ml242
This post was updated on .
whole version
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Today's Climb

ml242

Tower wall after hitting Rachel's Crack.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sweet photo ml, sorry I missed it when it happened?

I may be done climbing for this fall.  My left foot/toe always got a little sore, but yesterday my hand (mostly middle finger I think) really started to hurt.

Added to it I just wasn't feeling it. Both Neve and I were almost too tired to go and I barely was able to crank out my ten climbs.  Only once was able to reach the top on a single market (pink/easiest) route.

And our tenpack is done.

Definitely looking forward to getting my own harness next summer.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
It takes awhile for your ligaments to adapt to climbing in the beginning (think: years). It's really important not to overdo it in one session, and to allow yourself time to heal between climbs. Most pros take 6 weeks off a year at least in one break just to allow their bodies to nurse injuries that might not be apparent and get back to 100%.

Here's a new one from my gym, this line is ridiculous. I was belaying a guy one to the left and man...

https://vimeo.com/111585261
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In today's NY Times, Clif Bar drops sponsorship of several high-profile climbers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Good find James. Honnold's take rings true to me. Everyone defines their own level of acceptable risk.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Harvey wrote
Good find James. Honnold's take rings true to me. Everyone defines their own level of acceptable risk.
Sorry for siding with the corporation on this one, but Clif Bar has the right to draw the line somewhere.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Jamesdeluxe wrote
Sorry for siding with the corporation on this one, but Clif Bar has the right to draw the line somewhere.
I think Alex was saying the same thing. He's a classy guy but that freesoloing stuff is insane.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Took advantage of the unseasonably warm temperatures to spend some quality time at the Gunks the past two days. Definitely makes the lack of snow a bit less painful when you have such great climbing weather:
The Near Trapps

View from atop Dennis

The beautiful white face of Arrow

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks for the sweet photos jjp!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Oh, yeah!

I miss me some gunks big time. Sitting out today in the rain with no skiing or climbing sucked. What routes did you do?

Also, to keep this thread aliveL

Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
That trip I got on 3 Pines, Ursula, Bunny, Dennis, Arrow, and Ken's Crack. I've found that as long as the weather is sunny and the temps are above freezing, climbing at the Gunks is fairly comfortable. I there Friday, it was interesting dodging ice bombs from above all day. There were ice climbers in the Ken's crack area! I did Son of Easy O, which is definitely a new favorite.

Me on Son of Easy O

The Nears
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
It would be really fun to skin in and climb. Not much of a line for Bunny in January, huh?
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Yeah sounds like it would be a blast. I already can't wait for April. Skiing corn in the Adirondacks until it gets too slushy, and then climbing a couple pitches at Pitchoff in the late afternoon. Can't complain with how good skiing conditions are now though!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Nice! Where's that at? Certainly doesn't look like the Gunks... I opted for skiing on Sunday but I did get this sweet view of Wallface. Looking forward to maybe making an ascent this fall.

Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
nice, my climb is from the powerlinez on Saturday. Hitting the gunks this weekend, couldn't be more excited. I wish I had a little more gear though, those ascents get pretty damn spicy and nuts are so hard to place.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Sweet! I'll probably be back in Jersey for the summer so I'm hoping to finally check out the Powerlinez. I filled out the waiver last year but always ended up driving the extra 40 minutes to the Gunks. One more weekend of skiing for me and then I think I'll fully transition into climbing mode.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
led a 5.3 vertical crack today, a true beauty. What a weekend.
12345 ... 9