The New Greek Peak

Powderqueen
This post was updated on .
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The New Greek Peak

billyymc
The video is great, and the place is really changing.

One thing unfortunately hasn't changed - and that's their BS trails report.

I went up this morning because both on the phone and on the website they were reporting 8 inches of new snow in the past 24 hours, AND Fields/Stoic was opening (in addition to Iliad which has been open since the start this year). Also said Epicurius to get to Castor was open.  I figured going into work a few hours late would be a good choice today.

Well - the snow report was right - up top they might have gotten more than 8".

But the only thing open (besides learning area) was Iliad. And even on that they had closed signs up on skier's left (the ungroomed side) all the way down. Everyone skied it anyway - it was actually really really good. They eventually opened Stoic (groomed and pretty solid).

So - if anyone from GP reads this - if you say X number of trails are open, then freakin open them.

Besides that - the cover is looking good - another few nights of a few inches at at time and the whole mountain will be skiable. If they open it.

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Oh - one more thing, in case anyone from GP is reading.

Please, for the love of god, change your grooming "policy".

If there is new natural snow whethere it's 2" or 20" (!) - please don't groom it. Or at least only groom the green runs - and maybe one side of the blues -- leave the blacks natural.

That is all.

Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
 another few nights of a few inches at at time and the whole mountain will be skiable.
I really gotta see this place some day.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
lol..I agree that is very frustrating! I went up late this morning as well...I also looked online before I went and it said 2 lifts and 8 trails..If you looked at the trail legend however, it indicated only 5 trails. they did finally open Epicurus Way to Castor which got their total to 7 trails and the groomer was on Elysian Fields when I left about 1 pm but didn't look close to being ready to open. Bottom line is when I check the trail report I want to know what will be open when I get there...not what may be open at some point... At least we are way ahead of last year and are sliding on snow!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Geezus, you guys are bitching about what trails are open--- blah, blah, blah

I've got news fer ya --- no trails are open here in my office

But you're correct, iffin you're gonna put it out there on the intrawebz/ski phone that certain terrain is open it damn well better be open.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
billyymc wrote
 another few nights of a few inches at at time and the whole mountain will be skiable.
I really gotta see this place some day.
You'd be bored by 11AM , that's the bad news. The good news is the bar opens at 11
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Coincidence? I think not!
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
billyymc wrote
Oh - one more thing, in case anyone from GP is reading.

Please, for the love of god, change your grooming "policy".

If there is new natural snow whethere it's 2" or 20" (!) - please don't groom it. Or at least only groom the green runs - and maybe one side of the blues -- leave the blacks natural.

That is all.
I second that!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Trax to open tomorrow ----- WOOT

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by pro2860
pro2860 wrote
 truth

Looking forward to checking it out in the next few weeks!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Just got back from GP (grabbed my pass and boards from the shop), saw #14, Racer and Pro getting ready to hit the hill. Parking lot was half full, not bad for a Friday, snow guns blasting and POW falling from sky. Should be a great weekend of skiing here in CNY.

Think I'll check out Trax tonight after work
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by Noah John
You will like the PBR pounders at the bar!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
3 BUCKS!!! can't beat that
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
New bar rocks, it actually looks like you'd expect a ski resort to have. Pizza is good too  , the kid they had making them last night has been making pie for a looooooooong time so he knows what he's doing.
Reply | Threaded
|

timbly
So next up, can somebody in the know talk to 'em about grooming? I don't know how they managed to turn 6" of fresh into marbles and dirt today, but they did... the ungroomed was best, they should've left the rest alone.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
timbly wrote
So next up, can somebody in the know talk to 'em about grooming? I don't know how they managed to turn 6" of fresh into marbles and dirt today, but they did... the ungroomed was best, they should've left the rest alone.
The head groomer is a buddy of mine so I'll be sure and tell him how impressed you are  ---- just kidding

I had a couple beers w/ him the other night, he shared that there is a BIG learning curve w/ this new machine. All kinds of new gadgets on this bad boy. He's been running machinery since jesus was a baby, so if he's still learning on it you can bet your ass the others are too. It will get better and better every time out. As for dirt, well, we still don't have a base. All the snow that has fallen has been light fluffy POW, until we get some sorta base going that's what we'll see in non snowmaking parts of the hill.

I'm hitting the hill tomorrow ---- can't friggin wait
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
did they ever open chair 5 yesterday? and if so, when did the trail open to connect to the main area? We rode chair 4 until Labrynth was dangerous, hoping to go over to 5. Didn't happen before I left.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Yep - they opened chair 5 - we went over there around 1:30 I guess - seemed like the coverage there was thinner than the frontside. The glade was closed, but wouldn't have wanted to be in there anyway based on the coverage there. Skier right was pretty good. Frontside was much better.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
pro2860 wrote
 truth

Looking forward to checking it out in the next few weeks!

YO, G ---- when you gonna B around??? be sure and hit us up when your in town