376 messages Options
1 ... 891011121314 ... 19
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Threat of STR to mountain towns

Z
Campy that low end market in SL are really run down.  Mostly those houses are rented to college students from the two local schools.

The traffic this week in LP is the worst I can ever remember.  The Lax thing is going on.  That event is one I think we could do without.  It’s getting to the point where there is some huge event in LP every week.  I think they could start to be more selective.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Z wrote
Campy that low end market in SL are really run down.  Mostly those houses are rented to college students from the two local schools.

The traffic this week in LP is the worst I can ever remember.  The Lax thing is going on.  That event is one I think we could do without.  It’s getting to the point where there is some huge event in LP every week.  I think they could start to be more selective.
They will never turn away business. Those in power have a long tradition of owning lots of beds and those beds need to be filled.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I 'd think there is a correlation between economic activity and traffic. For those who count on the local economy, traffic might be worth dealing with.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by x10003q
So they run a Lax tourney so it fills beds but probably more rentals than hotels.  Those that run the hotels might be better off on an August weekend with regular tourists over this event.  My point is to be more selective for events as well as factor in the impact on the community.  Traffic jams don’t promote the ADK experience that makes this area special.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
The high peaks area is way overcrowded on the weekends. It’s been that way now for several years.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
This thread is funny because if you read it from the beginning, Coach complains about tourists & Lacrosse players repeatedly over the years.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
https://thepointsguy.com/news/are-your-airbnb-stays-ruining-european-cities/?utm_source=FACEBOOK&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=FACEBOOK-100000283455255&utm_term=Editorial

It’s a problem everywhere and is being limited in many Euro cities as well as Boston
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
This thread is funny because if you read it from the beginning, Coach complains about tourists & Lacrosse players repeatedly over the years.
Yea - and he also says what a great quality of life it is.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Z
A relevant article from 2017 for Colorado.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/05/02/is-airbnb-ruining-mountain-towns-for-locals-32m-short-term-vacation-rental-net-for-3000-colorado-homeowner/

Most of the negative news I've heard about AirBnB is related to rentals that are illegal.  Meaning in residential areas that have laws that ban short-term rentals.  That's a different situation than unregulated rentals where there are no guidelines and no restrictions.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/23/unwelcome-guests-airbnb-cities-battle-over-illegal-short-term-rentals.html

About the new rules for Boston passed in June 2018.  Apparently the new rules match what Cambridge did earlier.  The two neighboring municipalities are quite different.  I found that out for parking meters when my daughter started going to school in the area.  Cambridge still requires quarters while Boston installed newer meters that take credit cards.

https://boston.curbed.com/2018/6/13/17460760/boston-airbnb-regulations-what-are-rules

I have a friend who owns a small B&B that isn't right in town.  AirBnB and VRBO have certainly had in impact on his business in recent years.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I wonder how many units are vrbo because the owner couldn't afford a vacation property otherwise?
  There's got to be some sort of happy medium for actual residents and str owners.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Johnnyonthespot wrote
I wonder how many units are vrbo because the owner couldn't afford a vacation property otherwise?
  There's got to be some sort of happy medium for actual residents and str owners.
I wonder that, too.

I think it'd be nice to have a house close to your favorite ski area, with a small mother-in-law apartment over the garage that you could AirB&B or rent out to friends or family or whatever.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Been here 19 years and the quality of life has been great but is declining mostly to to tourists becoming a serious pain in the ass
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Jackson Hole is very similar to the Daks in that it’s surrounded by National Park and Forest service land and can’t expand as market forces would normally dictate.  They have passed a law only allowing ST rentals in designated condo complex’s where they would be a nuisance nor take away from the locals housing stocks.  You can rent for a min of 31 days outside those complex’s

https://www.tetoncountywy.gov/653/Short-Term-Rental-Violations

This is the model that we should be using to regulate this locally.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Lol
One of our crew was up there with his family for Lax. They spent some cash as all the families up there for Lax do.  I'd think the locals would be happy as hell people want to spend money there to keep LP a beautiful and vibrant town.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
That and helping the local tax revenue stream .. Such First World Problems !  WHiny assed lil bitches. Like the smallest fiddler in the world playing hearts and flowers  hahahaha .

You live in beautiful area , people spend money there, which keeps your taxes somewhat under control . Others are less fortunate  .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
you betcha.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by warp daddy
Besides ST rentals  there are very few businesses in Jay for tourists to spend money.  We get plenty of headaches and zero tax gain.  Wlimington and LP have more pain but get huge tax benefits.  If I had any impact on my taxes or making our community better I’d have less of a case.  

The fear though if the traffic and crowds impact the natural beauty of our region it will become a big problem. There are many sacrifices you have to accept living inside the Blue line and if it becomes too expensive to live where are the workers for these tourism business going to get workers from?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Z is dangerously close to calling for higher property taxes and higher minimum wages.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Or less idiots not respecting our Park
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by Z
I hear ya , some other affluent areas import young people from other nations to work by the season .

In Cape Cod and the Gold Coast of Maine we always run into University students from Jamaica , From Ireland and workers from several  Eastern European nations . They house them in old motels or homes . Not saying its ideal but it works .  Didnt the GA in LP do that with the High Peaks Mountain INN across the street from the Arrow ?
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
1 ... 891011121314 ... 19