1 ... 141516171819
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Threat of STR to mountain towns

Cunningstunts
Banned User
tjf1967 wrote
Oh yeah it did,  people knew to keep their mouth shut back then.  They either made it or they didn't.
Well, seen as how MM calls his lawyer for disturbances, I don't think he would have made it in the WW.

Sorry bud, the irony was too good.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Now that was ironic
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
This is kind of an interesting discussion in the big scheme of STRs and IT consequences across the country.  However, the idea of congestion and neighborhood destabilization in Ausable Acres?  Methinks the sharks are getting tired of looking up.  Hey, Z is a great guy.  I’ve enjoyed skiing with him.  I enjoy his local perspectives.  However, Curmudgeon1 as a handle might sometimes fit with those perspectives!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Haha - yeah.  I'm glad MM chimed in.  He's a smart guy who knows a lot of things.

I'm just a dum dum who has been very extensively trained to try to look for the source of a problem and ignore ancillaries.

PS I got no beef with Z.  He and I are about as polar opposite as it comes on the political spectrum, so I've tried to avoid that aspect as much as possible and see him just as another family guy living the struggle and not some opposing political ideology.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Cunningstunts wrote
tjf1967 wrote
Oh yeah it did,  people knew to keep their mouth shut back then.  They either made it or they didn't.
Well, seen as how MM calls his lawyer for disturbances, I don't think he would have made it in the WW.

Sorry bud, the irony was too good.
I know, and I've never actually called a lawyer except once to evict a tenant.  You can either call the cops (who may not care about your problem) to deal with dirtbag tenant, or threaten to sue the landlord, who usually has deeper pockets.

Municipalities deal with nuisances by new rules or zoning all the time, and everyone supports that when it's their own neighborhood. It's only when other people have problems that government tramples individual rights.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Cunningstunts wrote
Haha - yeah.  I'm glad MM chimed in.  He's a smart guy who knows a lot of things.

I'm just a dum dum who has been very extensively trained to try to look for the source of a problem and ignore ancillaries.
But you ignore the cause and focus on the effect. Maybe you didn't finish that training.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote
I know, and I've never actually called a lawyer except once to evict a tenant.  You can either call the cops (who may not care about your problem) to deal with dirtbag tenant, or threaten to sue the landlord, who usually has deeper pockets.

Municipalities deal with nuisances by new rules or zoning all the time, and everyone supports that when it's their own neighborhood. It's only when other people have problems that government tramples individual rights.

mm
I obviously understand all this, but the term "absent" landlord keeps coming up, and I am confused on this.  I've rented a number of times and my land lord was never "present".  He may have lived in an entirely different town, even county.

If there was an issue, he was never there right away.  I recall one issue where I lived in a duplex and the sewer pipe was on my side of the basement.  It clogged, flooded and my neighbors continued to use the shower and toilet until we finally asked them to please stop until we could get it fixed.  It was a mess.  I believe the town came and pushed out the clog before my landlord ever even showed up.

How would this be any different if I was having a party?  If the neighbors had an issue and called the police, they'd likely be there to deal with it before my landlord even knew.

I also have a little experience of my own with noise ordinances.  I play guitar.  I build amps.  Sometimes it gets loud.  I rented at a town house once and a had a neighbor confront me directly.  Probably not a great idea on his part, but we could not come to an agreement so I asked him to please call the police so I could understand what the noise ordinance was and comply.  He would not.  He went to property managers who's only discourse was to threaten me with eviction if I caused another conflict.  I asked for some dB level or time constraints.  I got no answers.  Only threats.  I also happen to know that eviction is a rather long and arduous process, so I proceeded to play at my own risk unknown if I'd bump the knob up enough to cause another conniption from my neighbor.

I also called the police myself and asked what the law was.  They explained I was well within my rights and wasn't breaking any city laws, but because I was in a town house, it was up to the managements discretion.  I understood completely, but had I been just down the street in my own house, the situation would have been much different for the person that was offended by my noise.

I think this rather long-winded story illustrates the points that there are difficulties in these situations in resolving conflict.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Cunningstunts wrote
  I rented at a town house once and a had a neighbor confront me directly.  Probably not a great idea on his part, but we could not come to an agreement so I asked him to please call the police so I could understand what the noise ordinance was and comply.  He would not.  

Why would you say face to face confrontation is a bad idea.

That's exactly what I would do if I ever had an issue with a neighbor. It seems more neighborly to me to do that then call the cops or some weirdo manager dude. That said I've never had an issue with a neighbor over noise or anything like that. Years back, at my old house, I had a property line issue with a neighbor. I went over, talked to the guy, and we worked it out. Twern't  any big deal.

Calling the cops would be the last thing I did to a neighbor
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
campgottagopee wrote
Cunningstunts wrote
  I rented at a town house once and a had a neighbor confront me directly.  Probably not a great idea on his part, but we could not come to an agreement so I asked him to please call the police so I could understand what the noise ordinance was and comply.  He would not.  

Why would you say face to face confrontation is a bad idea.

That's exactly what I would do if I ever had an issue with a neighbor. It seems more neighborly to me to do that then call the cops or some weirdo manager dude. That said I've never had an issue with a neighbor over noise or anything like that. Years back, at my old house, I had a property line issue with a neighbor. I went over, talked to the guy, and we worked it out. Twern't  any big deal.

Calling the cops would be the last thing I did to a neighbor

It would have been if he was willing to negotiate, which if you read my entire post, you'd see I was.  He was hot and bothered and yelling and screaming at me.  He had no advice for any compromise on my end except to "Tone it down".  Sorry, but that's not a very good description for me.

I offered to have him tell me when he could hear me.  He would not.

Trust me, I tried to do a lot to appease this guy.  I was a country in boy in the big city for the first time...
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote
But you ignore the cause and focus on the effect. Maybe you didn't finish that training.

mm
Not sure how to respond to this in a proper way, so I'll say perhaps there's nothing left to say and hopefully Z gets a good night's rest and those hotels find a way to keep their customers.

Best of luck.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Do you realize you are describing yourself as a self centered prick with the story about you being a noise nuisance and it was somehow the other guys or your landlords problem not your own

Empathy for others please  google that to see what it means
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Psychopaths don't feel empathy.  Except when it's for STR owners.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Have you been diagnosed as a psychopath? I ask that with peace and love.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I locked this (again) because I was going into a meeting and didn't have time to read it.

I just skimmed the article and didn't think it was really all that political.

I like this thread, I've learned a lot from it.  I think it belongs in Woodstove too, vs OT as it is about the mountains.

Maybe cut down on the psycho prick stuff, and we can keep it going.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Z
I'm in favor of what I would call a level playing field for disrupters vs established. If hotels have to pay a tax then AirBNB should too. Taxis and Uber.

I have no idea what level of taxation or regulation is correct, but it should be the same for all competitors.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
I am way late to this convo but I enjoy using Airbnb and ride share companies like Uber.  If the hotel industry and taxi industries don't like it, come up with a better product/service.  As for it killing mtn towns, it also gives outsiders a more affordable way to find lodging.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/opinion/guest-commentary/2019/02/vacation-rentals-pushing-me-out/

The Hillcrest former neighborhood now a ST rental wasteland is ground zero for this issue.  I feel for residents trying to live there.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Palm to forehead.

My buddy just bought a condo at Kilington for what is a 20% increase in asking price over last years listing (personally, I think he should have waited until the Spring, when impulsive demand is down, but, whatever). Had me scratching my head. Why are prices going up? Duh. AirB&B.
funny like a clown
1 ... 141516171819