Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Threat of STR to mountain towns

Z
MC2 5678F589 wrote
ScottyJack wrote
How would taxing the hell out of land help the working class afford to live, well anywhere??
Theoretically, it would lower house prices, people who own outright can rent to others for cheaper, it would encourage more density in building, etc.

Just spitballing here. I'm trying to figure out how to enforce the occupancy taxes for Air B&B owners, but coming up empty.
Wow even the other liberals are calling Matt out on his tax to the bejeebus and figure it later mindset.  Matts answer to everything is just to tax it somemore so that no one can afford anything.

To steer this a bit back out of the OT section the key to me is make no sure everyone is playing by the same rules.  It's not that hard for a town or county to set up a google alert for any site advertising STR in that area.  In th article I posted at the beginning of this thread there was a tech company sited that did just that to catch tax avoiders.

Long term it's a quality of life and zoning issue so we need to local town boards on board to zone this out of residential areas.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
I'm liking this new MtHigh guy.  15 posts and he has Matt nailed
I agree, he calibrated Matt in just a few posts. I would say that is easy, but we have quite a few who after several years still have not figured it out.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Coach Z wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
ScottyJack wrote
How would taxing the hell out of land help the working class afford to live, well anywhere??
Theoretically, it would lower house prices, people who own outright can rent to others for cheaper, it would encourage more density in building, etc.

Just spitballing here. I'm trying to figure out how to enforce the occupancy taxes for Air B&B owners, but coming up empty.
Wow even the other liberals are calling Matt out on his tax to the bejeebus and figure it later mindset.  Matts answer to everything is just to tax it somemore so that no one can afford anything.

To steer this a bit back out of the OT section the key to me is make no sure everyone is playing by the same rules.  It's not that hard for a town or county to set up a google alert for any site advertising STR in that area.  In th article I posted at the beginning of this thread there was a tech company sited that did just that to catch tax avoiders.

Long term it's a quality of life and zoning issue so we need to local town boards on board to zone this out of residential areas.
NYC's policy to prevent that grey area where someone says that "it's just my friends visiting" says that if the primary resident is present in the same residence, it isn't considered a STR.  I think the ideal policy is that people can rent for up to a certain number of days in a calendar year without needing a permit/license to operate a lodging business.  To rent more than that, they need to obtain the said permit.  It might be difficult to find out how many days that they would have rented, but I'm sure that something could be figured out.  I'm against raising land taxes because it would affect long time residents more adversely than the short term rental hosts that we're trying to limit the number of.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Matt, who pays the bills in your basement? Your math sucks.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Coach Z wrote

This is good, but so many zoning laws are frickin ridiculous... again the more we bitch about the others, tighter the restrictions get on all of us, which I don't like... It's my f'n land, you already have the taxation carrot out in front of me lay to hell off, already.

This is why homeowners associations are becoming more and more popular, gives the people in that micro community much more say into what's going on at the neighbors house, how it looks etc..

The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Chris wrote
Coach Z wrote
This is good, but so many zoning laws are frickin ridiculous... again the more we bitch about the others, tighter the restrictions get on all of us, which I don't like... It's my f'n land, you already have the taxation carrot out in front of me lay to hell off, already.

This is why homeowners associations are becoming more and more popular, gives the people in that micro community much more say into what's going on at the neighbors house, how it looks etc..
Are we for or against HOAs around here?

Houses with such agreements never seemed very appealing to me for the reasons Chris mentions. I don't like the idea of some group of dickhead neighbors telling me what to do with my house. Plus, the fees that some of these places charge? Yeesh.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Unfortunately many of the HOA's are very pro-rental.  This is likely due to homeowners who don't really live there and just act as rental brokers being allowed to join.

With regard to it hurting lodging businesses, the chain hotels like those under Hilton, Holiday Inn, and Mariott will be fine.  It's the smaller mom and pop establishments that will really get the shaft.  Don't we want to be supporting local businesses rather than allowing something that hurts them to take place?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Whatever happened to knocking on the neighbors door to settle a disagreement?  Seems to work with most of the problems I encounter in my neighborhood.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Sometimes that works and other times it doesn't.  If your neighbors are constantly changing (like if the house next door is a STR party house), you might not feel comfortable going and knocking on the door because you don't know who they are and how they might act.  
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Im considering doing it with my house..  Why not...?
Make $$ and don't have to worry about certain types/groups of people messing your stuff up because you have to rent to them by law...  
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
dmc_hunter wrote
Make $$ and don't have to worry about certain types/groups of people messing your stuff up because you have to rent to them by law...
People on this forum think you mean "snowboarders".😂
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
witch hobble wrote
dmc_hunter wrote

whatever... I'd rather rent to snowboarders that Hassidics from NYC...
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
dmc_hunter wrote
witch hobble wrote
dmc_hunter wrote

Stand up to those Fucking Cockroaches...

yes I'm Jewish..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
JasonWx wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
witch hobble wrote
dmc_hunter wrote

Stand up to those Fucking Cockroaches...

yes I'm Jewish..
I feel bad feeling like this - but I've seen the damage done to houses at the end of the summer..  It's not pretty..
I don't mind them in my town - it's all good... But... The rentals take a beating...
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
don't feel bad...They have no remorse about fucking up your town..
They are destroying Rockland County..
Because of them, Rockland County receives the most welfare money in the state...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
JasonWx wrote
Because of them, Rockland County receives the most welfare money in the state...
I really think that STRs are the way to combat this..

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
We rent a town home right now. The long term renters have been the problem as far as sketchy shit going on. The str folks are very nice, easy going vacationing family types. We don't have any str party pads like loco keeps mentioning.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Matt, who pays the bills in your basement? Your math sucks.
Bot Bot Bot ALERT!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
Slowboarders dont have any money to pay rent!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
This may sound like a religious thing but I can attest that it is not. It's about a group of people separating themselves from their neighbors and taking advantage of the system. Jason is 100% correct here. What's happening in Rockland has nothing to do with STRs though. It's a whole 'nother  thing
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
1234567 ... 19