Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Threat of STR to mountain towns

MC2 5678F589
ScottyJack wrote
🍿🍿🍿
+1

I've hinted at RA's lazy brand of politics before - never taking enough time to learn about issues and policy, always coming in with the "both sides are the same" blast, and bringing in outrageous statements that he heard somewhere ("Taxation is Theft") with no thought behind backing those statements up. Nice to see someone else has caught on (and in record time!).
Reply | Threaded
|

mountainhigh
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Only solution I see that's workable is to eliminate all occupancy taxes, sales taxes on hotel rooms, and any other taxes that Air B&B rental owners are exempt from. Then tax the hell out of land for everyone, homeowners and business owners alike. Maybe that's not a solution. But we have to start taxing things of value. And it seems to me that in some of these mountain towns, the most valuable commodity is land (even though there are usually enormous expanses of it within a 20-40 minute drive, especially out west).
Oh my.  That's the "only solution [he] sees".  Well of course it is.  The penultimate paragraph of his post reveals that he has absolutely no clue how legislation of this type would be drafted.  As if it would (or even could, constitutionally) be drafted by naming the companies individually and then playing whack-a-mole as newly formed
companies enter the market.  Wow.  You should read more and post less.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
mountainhigh wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Only solution I see that's workable is to eliminate all occupancy taxes, sales taxes on hotel rooms, and any other taxes that Air B&B rental owners are exempt from. Then tax the hell out of land for everyone, homeowners and business owners alike. Maybe that's not a solution. But we have to start taxing things of value. And it seems to me that in some of these mountain towns, the most valuable commodity is land (even though there are usually enormous expanses of it within a 20-40 minute drive, especially out west).
Oh my.  That's the "only solution [he] sees".  Well of course it is.  The penultimate paragraph of his post reveals that he has absolutely no clue how legislation of this type would be drafted.  As if it would (or even could, constitutionally) be drafted by naming the companies individually and then playing whack-a-mole as newly formed
companies enter the market.  Wow.  You should read more and post less.
What was your solution again?
Reply | Threaded
|

mountainhigh
Slow down there little guy.   Your posts, maybe just because you're so prolific, display a far shakier grasp of reality than RA's do.  Have you ever had an unexpressed thought?  All your opinions have that "new car smell."
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
mountainhigh wrote
Slow down there little guy.   Your posts, maybe just because you're so prolific, display a far shakier grasp of reality than RA's do.  Have you ever had an unexpressed thought?  All your opinions have that "new car smell."
You have 11 posts on this forum and you're accusing me of having a "new car smell"?

Hmmmm... I'm getting a vague whiff of freeheelwilly.... Nah... Couldn't be....
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by mountainhigh
How would taxing the hell out of land help the working class afford to live, well anywhere??  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Freeheelwilly was da bomb!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
How would taxing the hell out of land help the working class afford to live, well anywhere??
Theoretically, it would lower house prices, people who own outright can rent to others for cheaper, it would encourage more density in building, etc.

Just spitballing here. I'm trying to figure out how to enforce the occupancy taxes for Air B&B owners, but coming up empty.
Reply | Threaded
|

mountainhigh
MC2 5678F589 wrote
What was your solution again?
The one that's already in place:  https://hostcompliance.com/news/2015/10/6/essex-county-ny-expands-bed-tax-to-vacation-home-rentals
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Free for all? Every man for himself?

Ahhh, okay you added the link.

Right. I'm just saying that's gonna be tough to enforce. If they can do it, I'm in favor. Read this paragraph of my post again:

I agree with the people that say that STRs should be subject to the same taxes and restrictions that hotels operate under and, by extension, Uber & Lyft should be subject to the same restrictions as cab companies
Reply | Threaded
|

mountainhigh
MC2 5678F589 wrote
mountainhigh wrote
You have 11 posts on this forum and you're accusing me of having a "new car smell"?
None of your opinions sound very well thought out or deliberate.  People worth talking to about these issues have spent a good deal of their professional lives thinking about them and marinading in them.  You, on the other hand, read something somewhere that confirms one of your many biases and then regurgitate it here.  New car smell.

Sorry little fella but you come across like an ideological featherweight.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
If you're looking for deeply researched opinions formed from years of study in a ski forum off topic section, I'd argue that it's you who is the intellectual featherweight.

I'm just a guy with opinions, just the same as you.
Reply | Threaded
|

mountainhigh
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Free for all? Every man for himself?

Ahhh, okay you added the link.

Right. I'm just saying that's gonna be tough to enforce. If they can do it, I'm in favor. Read this paragraph of my post again:

I agree with the people that say that STRs should be subject to the same taxes and restrictions that hotels operate under and, by extension, Uber & Lyft should be subject to the same restrictions as cab companies
I tried to do a hyperlink but this software su........is less than optimal.

How would the first idea you floated here (you know, after you had thought about the issue for all of about 45 seconds) about people rushing head-long from AirB&B to HomeAway to WarmShowers, do anything about that?  

Just stop dude.  Stop right now.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
mountainhigh wrote
.  Stop right now.
No. You stop.

My opinions are just as valid as yours.  
Reply | Threaded
|

mountainhigh
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Not all opinions are created equal.  You do understand that, don't you?

I think people in general, including when they're posting on ski forums, should stick to talking about subjects that they know something about.  I guarantee there are subjects you are very knowledgeable about; I'd like to hear you from you about those.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
mountainhigh wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Not all opinions are created equal.  You do understand that, don't you?

I think people in general, including when they're posting on ski forums, should stick to talking about subjects that they know something about.  I guarantee there are subjects you are very knowledgeable about; I'd like to hear you from you about those.
Fine. I'll give you those, and I'll throw in a bunch of opinions on other stuff, too.

Hilarious that this is how you argue when we agree (that Air B&B's should be taxed like hotels). Can't wait to enjoy this banter when we disagree.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
My personal opinion is that the Woodstove is officially as cunted up as the hot topics forum.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I hope that the tax and regulation structures will catch up.  If hotels should be regulated then AirBnB should be too. If cabs need to be regulated then Uber should be too.  

As long as the rules are the same, I think you have to allow it.

I guess the issue is really zoning as sno points out.  But if you zone it out of your neighborhood those same rules already apply to hotels.

Great topic for a thread Z. If OK with you I'd like to change STR to Short Term Rentals.
Sure Harv Go ahead and change it
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
mountainhigh wrote
I'm liking this new MtHigh guy.  15 posts and he has Matt nailed
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
123456 ... 19