classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
376 messages Options
1 ... 78910111213 ... 19
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Threat of STR to mountain towns

campgottagopee
I took that article like the 2 dudes were butt hurt as well. Not sure why they should feel that way. To me the likes of VRBO are extended stays (week or so) and hotels are for a night or 2.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I can tell it’s a royal pain in the @ss to live near these rental units.  

It’s taking all the low tomid price housing stock out of the market and inside the Blue line there are limits to how many new houses can be added.  We are already have problems getting enough workers and this makes it worse as people can’t afford a home.  There is very little in the way of long term apartments.

Wilmington and Jay also need to follow suit
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Z assuming this a big problem in your neighborhood?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Harvey wrote
The first part answers the second part. The traditional industry doesn't want to compete with the new entrants if they aren't subject to the same rules. What am I missing? If I was a hotel, I'd do the same thing.
That was his point. The people who are trying to pass the rules are hotel owners with a vested interest.

And would you do the same thing? Let's say that there was some startup firm that paid people to click on websites and drive up pageviews & search engine hits, in ways that worked better than the SEO that you do with your company. Would you try to get the government to pass laws that hurt their business and helped your own?
I'm surprised any jurisdiction lets Uber and Lyft function the way they do, i.e. not subject to the same laws as taxis.  The playing field is so completely skewed.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
And would you do the same thing? Let's say that there was some startup firm that paid people to click on websites and drive up pageviews & search engine hits, in ways that worked better than the SEO that you do with your company. Would you try to get the government to pass laws that hurt their business and helped your own?
Pretending for a minute that that is what we do, I'd want any company we competed with to pay the same taxes and deal with the same regs as us. Who wouldn't want that?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Z assuming this a big problem in your neighborhood?
Yes - at one point we had ST rentals next door and across the street.  The one across the street was sold and is being used on the weekends just by its owners thankfully.  On the other side we have a very nice family for Montreal that we are friends with and watch over their place for them.

These things are party houses were these people are on vacation and stay up drinking outside and making a racket until 2 am on week nights.  The state popo won't come and deal with noise complaints and we have no townies so there is no oversight at all. We had domestic fights, guys instating to build bonfires when it hasn't rained in months so we had to call the owners all the time. The driveway is super steep so in the winter cars can't get up it and park blocking the snow plows. Thankfully the one next door got forclosed a year ago but the bank is prepping it for sale and chances are its going to be sold for a ST rental.  This shit is just bad for the DAKs and we need to take Boston's example and shut it down.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote

It’s taking all the low tomid price housing stock out of the market and inside the Blue line there are limits to how many new houses can be added.  We are already have problems getting enough workers and this makes it worse as people can’t afford a home.  There is very little in the way of long term apartments.
Exactly. This is a major problem here in North Creek as well, as we do not have enough housing for the amount of jobs that need to be filled. And that coupled with the fact that most available jobs are minimum wage are just above, why would anyone want to commute here, when there are those same paying jobs everywhere these days. I have spoken with our town supervisor about this, as I see this as a major obstacle for a town in The Adirondacks to grow.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Wow that sucks Z , hope you guys get some help on the problem.
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Z wrote
Yes - at one point we had ST rentals next door and across the street.  The one across the street was sold and is being used on the weekends just by its owners thankfully.  On the other side we have a very nice family for Montreal that we are friends with and watch over their place for them.
This really defines the issue. The local population LOVES the weekend owner who occasionally uses the property- they are rarely around and they are paying full property taxes and need very little of the local services - especially the schools. However, if somebody wants to make some money renting the property, well, this is not good.
The article states:
"There are more than 358 Airbnbs in Lake Placid, and most of these are in private homes."

Maybe it would be better if most of these homes were full time occupied and plowing kids into the school system?

You cannot have it both ways.

Z wrote
These things are party houses were these people are on vacation and stay up drinking outside and making a racket until 2 am on week nights.  The state popo won't come and deal with noise complaints and we have no townies so there is no oversight at all. We had domestic fights, guys instating to build bonfires when it hasn't rained in months so we had to call the owners all the time. The driveway is super steep so in the winter cars can't get up it and park blocking the snow plows. Thankfully the one next door got forclosed a year ago but the bank is prepping it for sale and chances are its going to be sold for a ST rental.  This shit is just bad for the DAKs and we need to take Boston's example and shut it down.
Nobody should be subjected to these type of situations. Instead of banning rentals that seem to be in high demand, the towns need to take some of the property tax money that 2nd home owners pay (and do not use) and hire some police.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
I don't understand how there can't be enough houses. I see abandoned house after house while up there.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
And those abandon properties are either condemned or selling at an outrageous price or both....

Glad we got into Wilmington when we did.  Search the 12997 zip code and you will see two/three afforable homes and the rest priced out of range.  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
The Adirondacks needs a trades school that specializes in the construction of long term highly energy efficient rental housing....
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
If they're selling then the price isn't outrageous. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

And you know it's all about location, location, location.

I searched Saranac Lake and found several affordable homes
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
👨🏻‍✈️ CaveTroll!  

The issue raised and responded to was the impact of str on ltr..  

Saranac Lake is not 12997

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
What the hell is wrong with you.

No shit that's the issue raised.

You said houses are selling at outrageous prices, well, if they're selling then they are worth it to someone. My point is that there are affordable houses there but a person may have to drive 20 minutes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
campgottagopee wrote
What the hell is wrong with you.

No shit that's the issue raised.

You said houses are selling at outrageous prices, well, if they're selling then they are worth it to someone. My point is that there are affordable houses there but a person may have to drive 20 minutes.
Affordable for who??? Certainly not the local worker making minimum wage, even at 2 full time jobs.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
There are 7 houses listed under 100K (49,900 to 99,900) and 18 listed under 150K (109,000 to 149,900) ----- I'd say if that isn't affordable then that person isn't ready to buy a house.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
This post was updated on .
The discussion that I started in this thread is the threat of homes not being available to rent year round, not buy, as the worker that is a renter, and making minimum wage, is probably never going to be "ready" to buy a home.

Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Gotcha -- my bad

Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
If the cops won't show up for noise complaints, just go kick their asses. Nobody knows nothin', capisce?
I don't rip, I bomb.
1 ... 78910111213 ... 19