classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
376 messages Options
1 ... 6789101112 ... 19
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Threat of STR to mountain towns

PeeTex
Some people don't notice it but I did. I sensed it in the rural areas as well as in Tokyo. I can't recall if I noticed it in Kyoto and I don't think I noticed it in Yokohama.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
PeeTex wrote
Some people don't notice it but I did.
I'll bite -- the smell of rotting fish?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
bumps wrote
PeeTex wrote
To me it seemed like a faint septic smell
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
PeeTex wrote
bumps wrote
PeeTex wrote
To me it seemed like a faint septic smell
Same septic smell was prevalent throughout Seoul when I visited South Korea about 12 years ago.  An open sewer smell.  Weird.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
The guy in the article is being forced out of his home so it can become a STR.  IMO that's basically eminent domain being used for private gain.
IMO, you either dont understand what eminent domain means, or you missed the bit about it not being "his home".
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
That article was 90% ridiculous claptrap.  

If we ever do reach the "STR apocalypse", you'd hit oversupply in that market segment and prices would fall, this in turn would rationally lead some homeowner to revert to LTR as those prices would increase due to the lack of supply.

In other words, this is all Economics 101.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Well, in the meantime, Mr. Darwin, even your Eco 101 professor has to live somewhere, and, the whole point is that the rent is too damn high!
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I have a few Canadians staying a few doors down this week.  Holy hot chicks with little clothes on.  My boy Jackie is like a magnet to them.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Pix or it didnt happen!!!!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
ScottyJack wrote
Pix or it didnt happen!!!!!
+1
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
I have a few Canadians staying a few doors down this week.  Holy hot chicks with little clothes on.
The best argument for STR yet.  And savvy men know women on vacation do not act like women at home.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
The full time year-round resident next door to the STR my family and I are staying in this week in LP has said she has had no issues with any renters. Just sayin'...
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Marcski wrote
The full time year-round resident next door to the STR my family and I are staying in this week in LP has said she has had no issues with any renters. Just sayin'...
Ahh yes, proof by anecdote.

Here's an interesting question for this forum:

If you were buying property in a resort town, would you want to buy in one with loose Short Term Rental policies or stringent rules against Short Term Rentals?

I guess I'd like the option to be able to rent to people - even if it brings the problems of noisy renters as neighbors and more tourists.

Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
This post was updated on .
http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2018/08/north-elba-supervisor-hopes-for-rental-regulations-in-lake-placid-north-elba-by-2019/

LAKE PLACID — After many years of talking about how to manage the vacation rental market here, one official said a solution is coming.

North Elba town Supervisor Roby Politi said the town and village could soon have a system in place so vacation rentals, via Airbnb and otherwise, are regulated by the code enforcement officer the way hotels and motels are.

“We’re pretty close to the permit system as well as regulating health and safety issues, parking issues and likely occupancy issues,” he said. “I think it’s being drafted right now by the attorneys, and then it will be reviewed by both boards, and there would have to be a public hearing, but hopefully, we would have it in place for 2019.

“I think that everyone feels that vacation rentals are a necessity for our community, but that they need to be regulated.”

Airbnbs and other vacation rentals have been on the rise in the town and village. While these temporary dwellings tend to offer cheap stays for visitors, they aren’t regulated like many other lodgings.

This house on Hillcrest Avenue in Lake Placid is an Airbnb rental. (Enterprise photo — Griffin Kelly)

“Years ago it wasn’t an issue,” said village Mayor Craig Randall, “but they’ve become the norm, not only here but in most resort communities. I think we should be looking at them similar to our lodging industry — hotels and motels — all of which have public safety requirements that need to be met.”

In August 2017, the town and village had a meeting to discuss the future of vacation rentals and implementing some type of registry. Randall said the consensus was that regulations were desired. Since then, he said, the conversation seemed to drop off. He and the rest of the village board were unaware of the town’s plans for pursuing regulation.

In a separate phone interview while Randall was in Jerusalem for the Summer International Children’s Games, he said, “I’m happy to hear that the plans are moving forward, and I’m sure the village trustees will feel the same, but it appears that the supervisor had information the mayor didn’t.”

Randall said the number of Airbnbs in the town and village is growing.

“I was sitting down with [Regional Office of Sustainable Tourism CEO] Jim McKenna the other day, and we looked at the numbers,” he said. “There are more than 358 Airbnbs in Lake Placid, and most of these are in private homes.”

In 2016, Essex County began extended its 3 percent occupancy or “bed” tax to Airbnbs and other vacation rentals, just like it does with hotels and motels. The 3 percent goes toward ROOST, the county’s official tourism promoter.

Though they are taxed, currently vacation rentals are not required to undergo any official inspections. This can create problems such as too many people in a home or too many cars in a driveway. There are also no standards or practices for proper plumbing and electricity or fire safety.

Randall said these are safety concerns, and if there is an emergency at one of these properties, he doesn’t want firefighters going in without any knowledge of the building.

“I have my own business [the Northway Motel] that is inspected by the building code officer and the health department regularly,” Randall said.

Politi is also in the lodging industry. He owns a large real estate firm that deals partly in vacation rentals.

One of the prime locations where vacation rentals have dominated is Hillcrest Avenue — the neighborhood where Randall grew up.

“The problem is the houses are so big over there,” he said, “so as families move on, these large homes are often converted into vacation rentals. Now the bulk of Hillcrest is vacation rentals. The properties are approved as residences, but they’re operated like hotels. Many are not rented through a local real estate agency but on the internet. Sometimes the guest never even meets the owner, so if the house has a plugged toilet or a plugged sink, the village gets those calls.”

There is also the problem of obnoxious behavior.

“The other aspect is there is no one to control the properties, and they can become a real nuisance,” Randall said. “A local couple came to me after the Fourth of July and said people in a vacation rental next door were lighting off fireworks and the casings were falling on the couple’s property.”

To address the nuisances, Politi said there would be a system for formal complaints.

“You always have complaints no matter what,” he said. “We’re trying to reduce the complaints obviously. You can file a complaint, and they’re going to be requirements that when complaints are made that somebody has to respond within a timely manner.”

In a separate phone interview, Politi also mentioned the possibility of a three-strikes-and-you’re-out policy, where if a rental receives three complaints, then that person’s registration is revoked.

As for their economic impact, Randall said vacation rentals play a major role.

“It’s huge,” he said. “We believe that the number of beds that are provided by rentals is equivalent to the commercial lodgings in Lake Placid.”

Randall said he didn’t know if registration would lessen that impact.

“When it comes to enforcing people to apply and register,” he said, “we’re not going to know how successful it is until we do it. I think it will mature over time, but we won’t know until we install the program. There may have to be a regulatory penalty for those who don’t apply.”

Politi seemed surer.

“No,” he said. “I don’t think it’ll make a difference to people. I think that the permit fees are not so burdensome that it’s going to have any effect whatsoever.”

When it comes to permit fees, Politi said nothing is final at the moment, but the price of $100 has appeared in conversation.

Politi described the regulations as a work in progress.

“When we draft this law, is it going to be the final law?” Politi posed. “No. It’s like our zoning laws. You know, they’re constantly changing, and this law will change, too. But we’re starting. We’re going to have it in place, and we’re going to have one. There’s no question about that.”
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Might be a double edge sword. Could drive real estate prices down due to people selling off if renting thier home is less viable or the permit/inspection process is onerous.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Seems like you got to do it. Somethings got to give when the primary industry in town is half taxed had unregulated.

Be funny if the biggest downtown hotel sold to a new owner who decide he wanted to use it as a house. It could make a super profitable AirBNB.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
Seems like you got to do it.
You’re probably right, like taxing internet sales.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
The underlining issue in the article is that these rentals are competing with the the hotels/motels and local rental agents and that is the driving force for more regulation. Where were all these "safety" concerns when local rental agents took 10%-40% of the rental money before VRBO type systems existed?

How about this statement from the article:
"Though they are taxed, currently vacation rentals are not required to undergo any official inspections. This can create problems such as too many people in a home or too many cars in a driveway. There are also no standards or practices for proper plumbing and electricity or fire safety."

If official inspections are needed for rentals, why not for all homes? So owner usage should not be subject to the same rules and inspections?  Who is to decide that there are too many people in a house or too many cars in a driveway? Why does it matter whether a house is a rental or not? As for proper plumbing, electricity, and fire, in theory, a house with a certificate of occupancy should already meet the proper codes. If the rental units do not meet the proper codes we can only assume that the non-rental units do not meet the proper codes.

Some more quotes:
I have my own business [the Northway Motel] that is inspected by the building code officer and the health department regularly,” Randall said."
Village of Lake Placid Mayor Craig Randall

"Politi is also in the lodging industry. He owns a large real estate firm that deals partly in vacation rentals. "
North Elba town Supervisor Roby Politi

I wonder what the motivation is for trying to regulate the internet rentals?

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
x10003q wrote
The underlining issue in the article is that these rentals are competing with the the hotels/motels and local rental agents and that is the driving force for more regulation.

The first part answers the second part. The traditional industry doesn't want to compete with the new entrants if they aren't subject to the same rules. What am I missing? If I was a hotel, I'd do the same thing.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
x10003q wrote
The underlining issue in the article is that these rentals are competing with the the hotels/motels and local rental agents and that is the driving force for more regulation.

The first part answers the second part. The traditional industry doesn't want to compete with the new entrants if they aren't subject to the same rules. What am I missing? If I was a hotel, I'd do the same thing.
That was his point. The people who are trying to pass the rules are hotel owners with a vested interest.

And would you do the same thing? Let's say that there was some startup firm that paid people to click on websites and drive up pageviews & search engine hits, in ways that worked better than the SEO that you do with your company. Would you try to get the government to pass laws that hurt their business and helped your own?

(I agree that these rentals should have some requirements, but I'm not sure if the intent of these hotel owners is to make the requirements so onerous that no possible Air B&B would be able to meet them. Aren't people already pissed about excessive regulations?)

1 ... 6789101112 ... 19