classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
193 messages Options
1 ... 5678910
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Today's paddle

Brownski
You guys are inspiring me. Gonna get a craigslist to look for a deal on a nice tippy fiber boat and just be done with it.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Today's paddle

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
My introduction to skis was a matter of getting thrown in the deep end, complete with a lesson in surfing them in “grommy” size overhead waves (about 7-10’ FFS!)

Geoff, my mentor and host for a week, was a lifelong Surf Lifesaving Club Member, in fact so was his wife Josie, and their three “nippers” (kids).  In Aussie lingo, they’re Clubbies.  It was an eye opening and stupid fun week.  He took me out in their double Surf Lifesaving Ski, designed to be paddled out through breaking surf to rescue people who needed rescuing.  In his words, if I can be comfortable in a double, a single will be apples. (Easy peasy and good).  

"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Today's Paddle

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
I'm in the market for a large recreational canoe this Spring.  Any idea on where to start?  I'll check craigslist and the Saratoga (and possibly Old Forge) Paddlefests.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Saratogahalfday wrote
I'm in the market for a large recreational canoe this Spring.  Any idea on where to start?  I'll check craigslist and the Saratoga (and possibly Old Forge) Paddlefests.
You are on the right track. If you’re particular and want to try out lots of boats first, paddle fest is the way to go for sure. If you’re just looking for a cheap beater, Craigslist- this would be the one I would investigate first:
https://oneonta.craigslist.org/boa/d/oneonta-canoe-3-seat-composite/6866500513.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
Thanks man.  Given that I grew up in o-town, I'll check that one out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Happy Easter to meeeee!  
My brand spankin’ new ski..  
Small issue though..  ice-out not.  Yet. Soon.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
So, did you actually go paddling or just cruise around with that missile on your roof?
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
LOL!  Kim Jung Un is envious!
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
D.B. Cooper wrote
LOL!  Kim Jung Un is envious!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Fuck KJU - I’m jealous
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
No paddling today. Spent most of Saturday afternoon and half the day today looking for my cam-strap bag. At least the garage got a good cleaning out. Very frustrating but since I finally gave up and am ordering some new ones, it ought to show up soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
New straps acquired. The old ones should be showing up in 321...
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
So I’ve put in some water time with my new ski..   literally... I think I'll name her Kyles Mom.   Entering the surfski is the toughest part, as there’s no primary stability, and even less secondary stability when you’re not paddling.  Any time one is idle, you take your feet out and hang your legs over the side of the cockpit to act as stabilizers..  (I’m sure glad I’m paddling on fresh water.).

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This post was updated on .
I think you need to track a trip on strava or something similar and tell me how fast that sucker goes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
For this reason the outrigger was invented.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Sick Bird Rider wrote
For this reason the outrigger was invented.
Touche!  Actually I’ve been working on convincing a friend to split on an OC2 next spring..
... in the meantime, I’m progressing little  by little with the ski..enough positives each session that I’m pretty stoked ..  
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
So yesterday I upped the ante, a learning session on the ski (now named The Jack Sparrow for it’s tipsy nature),followed by a workout paddle on my SUP..
To top off my day, Bon and I went out for a hour and a half afternoon bike ride on the beat down back roads ..
When all was said and done, I fired up the barbie..  best way to end a beauty Summer day!

All loaded up and looking pro..  BWAHAHAHA!
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
The lake is finally warm enough to limit the neoprene needed to booties..  

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
It sure is nice getting out every AM for dawn patrol SUP or  ski paddle before heading off for a day of enslavement to the Babylon Shitstem.  (Actually I do love my job, it just sounds so woke to talk like a Rasta)

Yesterday morning...

This AM..  
1 ... 5678910