Titus Mountain sold

surfh2o
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Titus Mountain sold

Harvey
Administrator
Sounds like the people who bought it are serious entrepreneurs.

Who skis Titus? Tell me a tale...

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Good call Harv. Would love to hear something about Titus. Surely somebody who cruises these pages has skied Titus....Anybody ? MC2 ?

Wasn't there some involvement at Titus by the folks behind the Big Tupper project ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Maybe our reporter from St. Lawrence Univ. know something or could do some research?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Snowballs
I've skied there.  Pretty easy terrain, but it was really fun when I was a kid (skied there when I was like 8 to around 12, along with Tupper).  Not a ton of vert but a lot of little areas to explore and a lot of cool little quirks. There's was a fun little tunnel between the top left part of the mountain and the other part of the mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Snowballs wrote
Wasn't there some involvement at Titus by the folks behind the Big Tupper project ?
The Big Tupper connection is that there are 2 slopeside chalets at Titus being sold by LaValley real estate.  Jim LaValley is chairman of ARISE.  I beleive that Jim LaValley is not just listing/selling the 2 units at Titus, he is also an owner or investor.  Not sure if that ownership is with or without partners.  The units have been for sale for a long time.

The guys that bought Titus have an energy business based in Malone.  They sell heating oil & propane and haul bulk fuel via tractor trailer and operate about a half dozen convenience stores in the Malone area.  I beleive they also have a waste disposal business.  Titus has a sand/gravel operation, so maybe that's at least somewhat related to the purchasers' line of business.

I made a very brief attempt to contact Titus when I wrote my Season Preview article for Adirondack Almanack about 2 weeks ago, but didn't hear back.  This transaction probably explains why.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
The guys that bought Titus have an energy business based in Malone.  They sell heating oil & propane and haul bulk fuel via tractor trailer and operate about a half dozen convenience stores in the Malone area.  I beleive they also have a waste disposal business<quote author="Adk Jef</b>f">

Didn't HBO have show about a family like this
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
I've skied there.  Pretty easy terrain, but it was really fun when I was a kid (skied there when I was like 8 to around 12, along with Tupper).  Not a ton of vert but a lot of little areas to explore and a lot of cool little quirks. There's was a fun little tunnel between the top left part of the mountain and the other part of the mountain.

I knew it. You're such a Mtn 'ho MC2.

Thanks Jeff for that info. I recall reading in the BT thread something about unpaid taxes, utilities or liens on those properties.

Anyway, agree the new Titus owners appear to be go getters. Das good. Some convenience stores can be real cash cows, generating substantial profit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Zippy
This post was updated on .
Snowballs wrote
Zach White also worked at both Titus and Big Tupper as mountain manager.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Dang, Zippy, that was quick. Welcome to Harv's!

Free merlot avaliable upon request along with some web based comedy provided by Telemark Dave and SBR.

I just kinda lurk and enjoy their humor. Sure you will,too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Didn't HBO have show about a family like this
I can't write (or speak) the words "waste disposal" without thinking the same thing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Zippy
Zippy wrote
Zach White also worked at both Titus and Big Tupper as mountain manager.
Ouch.  Forgot about that connection.  That's the guy who stole the electricity used in Titus' snowmaking & lift operations.  Geez, Jason may be right....
In all fairness to Titus, I beleive the record shows that White acted alone and the mountain intself was not implicated in the theft of the electricity, which ran to something like a quarter million dollars.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
I've skied at Titus a couple of times but all over 20 years ago. It is a short drive from the Jonny Jay Secret Hideout (AKA my brother's house), just across the border in Quebec.  I recall some fun runs, with some short and steep pitches. My most vivid memory is my brother trying to teach my then 4-year old nephew to ski, while they were tethered to each other by a rope (popular method at the time). While his skiing skills are legend, Jonny Jay is not known for for his compassionate teaching style.

Glad to see they are maintaining the awesome birchbark theme on the Titus website. I am definitely going to try and get there this winter.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Zach White was the guy not only stealing the electricity at Titus he was also convicted of dumping sewage from the mountain into the river that runs by the area. And he is the Mountain manager at Big Tupper, guess that was the best they could find for the $$$$. And that Lavalley guy built/owns the 2 slopeside units on Titus. They have been sitting for aprox 6 yrs, still listed on his realestate website, price has dropped from about $350,000. when originally listed down to $195,000. Still no takers. Funny how Lavalley thinks that these same type units will sell for half a million and up in the ACR project, at a similar sized ski area with no snowmaking(sold off 2 yrs ago by developers) with antiquated lifts and the developers own plans dont call for any improvements to the ski area for at least 3yrs after they get an APA permit.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Ski Titus frequently but not exclusively its the closest hill to me .  Mtn presents 4 faces , The Lower Mtn The Upper Mtn , The Backside  and the Middle Mtn .

The Upper has the longest runs about a mile or so vert approx 800 continuous, great grooming --i mean really good grooming on all trails at Titus BUT that said IF FRESHIES come ( and they often do cuz of what we local call "the Titus Cloud"  , they leave it ungroomed )  The upper has a few secret stashes IFN u know where 2 go :>)

The Lower is strictly low angle stuff w a few twisty little headwalls interspersed along side trails .

The BACKSIDE = Nice steeps quick  about 500 vert, one in yer face hucking spot for them that  like to go off piste :>) off Hells Kitchen trail ooops did i say that :>))

The Middle benign drop about 300 or so that interconnects with the Lower to add another 400 or so of gentle cruising .

its Dirt cheap -- its fun -- it ain't gonna take yer breath away but it is a good days skiing for a great price with the best conditions -- they get snow and know how to FARM it

great staff , retro vibe
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
warp daddy wrote
Ski Titus frequently but not exclusively its the closest hill to me .
Warp Daddy, you better watch out, Harv will recruit you to be the Titus Mountain correspondent...
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
ROFLMAO  !!

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
warp daddy wrote
Ski Titus frequently but not exclusively its the closest hill to me .
Warp Daddy, you better watch out, Harv will recruit you to be the Titus Mountain correspondent...
I was practically banging out a note when SBR busted me.

Still... warpdaddy ... PM me if you want to talk turkey.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Harv thanks, its appreciated  but frankly not interested in ANY responsibilities at all at this point in life --

i'm retired  in other words its now 24/7 fun , As far as anything that resembles work/schedules /deadlines etc  -fugetaboutit Been There Done That

I ski all over with my buds , enjoy no encumbrances of assignments , responsibility other than my wife and adult children and grandkids now .

'sides which Harv , ya wouldn't want me , i'm an iconoclast and one who "thinks otherwise"

I'll chime in once in while qith TR's mebbe some shots of Titus ,Tremblant  and mebbe a few others we do but it'll be random , stream of consciousness stuff - Lmao
Reply | Threaded
|

miker92
In reply to this post by Goreskimom
I should definitely check it out. I've never been there but I know our outing club hosts a ridiculous party there every year later in the season. Everyone from campus who has never skied before gets on a bus, gets ferociously intoxicated and attempts to ski. I know a 400-person drunken Chinese downhill sounds hilarious and fun on paper, but in reality it's probably not the safest weekend activity. I didn't go last year but I made the mistake of letting a friend borrow a pair of skis for it. They came back with a huge core shot and a missing chunk of sidewall from crossing his tips.