIT: fixed a couple errors in the list

CANADA
Apex, BC
Castle, ALB

PACIFIC NW
Eaglecrest, AK - added by July
49 Degrees North, WA
Hurricane Ridge, WA - added by July
Mission Ridge, WA
White Pass, WA
Hoodoo, OR
Mt. Shasta, CA

ROCKIES
Brundage Mountain, ID
Silver Mountain, ID
Red Lodge, MT
Lost Trail, MT
Beaver Mountain, UT

SOUTHWEST
Sunrise Park, AZ - added in Sep

MIDWEST
Terry Peak, SD - added 01Oct
Giants Ridge, MN
Powder Ridge, MN - added 01Oct
Spirit Mountain, MN - added by July
Little Switzerland, WI
Nordic Mountain, WI
Trollhaugen, WI
Tyrol Basin, WI
Big Powderhorn, MI
Cabaerfae Peaks, MI - added in Sep
Cannonsburg, MI - added 01Oct
Pine Mountain, MI
Schuss Mountain at Shanty Creek, MI - added 01Oct
Swiss Valley, MI - added 01Oct

NORTHEAST
Greek Peak, NY - added early June
Bolton Valley, VT
Magic Mountain, VT - added early June
Suicide Six, VT - added by July
Pats Peak, NH - added early June
Catamount, MA
Berkshire East, MA
Mohawk, CT - added 01Oct

SOUTHEAST/MID-ATLANTIC
Blue Knob, PA - added early June
Shawnee, PA - added 01Oct
Canaan Valley, WV - added by July
Massanutten, VA
Bryce, VA
Cataloochee, NC
Ober Gatlinburg, TN - added 01Oct
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
The snowsports writer at Forbes has added the Indy Pass in with Epic and Ikon as a multi-region multi-location pass to consider because of the $199 price point.  He says it was "new" as of a few days ago.  But bottom line is that these locations aren't what readers of Forbes are used to reading about.

The big difference between Indy and Powder Alliance or Freedom Pass is that no commitment to a season pass is required.  It's the equivalent of what the MCP used to be for advanced/expert skiers before VR and Alterra covered so many locations that experts talk about all the time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2019/10/01/ski-travel-revolutionanother-new-discount-season-pass-option-for-this-winter/#36836ab4222a
" . . .
The Indy Pass certainly is not an alternative to Epic or Ikon for the destination vacation skier or luxury traveler planning five to seven day trips to a single full-service resort, but it’s a great option for skiing closer to home, or for those traveling in the winter to the many cities it serves with nearby resorts. It is especially appealing to those learning the sport, a big focus of its marketing.

“Largely ignored by the mega resorts, up and coming skiers now have a pass with almost no barrier to entry,” explained Geoff Hatheway, President of Vermont’s Magic Mountain. “The Indy Pass is priced right for anyone to try; it has a wonderful variety of interesting ski areas to explore; and showcases the community aspect of skiing.”

At this price point it’s hard to go wrong, and if you use it just three or four times you will get your money’s worth. Just as I know a handful of skiers who take the plunge and invest in both of the higher priced options, buying Epic and Ikon passes, I think the Indy Pass will be something you might do in addition to another alternative, if any of these mountains are near you or where your travels take you.

Most of the resorts offer unrestricted access, while a few have some holiday blackout dates. After you use your two days at any member mountain, you can buy additional days at discounted rates. The price of the Indy Pass will increase from $199 to $219 on December first."
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
The FAQ for Indy was updated quite a bit since the last time I read through it.  Two items caught my eye today.

I’ve already purchased a season pass at an Indy Pass resort, do I get the two free days at the other resorts?
Sorry, the Indy Pass is separate from a season pass at participating resorts. Some Indy Pass resorts will offer a discounted Indy Pass add on for their season pass holders for $159, so check with your home resort to see if they are offering this option.

Why isn’t there a kids Indy Pass and why can’t I buy one for my kid under 12 years old?
We do consider young families very important, so Indy Pass resorts offer a minimum of 25% off for kids 12 and under. We encourage parents with young kids to check kids pricing at the resorts where they plan to ski, as it may be cheaper to purchase kids tickets with the 25% off discount than purchasing an Indy Pass for them. If it’s still less expensive to purchase a pass for a child under age 13 then you may do so. No ID is required for children to redeem lift tickets but they must be present at the ticket window in order to redeem.