Time to transition to Teleskiing?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
64 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Time to transition to Teleskiing?

Ethan Snow
So I just had an Oh shit moment. I am not by any means a park rat, but I love hitting jumps. If you watch me ski, you will find that even on the smoothest of groomers, I manage to find a bump to pop off of, and then attempt to land in a GS turn. I kind of feel like my style may be prohibitive to tele skiing. Ideally, I would like to have both setups. Not to mention I just dropped a bunch on a new set of custom fit Alpine boots this fall.

I just want to mix things up a bit.

Has anyone ever sent it off a 50' kicker on tele skis? Now I want to try this.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Ethan Snow wrote
Has anyone ever sent it off a 50' kicker on tele skis? Now I want to try this.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
There's a dude on here who has lauched triple digits on real skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
campgottagopee wrote
There's a dude on here who has lauched triple digits on real skis
I'm not sure what real skis are, but you mean like 250 meters?
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Ethan Snow wrote
I kind of feel like my style may be prohibitive to tele skiing.

If these kids can figure out how to do this shit on XC skis, NNN bindings and leather boots, then I'm pretty sure you can figure out how to jump with modern Tele gear.

PS the first part of that video is long, but the action starts around 2:53
Reply | Threaded
|

timbly
This kind of thing?

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
https://nyskiblog.com/andrew-newell-cross-country-skiing-in-the-park/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User

Anything that can be done on fixed heel skis can be done with free heels, only with more style
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Except go fast
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
we have a kid down here at blue that rips park tele
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts

Did you say something, camper?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Whatever dude

Lets put it this way. If FWD cars were better performing that RWD cars on the race track NASCAR would be racing them. You dig?

There's a reason the worlds speed record on skis has a real binding

carry on
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
I don't think anyone that has ever actually skied would argue there is any performance advantage of free heels over fixed heels, but you can do quite a bit on them.  There's also one factor that isn't that easy to quantify, and that's fun.

It's actually more like a rear engine Porsche compared to a mid-engine Ferrari.  The Ferrari has the engine in the right place and may be faster around the track, but there's something about driving a Porsche with that engine hanging off your ass end that makes it a hell of a lot of fun.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Some great stuff here. My gut feeling is still somewhere along the lines of Camp here. I like to go fast. Still probably gonna give this thing a good college try just to say I have done it.  May very well keep both setups.

BTW, there was a tele ski sighting in my very own basement today among the collection of 50 or so pairs of skis we possess.  These have been around for a few years, but maybe I can throw these bindings on a better set of skis, pick up some boots somewhere, and send it.

I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Ethan Snow wrote
the collection of 50 or so pairs of skis we possess.
I believe I am speaking for everyone here when I say pics please
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Ethan Snow wrote
Some great stuff here. My gut feeling is still somewhere along the lines of Camp here. I like to go fast.
Sounds to me like you have cold feet.

You'll never know unless you try.  I don't think camp can say the same, so I'm not sure why he's hating.

Those bindings are Voile 3 pin Cables.  They aren't all that active and they're better for BC touring kind of stuff.  I have a pair of those on skis on use on piste and they work OK, but nothing like the more modern Tele stuff.  

You'd be better off selling those and buying something more resort focused if that is what you are going to do.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Ethan's got decades in front of him. He doesn't need to try tele now.

I'd like to hear from MC, level 3 alpine and tele, why he never seems to ski alpine anymore. It's been years since I've seen him on fixed heels.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Harvey wrote
Ethan's got decades in front of him. He doesn't need to try tele now.

I'd like to hear from MC, level 3 alpine and tele, why he never seems to ski alpine anymore. It's been years since I've seen him on fixed heels.
Ethan has the same unknown amount of time we all have.  And nothing is easier to learn when you get older.

MC has said in other threads why he doesn't Alpine anymore.  Take a look, you'll find it.  It's pretty obvious, and the answer is here in this thread.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Talk to me about knees.   Starting to give me issues on long hikes coming downhill.   Tele seems like it would beat on the knees.  

By comparison skiing alpine groomers I consider almost no knee impact.  Bumped up or fresh snow and heavy wet stuff yea that takes a toll.  Same theory on tele impact?   More or less than alpine on same conditions?
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Hoser wrote
Talk to me about knees.   Starting to give me issues on long hikes coming downhill.   Tele seems like it would beat on the knees.  

By comparison skiing alpine groomers I consider almost no knee impact.  Bumped up or fresh snow and heavy wet stuff yea that takes a toll.  Same theory on tele impact?   More or less than alpine on same conditions?
Not surprisingly, there's no consensus.  One might think it's worse, but again, you have the option to stay up or get low.  Some people say they ski less aggressively, so their knees feel better.  Some say they ski more aggressively, and their knees feel better.  Some people say their knees hurt no matter what.

Oddly enough I know far more Alpine to Tele converts who have knee injuries or bad knees than the other way around.  Some people claim it's easier on your joints because the boots have more degrees of freedom and are softer.

People say all sorts of shit...

It's certainly more tiring.  But it's only more tiring when you actually Telemark turn, which is not a necessity.

I'm also trying to think of one single person I know that's actually tried Tele that disliked it.  It's definitely harder and you have to rethink some things, but the modern gear is so close to Alpine gear it's not that different.  Put on some leather boots and real freeheel (no cable) bindings and point 'em down a hill.  Then you'll know challenging skiing and perfecting technique and balance.