classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
234 messages Options
123456 ... 12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Whiskey/Bourbon/Rye/Scotch Thread

JTG4eva!
Hey, there’s no wrong answers, especially when learning!

It’s not an old fashioned without bitters!  I prefer orange, but either works, and variety is the spice (!) of life.

I don’t like my fruit muddled.  Maybe the orange if you want it in.  I cover orange with the bitters.  I hate when the cherries get mashed to bits because........eating the Luxardo cherries at the finish can be the best part of the old fashioned!

Other notes.....I like simple syrup more than sugar and a splash, I think it makes for a nicer drink.  Rye or bourbon are classic and equally good.  I think I might make me a Sailor Jerry old fashioned tonight.  Speaking of splashes, I really do not like them in my old fashioned.  For me it’s really just bourbon on the rocks with bitters/sugar/cherries.  Too much soda or something else ruins it, IMHO.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This post was updated on .
Jtg
In spite of being in the booze business, I'm not much of a cocktail/mixology guy myself but if you're into the bitters, Rochambeau Wines in Dobbs Ferry has the widest selection I've ever seen. If you're not in their neighborhood you could probably get them to ship to you.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
I know I like mine with cherries, oranges, pineapple, and a dash of sugar. I'm told that cheap whiskey is all one needs for an old fashion so I just go with Chimes. Do you agree with that?? Broski??
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Agreed, no need for expensive stuff for an old fashioned.

Never had one with pineapple....that might be a step too far?!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
You don't need to go top shelf but I wouldn't go too cheap either and I would suggest something around 90-100 proof so you can actually taste the whiskey a little. Rittenhouse rye is a good choice.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Thanks for the tips!

I'll try leaving the pineapple out and let you know.

Camp tomorrow night so it will be Manhattan's ---- whew, i don't really have my adult taste for those but do enjoy one or two after they get watered down.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Never been a Manhattan fan......and vermouth does nothing for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
The only thing I like in my whiskey is ice
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Most of the time I agree, but an old fashioned makes for a nice change of pace!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
You guys got my mouth watering.  Buying the big bottle for the neighbors who totally hooked us up while my wife was in the hospital, but I bought the little airplane bottle for myself haha

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Ok roll call:

Who would chose Makers over Knob?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Saw this the other day in our local - go big or go home? Seems like a lot of $ for a bottle of Scotch. However, I could buy a lot of groceries with 150 Air Miles (works that way up here). I was given a $125 bottle of 16 year old Lagavulin for my birthday, it was very tasty, bit how much more tasty is $300+? Sorry for the bad pic, the booze was behind glass in a locked cabinet.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Harvey
Knob over Makers.

Makers 46 over Knob.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
SBR, it is definately NOT worth the money. It's my experience that scotch stops getting better around 15 or 16 years, bourbon around 10-12. I've met lots of whiskey ambassadors and a couple master distillers and they usually agree.

Harv, put me down for Knob.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Brownski wrote
SBR, it is definately NOT worth the money. It's my experience that scotch stops getting better around 15 or 16 years, bourbon around 10-12. I've met lots of whiskey ambassadors and a couple master distillers and they usually agree.
Oh, don't worry, that is way out of my snack bracket.

I sent that pic to a British friend who lives in Scotland and is a bit of a whisky collector. He sent me a link to a fun store in Scotland that sells rubber, boots, outdoor clothing, groceries and fine spirits. You might enjoy browsing their selection:

https://www.thegreenwellystop.co.uk/

They have a 40 year old Glenfiddich, in a much nicer box, for only 2400 Pounds. I wouldn't pass up a tasting:

https://www.thegreenwellystop.co.uk/glenfiddich-40-year-old.html
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Saw this the other day in our local - go big or go home? Seems like a lot of $ for a bottle of Scotch. However, I could buy a lot of groceries with 150 Air Miles (works that way up here). I was given a $125 bottle of 16 year old Lagavulin for my birthday, it was very tasty, bit how much more tasty is $300+? Sorry for the bad pic, the booze was behind glass in a locked cabinet.

My buddy got this as a gift , he hates it..He prefers a much much cheaper Scotch...I'm not a drinker, I thought it tasted like fuel..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I think all Scotch taste's like kerosene.

I'll take Knob over MM as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
campgottagopee wrote
kerosene
LOL. I never drank in high school, but actually got into some trouble in Jr High.  One night we were camping out in the local woods and my buddy had some southern comfort.  That stuff was so sweet that the ants got into the bottle and we used it to start our campfire.  Doh!

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
LOL. I think SO-CO was a staple in all high school's nation wide. That stuff is poison.
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
LOL. I never drank in high school, but actually got into some trouble in Jr High.  One night we were camping out in the local woods and my buddy had some southern comfort.  That stuff was so sweet that the ants got into the bottle and we used it to start our campfire.  Doh!
Soco is something else but it gets the job done. Definitely not my first choice.
123456 ... 12