The New Greek Peak

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
61 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The New Greek Peak

gorgonzola
soon.... looking for a day off and some snow in the woods and under #5!  when they sposed to start spinning the new lift?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Sometime this week. My understanding is the lift is ready to go but needs to get certified, whatever that means, once certified she's OPEN!!!

I like under 5 too. Just not sure which way I like skiing it better. I like tight skiers left where it's steepest, and also enjoy skiers right to skiers left actually following the fall line. Like you said in another thread that little headwall is kinda funky - fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Wow - I was just looking at the GP trail report and noticed we now have several double blacks diamond runs!!

I guess I'm a better skier than I thought.

I know it's marketing, but they really should be ashamed of themselves calling - well, anything there a double black. Maybe - maybe Labyrinth, but only because it's a bit steeper and tighter than Aesop's. And Alsos glade? Seriously? It's a blue glade at best. Even for GP.  How long have they been labelling these double blacks?  Maybe I just haven't looked at the map in a long time. I get that the rating is relative to other runs at the same ski area - but wow.

That last pitch under ch 5 was really thin cover yesterday - skiable, if you don't care about your skis much.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I agree, Billy ---- seems silly to me too, but what the hell do I know.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Good to see Greek getting some love on here and an active posting up by it's fans. I thought that Greek commercial posted here a few days ago was also cool, a good job done by it's  makers and a nice way to promote the mtn.

All mtns need the visitation numbers to survive/thrive.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I still get a chuckle seeing the black diamond sign on the Pollux, as I recall when it used to be a green beginner trail before the terrain park was created.  Only Al can turn a beginner trail into a black diamond.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Nice video.

Too bad winter is coming to an end this weekend.

Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Wow - I was just looking at the GP trail report and noticed we now have several double blacks diamond runs!!

I guess I'm a better skier than I thought.

I know it's marketing, but they really should be ashamed of themselves calling - well, anything there a double black. Maybe - maybe Labyrinth, but only because it's a bit steeper and tighter than Aesop's. And Alsos glade? Seriously? It's a blue glade at best. Even for GP.  How long have they been labelling these double blacks?  Maybe I just haven't looked at the map in a long time. I get that the rating is relative to other runs at the same ski area - but wow.

That last pitch under ch 5 was really thin cover yesterday - skiable, if you don't care about your skis much.
I think the new trail ratings are really to keep those out of there who don't have the skills. While Alsop's is clearly intermediate pitch, if you can't ski natural snow, and you can't turn to avoid trees, you shouldn't be in there. A blue rating would cause all kinds of people to go in there who shouldn't be. I'm sure it is more for liability than marketing.

I think all trail ratings are relative to the resort they are in and cannot be compared to other resorts. I think Olympian, Zeus, Hercules and Arethusa should all have double black diamond rating. I'm surprised they didn't give Arethusa a double black.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm with ya PDQ, I too think it's for liabilty and not marketing. They are smarter than that.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
soon.... looking for a day off and some snow in the woods and under #5!  when they sposed to start spinning the new lift?

New chair spins tomorrow AM at 8:30, we'll be on it baby
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Good news on the new chair.  They had best park a couple of snow guns at the unloading area tonight, as it was down to dirt today.  I drove by Song on the way to do some last minute X-mas shopping today, and it wasn't looking great either, but definitely appeared to have a slightly deeper base.  Fortunately it looks like cold temps are here to stay for a while.

To all of you who celebrate X-Mas, have a very merry.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Looks like Camp and Pro were 1st in line to ride the new quad on 12/24.

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Big D wrote

Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
  Camo John is slipping. Did you guys happen to time the ride? It was spinning quite a bit faster than chair 1 when I was there last Tuesday. Good news, now if they could just get football, not fuutball, on the TV's in Trax on Sundays, and train the bartenders so they know what the hell they're serving. Someone posted on Facebook that when they inquired about the draft selections, the reply they got was, "I don't drink beer".
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
Nope I wasn't there...I went on Sunday and it was boilerplate so I passed on today.
Camp really wanted to ride the first chair!
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Yep... Camo-John is slipping... he appears to be about number 13 in line... Ha Ha

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Big D
Big D wrote

I'm here to post in this very important thread.

For those of us who haven't had the pleasure, who is who?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Harvey wrote
Big D wrote

I'm here to post in this very important thread.

For those of us who haven't had the pleasure, who is who?
WHOOPS! Camp is the guy on the far right. But Pro wasn't there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
I see Harry made it too, if I didn't have to work, I probably would have been there too.