234 messages Options
12345 ... 12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Whiskey/Bourbon/Rye/Scotch Thread

JTG4eva!
Coach Z wrote
I think Knob is around 100 proof which is just too harsh for me.
Bah!  Booker's, which is from the same Beam small batch line as Knob, is 128.....and it's gooood.  A couple ice cubes mellow the bite, and the flavor is great.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Bourbon, I love it. Jim Beam is my choice for well or just above well but I prefer Makers or Crown. But....after the first one who cares!?! It was popular in Jackson when I lived there to drink it in pint glasses on the rocks. I don't drink much of it now as my body doesn't agree with pints of whiskey but a little cocktail every now and then to get things started off right is appropriate sometimes. What about music? What's your go to whiskey drinking music? I gotta go with country.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Regular Makers is ok, but 46 is much better.  I picked up a bottle of Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye last year, and it was very, very good.  It was voted in one (of many) whiskey competition as 2016 Whiskey of the Year.  Try it if you get the chance.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I'm thinking of picking up a decent non-peated single malt, a Tamdhu Speyside or Bruichladdich Islay, before I give up on scotch. Yes, Islay may be home to the peated beasts, but Bruichladdich uses a non-peated barley for their Islay single malts.  Of course getting a non-peated scotch that is aged in American oak casks previously used to age bourbon is likely to get me something that tastes more like........bourbon, so why not just stick with that!?  The Bruichladdich isn't that expensive though, so it's worth a taste.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Hey JT
If you like the high proof stuff like Bookers, maybe try Aberlour A'Bundah. It's a Highland cask strength scotch so it's pretty burly without being peaty. Might be just your thing
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Thanks for the recommendation!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Petey
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This post was updated on .
Took a sample of Suntory Toki around to some of my customers today. It's worth trying. Taste -wise it's sort of the Jameson of Japanese whiskies but more delicate, with just  the faintest whiff of smoke
Reply | Threaded
|

DrSkimeister
Bourbon-Blanton's #1....Woodford Select not too far below it on my preference scale though

Whiskey-Jamison's

Neat the only way for any of 'em.

It's funny how fallin' feels like flyin', even for a little while
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
There are some other good Irish out there, but  on Jamison.  You ever have the Caskmates Edition aged in Stout barrels?  Good stuff!

Neat is never wrong, but neither is a cube IMHO, especially if imbibing the higher octane barrel proof bourbons and ryes.....
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JTG4eva! wrote
There are some other good Irish out there, but  on Jamison.  You ever have the Caskmates Edition aged in Stout barrels?  Good stuff!Neat is never wrong, but neither is a cube IMHO, especially if imbibing the higher octane barrel proof bourbons and ryes.....
Yup. I like the caskmates. There's nothing wrong with adding water or ice, in my opinion, especially when it's over 100 proof. I've never met a master distiller/ blender/ whiskey ambassador who said anything other then "the right way to drink this whiskey is the way you like to drink it". One guy told me the most popular whiskey drink in Spain was balvenie and ginger ale.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
There are some other good Irish out there, but  on Jamison.  You ever have the Caskmates Edition aged in Stout barrels?  Good stuff!
JTG, have you tried the caskmates ltd editions? Last year's was aged in Kelso pale barrels and this year's was done in capt. Lawrence. They were in and out pretty quick but if you hunt around you might still be able to find some of the capt Lawrence. I put away one of each for myself. Haven't really decided when I'm gonna open them.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
No, haven't had those.  Captain Lawrence Liquid Gold is good stuff!  I'll keep my eye out for the Captain Lawrence one....
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Mentioned this one before, but it's worth a repeat.  Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye is the bottle that made the trip to Placid with me this weekend.  A 90% rye mash made with an unusually fruity Canadian rye grain that is planted in the fall, blanked by snow after sprouting, and matured through the spring and summer, is Royal Crown's first rye whiskey.  It earned Whiskey Bible's World Whiskey of the Year honors in 2016.  Smooth, with very fruity notes.  Really good stuff. Only rye I've tried that I like better is Whistle Pig 10 year old, made with a 100% rye mash.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Saint Patrick's Day requires nothing less than a fine Irish whiskey!

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JTG4eva! wrote
Saint Patrick's Day requires nothing less than a fine Irish whiskey!

Good stuff there
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Work work work...

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
My hearts bleeding for ya

been into old fashions lately. for some reason they always taste good once the cold air hits.

that bottle reminds me of my trip to NY where we had Jame0 and pickle juice shots. Man were those things good!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I’ve enjoyed the stout edition of the Caskmates, yum!

Camp.....regular or orange bitters, muddle or no, and what are the only truely proper cherries for an old fashioned?   Time to see how well you’ve really gotten to know them!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Admitting to being a complete novice. When I make them at home I don't even put bitters in them  and when I've ordered them out nobody has given me choice of what kind.  

I like my fruit muddled, isn't it supposed to be???

No clue on the cherries ---- I grab whatever is on sale.

Please remember I'm normally a shot and a beer kinda guy  --- that's my kind of mixed drink

I'm open to any and all suggestions...
12345 ... 12