classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
234 messages Options
12345678 ... 12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Whiskey/Bourbon/Rye/Scotch Thread

JTG4eva!
Brownski.....what think you of Weller 12 year going for a buck ninety nine?  Closest the average tRumpeter can come to drinking Pappy.

I just picked up a bottle of Weller Special Reserve and a bottle of Weller Antique 107 for about $30 each.  A premium on MSRP, but they are pretty hard to find these days.  I just saw a bottle of Special Reserve in NYC for $99!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I think that's a lot of money for whiskey that, if tasted blind by a non expert, could be mistaken for Makers Mark. Welled is good but it's just another wheated bourbon at the end of the day. That price is based on scarcity and I am not convinced it's really all that scarce.
By way of disclosure I used to sell Weller and Pappy and no longer do but I would have said the same thing then
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
While I’d like a wee dram or two of Pappy some day just to say I’ve tried it.....I’ll never pay what it takes to get even that, or a bottle of Weller 12 year.  Prices for Pappy, and by association Weller now, are driven by scarcity.  Maybe it isn’t from your perspective, but I haven’t been seeing a lot of either in the liquor stores near me.  Some places now keep the Weller in the locked display.  Oh, the hysteria!  I know I over paid for the Special Reserve and Antique 107 as MSRP is only about $20, but I’m always happy getting a deal and finding those for $30 when they are pushing $100 elsewhere made me happy.  Of course Larceny is probably better than both and cheaper!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
$30 is a good price for them. I just meant the stuff over $100. As for the scarcity, I meant that the distillery may be creating it artificially by throttling the shipments to the wholesalers in order to create lots of hype around the brands.
Regarding the Van Winkle bourbons, I've tasted the 15 year old and I thought it tasted exactly like Makers 46. And I agree that Larceny is definately the best bargain in wheated bourbons. Heaven Hill products (larceny, Evan Williams, Elijah Craig) always give you the most bang for your. buck.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I had some Wild Turkey Rye last night ---- must say it was damn good
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
campgottagopee wrote
I had some Wild Turkey Rye last night ---- must say it was damn good
Are you a rye guy generally?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
No. A buddy of mine was having some and decided to give it a try. I wouldn't buy it for home but wont turn it down when offered to me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I'm not a huge rye guy either. Some of them are just too much spicy/cereal for me. I like the Wild Turkey though - and Knob Creek Rye is pretty good too. Legally, they only have to be 51% rye to be labeled that way. I tend to like the ones closer to the low end better.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
2 great ryes.....Whistlepig (100% rye) and Crown Royal Northern Harvest (90% rye).  These both tend toward floral notes (in a good way) and aren’t too spicy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JTG4eva! wrote
2 great ryes.....Whistlepig (100% rye) and Crown Royal Northern Harvest (90% rye).  These both tend toward floral notes (in a good way) and aren’t too spicy.
I've tried Whistle pig, not the. Crown Royal.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I guess I can understand paying millions for a rare art work.  For your money you get something to look at as long as you live.

This....???  What do a you do with this???  Bottles of 60 year Macallan just sold at auction for $1.01m and $1.1m.  Do you drink it at $60,000 a glass????

Strange investment, probably risky, too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I figured you guys might like this. Maybe you already have one.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
I guess I can understand paying millions for a rare art work.  For your money you get something to look at as long as you live.

This....???  What do a you do with this???  Bottles of 60 year Macallan just sold at auction for $1.01m and $1.1m.  Do you drink it at $60,000 a glass????

Strange investment, probably risky, too.
I guess if I had a hundred million burning a hole in my pocket and I was feeling competitive towards other millionaires in my social circle, I might start blowing my money on that kind of stuff. Regarding scotch that old, I would never crack the seal. I imagine 60 yr old scotch would just taste like dull wood. Every time I taste through a scotch prodicer’s line (12 yr, 15, 18, 21, 25 for instance) I find myself liking the 15-17 yr better then the REALLY expensive ones.  More then one master distiller/blender/whisky ambassador has expressed the same opinion in my presence so I don’t think it’s just that I have poor tastes either.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!

It’s good to be back with my Cape collection!  Willet Pot Still Reserve.  Not only is the bottle way cool, but it’s a tasty bourbon, likes to be drank neat.  Not too expensive either.

The other bottle I have up here is a Kentucky Bourbon finished in Napa Valley Wine Barrels from Amador.  Another affordable and tasty find.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Hey JTG. If you get a chance post a pic of that other bourbon. I'm always curious how the producers word the label when they get into the exotic wood finishing. Until a few years ago, even labeling that stuff as bourbon was verboten. Nowadays they've loosened up the approvals quite a bit
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Had me 4 fingers of Crown with 3 ice cubs last night ---- man did that hit the spot. I truly think that stuff is my fav
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!

This is......pretty good!  Charcoal filtered (a la Jack), with a slightly spicy nuance.  The Whiskey is smooth and it’s easy drinking with a slight spice, and none of sweetness that comes from all the Fireball type stuff.

A good purchase for 30 odd bucks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I would try that stuff if I Dream of Jeannie came out of the bottle when I opened it.

Otherwise this whole thread is full of pretenders, there is only one.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Have you tried wild turkey yet harv?
12345678 ... 12