The Last Dance

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Last Dance

campgottagopee
I'm really looking forward to this documentary on ESPN. Everyone on that team knew their job and executed perfectly game after game. Rodman was sick nasty. Mostly looking forward to his comments. The guy was all biz on the floor and complete wild man off it.
Should be interesting.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Last Dance

warp daddy
The MJ flick ? I imagine You will see a side of him that will probably shake his image a bit . None the less the guy was a game changer .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I heard about this on the radio. Shaq was asked if the Lakers in their prime could beat the Bulls in their prime.

He said Luke Longley & Bill Cartwright wouldn't have been able to guard him, but he said the difference might come down to which team had Phil Jackson.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yeah, that's the one. It's a 10 part series. 1& 2 air Sunday on ESPN.

MC --- I think it's hard to compare eras in any sport. MJ was certainly a Phil Jackson fan and certainly sees him as a great coach. To say the least I think he was. He did an incredible job managing all those massive personalities.

Compare rings ---- that seems to always end the conversation of who's the greatest. I'm definitely not Tom Brady fan at all. Look at the rings. Ugh.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
Compare rings ---- that seems to always end the conversation of who's the greatest. I'm definitely not Tom Brady fan at all. Look at the rings. Ugh.
I'm no Tom Brady fan, but ya gotta respect that guy's ability to win. If he wins the Super Bowl with Tampa Bay at age 40-whatever, , I will spend the rest of my life telling people that he was the greatest qb of all time (he's got some nice weapons. I hope there's a football season).
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I'm no Tom Brady fan, but ya gotta respect that guy's ability to win. If he wins the Super Bowl with Tampa Bay at age 40-whatever, , I will spend the rest of my life telling people that he was the greatest qb of all time (he's got some nice weapons. I hope there's a football season).
I agree. To top it off the guy was a zero. A 7th round draft pick. Like Phil Jackson I wonder how much of it is Bill Belichick. It will be an interesting season. Hopefully.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I had forgotten just how dirty the Pistons of the 80's and 90's were. Lambere would be kicked out of today's league.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I agree. To top it off the guy was a zero. A 7th round draft pick. Like Phil Jackson I wonder how much of it is Bill Belichick. It will be an interesting season. Hopefully.
Your Brady zero assessment is off the mark and he was a 6th round pick - the biggest steal ever in the NFL draft.
Drafted by the Expos in the 18th round out of high school and offered 2-3 round money to try and get him away from football.
Also recruited by Cal-Berk, Ill, UCLA, USC to play QB.
20-5 record at Michigan in his jr and Sr years including have to share time and beat out Drew Henson, especially as a Sr.

I think the Drew Henson competition effed up the assessment of both of them plus Henson was playing pro baseball at the time. Brady is/was a great athlete. Brady was not a juco/1-AA/D2 QB, he was recruited by top D1 schools and played for a top Michigan team and won 2 Bowl games as a starter. Just a reminder - Tony Romo, out of 1-AA Eastern Ill, was not drafted.

Without question he is the greatest QB in NFL history and he owes Mo Lewis big time for almost killing Drew Bledsoe in 2001. https://youtu.be/St9u238ipRE

He did look old and creaky last season. TB has some talented wide outs and Gronkowski is a nice move. It is a great story  - if the play football this fall.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
LMAO

I've been wrong before.

Brady is still a zero in my book. Friggin cheater 😏
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
My 13yo son and I have been watching The Last Dance together. He follows sports, but isn't a basketball player. It's been fun watching it with him as he learns just how great and dynamic some of the players from that era were (Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Isaiah, Ewing, etc.) And how the Cavs were good way before LeBron played there. And seeing folks still involved today (like Kerr, Ainge, and Phil Jackson) weigh in. Great for me to relive so many of those classic moments and story lines from back when I used to follow the NBA pretty closely.

During episode 3 he told me Isaiah Thomas is still playing in the NBA....I was like, "not that one, a different one"

I figure at some point they'll talk about Kukoc joining the team and what a big deal that was at the time?

I just feel they played the entirety of the game with so much more passion back then--and the "team concept" of play led to such spectacular fast breaks and passing. All of this iso and step back 3's in today's game puts me to sleep...
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
SIAWOL wrote
I just feel they played the entirety of the game with so much more passion back then--and the "team concept" of play led to such spectacular fast breaks and passing. All of this iso and step back 3's in today's game puts me to sleep...
Yes! They played D then, tough D. Now it's all about the three ball and the BS flops.

I like hearing from MJ himself regarding finally making it into the conversation with Magic and Bird about winning championships.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Bad boys of the NBA? Angry 90's Knicks fan here.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Great series.  This is getting huge ratings with people starved for sports.  It was the heyday of the NBA.  Today I find the Nba hard to watch.  There is so little defense played

It will be interesting to see how the comparisons to the Patriots play out.  The grumpy shrimp boat captain is probably going to find it tough without Brady.  Phil Jackson on the other hand proved his greatness by winning with the Lakers.  Phil won 13 NBA championships 2 as a player with Knicks plus as a coach 6 with Bulls and 5 with Lakers.  That has got to make him the biggest winner in any team sport
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Billy "the kid" Russell won 11 NBA championships, 2 NCAA championships and an Olympic gold, = 14. Math implies Russell won upped him by 1.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Um, No
Amateur championships don’t count.  

If they did Jordan would be at 10 btw

Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
Great series.  This is getting huge ratings with people starved for sports.  It was the heyday of the NBA.  Today I find the Nba hard to watch.  There is so little defense played

It will be interesting to see how the comparisons to the Patriots play out.  The grumpy shrimp boat captain is probably going to find it tough without Brady.  Phil Jackson on the other hand proved his greatness by winning with the Lakers.  Phil won 13 NBA championships 2 as a player with Knicks plus as a coach 6 with Bulls and 5 with Lakers.  That has got to make him the biggest winner in any team sport
Phil gets a -5 for mailing in his recent Knick "effort" from Montana, thus cancelling out the 5 with the Lakers.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm really liking this series. I had forgotten just how awesome the dream team truly was.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I should think that this documentary will end all conversation regarding who the GOAT is.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
It was a great series and a clear reminder that MJ was the greatest athlete in any sport that has ever lived

Looking forward to the Lance documentary the next two weeks