1 ... 678910
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Today's Paddle

Harvey
Administrator
Telemark Dave wrote
It sure is nice getting out every AM for dawn patrol SUP or  ski paddle before heading off for a day of enslavement to the Babylon Shitstem.  (Actually I do love my job, it just sounds so woke to talk like a Rasta)

Yesterday morning...

This AM..

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Bit of an update on my “ski” progress..   it’s been a great (and often wet) summer of learning to ski!  Like most activities and sports , one gets luckier the more you practice.  Funny about that, eh???  

Overall, acquiring (or reacquiring) butt proprioception is certainly as much about your head game as it is your sitting game.  SUP paddling, by comparison, is waaaaaaay more easier, especially if one is a skier.. it’s all about your feet.

Anyway, so here you go.  TD the SOAPer.

"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
Sorry, no pics.

Today while in Lake Placid we did Paradox Bay to Pulpit Rock and back via SUP.  Probably 2 to 2.5 miles of paddling round trip.  Easy out with the wind at our backs.  Coming back into a stiff wind was pretty tough, and apparently (? or so someone told us?) East Lake/Lake Placid has a current, against which we were paddling.  So, beer and hot tub were in order once we got back to shore!

In two hours we saw maybe 4 other paddle boards and a half dozen kayaks.  Not very busy at all.  Fun day on the lake.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Sometimes I get to go canoeing as part of my job. Today we had a damp but fun morning taking tourism students from Georgian College for a North Canoe tour. It was a big group, so we used four of the big 10-passenger Voyageur canoes and a few regular canoes. There were young adults from Hong Kong, Columbia, Peru, India and Canada in my canoe. What a blast!

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Well spring is in the air, and in anticipation of liquid snow, I pulled the trigger and ordered another Ski.  I have two feet, after all..

A Think Evo, similar to the Epic V10 I got last year, but with a tad more volume. Also was able to get custom color ways - I ordered one with a brilliant red hull, and a dark blood red cockpit and stripes.  The blood red cockpit pays respect to the red decks on the Man of Wars in sailing warship days.  Hides the blood...

Same  bright red as this one, but dark red where this one’s white..

"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Telemark Dave wrote
Well spring is in the air, and in anticipation of liquid snow, I pulled the trigger and ordered another Ski.
Did you sell the Epic to acquire this one? Or "give" it to Bon? Or is this leading to an S-1 situation?
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
You’ve reminded me I should be looking for a tandem again
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
Well spring is in the air, and in anticipation of liquid snow, I pulled the trigger and ordered another Ski.
Did you sell the Epic to acquire this one? Or "give" it to Bon? Or is this leading to an S-1 situation?
Nope. Need two skis for two people.  We ski together lots in winter, soon we’ll ski together in the Summer!  Heck, there’s at least a couple SUP’s in the garage, and a plethora of bikes, so the Epic was pretty lonely all by itself.  😉
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I did a little reconnaissance to see if the put- ins in Piermont were blocked off or not. Turned out no so I went ahead and launched for a short refresher paddle this evening.

The little sheltered bay south of the marina was exceptionally calm. I attribute this to the lack of boat traffic. I could see that there was a stiff breeze out on the river itself.

It was evening already so I just did a little 45 minute figure eight, out into the river, north towards the bridge, back towards shore, back south to the pier and then back to the car.

Easy peasy.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Looks very tranquil brownski.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Very nice...forgot how vast the Hudson is down that way.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
onscott wrote
Very nice...forgot how vast the Hudson is down that way.
Yeah, The Tappan Zee is the widest spot. It gets narrower again to the south. It’s amazing how different it is from one section to the next.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Nice pics Brownski, I was thinking about taking the boats and was wondering if launches had been closed.

A few years ago we did a camping and kayak trip with a stop at Schodack Island near Albany, I was amazed that the river is still tidal that far north. The put in was was on the crick and we had to pay close attention to the charts to avoid getting mudded out
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
gorgonzola wrote
Nice pics Brownski, I was thinking about taking the boats and was wondering if launches had been closed.

A few years ago we did a camping and kayak trip with a stop at Schodack Island near Albany, I was amazed that the river is still tidal that far north. The put in was was on the crick and we had to pay close attention to the charts to avoid getting mudded out
That sounds like a fun trip. I saw online that the NYC parks boat launches are officially closed but I have no idea if that's being enforced or what is gated or not gated.
Reply | Threaded
|

green light
Brownski, please don’t forget that PFD’s are required  to be worn in NYS between 11/1 and 5/1 while in craft under 21’.In your selfie, it doesn’t appear that you are wearing one. We would hate to lose you!
its a beautiful thing
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
green light wrote
Brownski, please don’t forget that PFD’s are required  to be worn in NYS between 11/1 and 5/1 while in craft under 21’.In your selfie, it doesn’t appear that you are wearing one. We would hate to lose you!
So you're saying I need a bigger boat? Ha ha.

But seriously, I had one on. I wouldn't say never but I almost never paddle without one.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Brownski wrote
green light wrote
So you're saying I need a bigger boat? Ha ha.

But seriously, I had one on. I wouldn't say never but I almost never paddle without one.
Visible here
Reply | Threaded
|

green light
I see it now. Good man Brownski! If you want a bigger boat, by all means get one.
its a beautiful thing
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
And now Piermont parks are all closed. I guess it’ll be the non-official launches if I want to get out again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Do any of you fish while out there?
I don't rip, I bomb.
1 ... 678910