classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
77 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Indy Pass

Jamesdeluxe
marznc wrote
Not sure exactly where, but apparently can get an Indy Pass for $198 at Costco somewhere in the northeast.
Last night at my local Costco -- dozens still available:

I love the idea of Indy Pass. A shame that I won't be able to take advantage of it; I don't have an all-winter hall pass like Harv where I can hit favorites like Magic and the region where it would be a great fit for me, Colorado, they currently have no participating ski areas.

I understand that this season is a test drive for it; I hope that they do well enough and can work out the kinks to be able to entice many more independent hills like Plattekill to join. For example, it would be great if they could figure out a way to work with the Colorado Gems program. Two days each at Loveland, A-Basin, Cooper, Monarch, and Echo (for night skiing) alone would make it worth the money for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Part of the problem could be this was launched after many (perhaps most?) skiers already purchased passes, vouchers, multi-packs, and other discount cards/programs for the season. I am not sure when the Freedom Pass first launched but this thread is only a few months old. I purchased my season pass for this season in May when rates were at their lowest. I am pretty sure the Freedom Pass was not on my radar at that point.

I certainly would consider adding the Indy Pass to my seasonal strategy for next season, especially if they can get just a few more areas added that are relevant for me. Magic, Bolton, and Black (NH) are the only three current areas that I might visit. But I am unlikely to visit any of them more than once in a single season. So the pass doesn't quite make sense for me financially with the current lineup... and definitely isn't a season pass replacement.

The Freedom Pass has a better base of areas. But that requires a season pass commitment to enjoy the other mountain benefits, so the upfront cost is significantly more (though you can get three days instead of just two at partner mountains).

There is a lot of crossover for mountains on both the Freedom and the Indy. But the Indy definitely needs more partners. Notable Freedom Pass areas not on the Indy Pass include Plattekill, Dartmouth, and Whaleback. Not on either pass that are good candidates include Black (ME), Middlebury, and Abram. Saddleback could be an option when they reopen as well. While it wouldn't make a difference to me, Shawnee (ME) and Tenney are also candidates.

Adding some of those to the Indy roster could really tip the scales. I don't think adding small community mom and pops is helpful, so I omitted those candidates. Not familiar enough with smaller areas outside of N.E. to suggest candidates from other regions.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
riverc0il wrote
Part of the problem could be this was launched after many (perhaps most?) skiers already purchased passes, vouchers, multi-packs, and other discount cards/programs for the season. I am not sure when the Freedom Pass first launched but this thread is only a few months old. I purchased my season pass for this season in May when rates were at their lowest. I am pretty sure the Freedom Pass was not on my radar at that point. . . .
Perhaps you were too busy skiing in the spring to notice.  I was aware of the Indy Pass since March when it was making news.  Unofficial Networks had an article mid-March.  The first 11 locations were all along the west coast, mostly OR, WA, ID.  I didn't start paying close attention until the VA and NC resorts joined in.  By May there were 25 locations including the southeast and midwest.

In mid-May 2019, this was the list of multi-regional "passes" besides Epic, Ikon, MCP that I posted on another forum.  Obviously 2019-20 is the last season for the Peak Pass.  

• Freedom Pass - started 2014 in northeast
• Powder Alliance - started 2014 on west coast
• Power Pass (AZ, NM, SW CO, UT) - started 2014 with NM
• Peak Pass (northeast, PA, midwest) - started 2014 in northeast
• Indy Pass - 2019-20 is first season
• Boyne Gold (MI, MT, WA, NH, ME) - 2019-20 is first season
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
The Freedom Pass has a better base of areas. But that requires a season pass commitment to enjoy the other mountain benefits, so the upfront cost is significantly more (though you can get three days instead of just two at partner mountains).
The Freedom Pass and the Powder Alliance are reciprocal agreements that require someone to spend at least $350 for a season pass, usually $400-700.  Seem a lot more interesting to someone capable of enjoying skiing powder off-piste and willing to travel to chase a powder storm.

In comparison, making good use of the Indy Pass is more like dealing with the MCP.  The entry cost is much lower than for other multi-resort passes.  A few days at two locations is enough to break even.  I started with the MCP when I was only taking two 1-week trips out west, one mid-season and a late season to Alta Lodge.  I liked the flexibility even if the cost wasn't that different than advanced purchases from Liftopia.

Now that the count is up to 46, the Indy Pass feels like a collection of regional multi-resort passes.  Someone in the PacNW is very unlikely to use Indy in the midwest or southeast.  Perhaps someone in the east might fly west, but the Indy locations aren't that easy to reach compared to resorts near Denver or SLC.  Folks in the midwest might cross statelines to go exploring a weekend or two.

The marketing power of Indy is far more than any of the individual ski areas would normally pay for.  Doug Fish knows what he's doing.  After all, that's what his company has done successfully for quite a while.  Cataloochee has been mentioned in more than one national ski news outlet.  It's on the Costco display far away from the southeast.  Most people outside the southeast don't even realize there has been skiing in NC and VA for decades.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
I understand that this season is a test drive for it; I hope that they do well enough and can work out the kinks to be able to entice many more independent hills like Plattekill to join.
Lazlo explained why he declined to join Indy this season in the interview with Storm Skiing.  Go to Minute 53 to hear what he says.  Plattekill season passholders get Freedom Pass perks, which is discussed at Minute 51.

https://skiing.substack.com/p/podcast-2-danielle-and-laszlo-vajtay

I used the Indy Pass at Bryce in Nov.  Happened to be in the area when they had an early opening day.  Pretty easy.  Show the Indy info and get a day ticket.  What surprised me was getting an email the next day confirming the use.  All the days are tracked in my Indy account.  Feels very professional.

Bryce is an hour from Massanutten.  But it hasn't been worth the drive when I'd have to buy a lift ticket and I had an Mnut season pass.  However, I had a good time and a good meal.  Was a hoot to see mountain bikes loading on the other lift that day.  Bryce is a great place for kids to learn.  With Indy, maybe more families from DC will hear about it and give it a try.  The lifelines are a lot shorter than at Whitetail or Liberty, which are about the same drive time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
INDY PASS ADDS MT. ABRAM IN MAINE

PORTLAND, OREGON -- It was announced today that Mt. Abram in Greenwood, Maine will join the Indy Pass for the 2019-20 season. The resort is the first from the Pine Tree State to join the program and will offer two unrestricted free days of access making for a total of 47 participating ski areas for just $219. The price will increase to $239 on January 1st.

"We are very excited to join a great group of ski areas on the Indy Pass, said GM Bob Harkins. By lowering cost barriers we are helping people get back to the core traditions of the sport and getting them on the snow more often."

Like many Indy Pass resorts, Mt. Abram is family owned and features uncrowded slopes that offer some of the best glade and tree skiing in New England along with best-in-class learning terrain. It has 1,150 feet of vertical drop, with four lifts serving 36 trails.

"The New England skiing and riding community has really embraced the Indy Pass and we're stoked to be a part of it, said Kevin Rosenberg, Mt. Abram marketing director. We think pass holders will enjoy our little piece of winter magic in the mountains of Maine."

Celebrating 60 years of continuous operation in 2020, Mt. Abram continues to invest in infrastructure improvements including a new variable-drive on their Westside chairlift allowing for faster and easier access to beginner and learning terrain.

The Indy Pass now offers two days at 47 ski areas in North America for a total of 94 days of free skiing for just $219. The price will increase to $239 on January 1, 2020.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
There is a skier who is using the Indy Pass on a ski safari starting from Boston and ending in Oregon.  So far, there are trip reports from Greek and Mohawk.

https://www.indyskipass.com/from-boston-to-oregon-natalie-akers-indy-pass-road-trip-greek-peak-ny/

https://www.indyskipass.com/roadtrip-stop-mohawk-mountain-ski-a-connecticut-legend/
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This just in, BIG NEWS from Indy Pass HQ:

"Brownski is our #1 Indy Pass user nationwide having visited more resorts than any other pass holder this season."

Also:

"Danger Boy is hilarious. Have you sent that to Greek Peak marketing yet?"

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This surprised me- glad I’m finally #1 at something. I’m gonna call my mom. I don’t feel like I’ve gotten half as many days as I wanted so far. Glad he liked the TRs though
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
7 New resorts on the Indy pass for 20-21. Only new one in the east so far is Cannon. I'd love to see them add Plattekill and Elk. I think Plattekill is a possibility and Elk an unlikely.
I'll likely go this route this year since they added a credit policy if things go south next winter.    
    Zero days = 80% credit
    One day = 60% credit
    Two days = 40% credit
    Three days = 20% credit
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
That seems like a reasonable refund policy.

Don't hold your breathe on P.  Not impossible, but I would say longshot.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
What I noticed was all the new pricing options.  Most importantly for families, there are kid prices.  For the regular Indy Pass, $199 for adults and $99 for kids 12 and under.  Also if someone gets a season pass from one of the locations first, then Indy would only be $129.

The location on my wish list for Indy is Timberline in WV.  The new owners are busily constructing two new lifts this summer.  Decided to go ahead in spite of the pandemic.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
No 20-21 additions from Colorado?
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Jamesdeluxe wrote
No 20-21 additions from Colorado?
The goal was to get up to 75 locations for 2020-21.  There were pre-seasons when the MCP announced additions over several months.  Generated free press with every announcement.

What ski areas do you want on Indy in Colorado?  A-Basin is obviously not a candidate.  Loveland?  Wolf Creek?

The addition that would make me happy out west would be Bridger.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
The May 31 podcast of the Storm Skiing Journal is a long interview with Doug Fish, creator of the Indy Pass.  He talks about the amount of revenue that each ski area/resort got last season and how it will tweaked for 2020-21.  Another topic is where Indy is hoping to expand in the next year or two.  Mentions why expanding in Colorado is unlikely.

May 31, The Storm Skiing Journal and Podcast
Podcast #16: Indy Pass Founder and President Doug Fish
https://skiing.substack.com/p/podcast-16-indy-pass-founder-and
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc wrote
What ski areas do you want on Indy in Colorado?  A-Basin is obviously not a candidate. Loveland?  Wolf Creek?
Cooper, Sunlight, Powderhorn, Monarch
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Jamesdeluxe wrote
marznc wrote
What ski areas do you want on Indy in Colorado?  A-Basin is obviously not a candidate. Loveland?  Wolf Creek?
Cooper, Sunlight, Powderhorn, Monarch
From what Doug Fish said in the interview, Powderhorn and Sunlight are probably the only ones that have potential in the near future.  What's confusing the issue is all the existing reciprocal agreements in Colorado.  Fish explained why he thinks those may not be the best for small ski areas in the long run.