Photo of a girls basketball game in California
Note - Community College teams
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transgender and sports teams

Z
Back to my theme of liberals lacking common sense and the law of unintended consequences
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Coach Z wrote
Back to my theme of liberals lacking common sense and the law of unintended consequences

It is a complicated issue, but what's the big deal? It's high school sports.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I'm so tired of seeing this transgender crap on my facebook feed.

Is it of that I just don't care? Like I really don't give a f--.

I guess the television must be telling everyone that this is really important or something. I'm glad I don't watch it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Both sides are being ridiculous.  How are you going to enforce any of this? ID cards with a picture of your privates at birth?

After making the change transgender people probably look more like their new sex, if a trans born man >  now woman goes in a mens room it's probably going to cause more issues than letting her go where she wants.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
There's one positive thing I can say about getting old, I don't have to live through much more of this crap.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
lacking common sense and the law of unintended consequences
liberals havent cornered the market

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I still get get over the Satanic Starbucks Christmas coffee cup issue but it doesn't really matter since I am frozen with fear and have not left my house since Y2K.

Seriously, this television and corporate controlled media poop is making everyone more and more dumberer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Coach Z wrote

It is a complicated issue, but what's the big deal? It's high school sports.
That's right, Coach, it's only high school sports. You know where everyone makes the team, everyone gets a trophy, we are all equal

I mean why would we want to teach today's youth life lessons? Teach them how to be good losers and even better winners. Teach them that it's OK if you didn't make the team this year, go work on your dribbling skills and we'll take another look next year.

Nope, here we are ---- we are all equal. I think we should give every student A's ---- why not

ML -- in NO WAY am I meaning to slam you or anything like that. You asked what the big deal is, to me it's a REAL big deal and we're heading in the wrong direction with kids and their sports.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Ok here are two dichotomous thoughts :

1.I agree the issue Is a tempest in a teapot  and the notion that a president ANY president has to opine where one should pee is patently ridiculous .

2 but on a humorous level geez Campy if you and i WAY back when had Felt female when we were young hoopers , well Dayum coulda been a D1 wonder ,but shaving them legs might have sketchcy but the shower room benefits well that just mighta been worth it  hahahahaha

Ok back to reality to me its yet another manifestation of "  search for an issue " that has been going on TO DEFLECT our attention for the lack of action and resolution on many grevious problems . I will not list those since in other threads discussions we hqve mentioned thm like comtinual warfare since ww2 etc
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
warp daddy wrote

2 but on a humorous level geez Campy if you and i WAY back when had Felt female when we were young hoopers , well Dayum coulda been a D1 wonder ,but shaving them legs might have sketchcy but the shower room benefits well that just mighta been worth it  hahahahaha

Right on  
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
A few years ago I was clicking through TV channels looking for something to watch, and I paused at the Miss America pagent because the MC was interviewing one of the finalist, a very attractive blonde with an athletic build, and he had her biography in his hand and he said, I see that in High School you were on the boys wrestling team, did you win any matches, and she said, not directly because every single time she was to wrestle, her opponent would have his coach forfeit the match because the boys would not take the chance that they may possibly be beat by a girl.
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
Much ado about nothing. This http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/863322 however is something that everyone should be aware of and encourage.  This along with many other examples of the benefits of physical activity are why we need to encourage participation in athletics at an early age, even if(god forbid!)everyone gets a trophy.  Hey I was lucky, I was good at and enjoyed sports but it's encouraging to see participation numbers at 5k's, muddier events, mini tri's and other physical events skyrocketing among the "everyone gets a trophy"generation. In the past a local 5k was pretty much only run by hard core runners such as myself while others were reluctant to participate due to fear of failure or fear of being uncompetitive. This new enthusiasm is very healthy for our national public health as a whole and may save the nation a whole hell of a lot of money.  If a silly trophy and a scaling back of competitive fire reduces the number of Prozac prescriptions, Chemo cycles and insulin shots than stop bitching about the everyone gets a trophy shit.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Can't read the article you linked to. Seems you need a username and password.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
There's a place for everyone gets a trophy and the massive participation. It's been around for years and years. They call it intramural sports.
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
http://health.usnews.com/wellness/articles/2016-05-16/exercise-cuts-cancer-risk-huge-study-finds

Here's a article about the study.  Sorry bout that other link...
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
There's a place for everyone gets a trophy and the massive participation. It's been around for years and years. They call it intramural sports.
Varsity sports no longer have capped numbers?  News to me.  My kid's high schools in NYC still have try ours with cuts etc.. Which is cool with me.  I think the ultra competitive youth sports prior to high school (travel team hockey/baseball, competitive ski racing, football) are creepy as fuck.  It's the male equivalent of those creepy preteen beauty pageants.  Usually washed up middle aged fat dads trying to relive some past glory through their pre-teen son..... Gross.  Kids seem to relax and enjoy and actually stay with a sport longer if it's more low key in the early years.  
All I know is I see many former high schools stars who are out of shape middle aged men from my generation with avoidable health issues who would have benefitted from continuing with athletics into their adulthood but were too consumed with not being good enough at new things to try something new.  Can't play football forever....
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
JohnIrvingwrestles wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Varsity sports no longer have capped numbers?  News to me.  My kid's high schools in NYC still have try ours with cuts etc.. Which is cool with me.  I think the ultra competitive youth sports prior to high school (travel team hockey/baseball, competitive ski racing, football) are creepy as fuck.  It's the male equivalent of those creepy preteen beauty pageants.  Usually washed up middle aged fat dads trying to relive some past glory through their pre-teen son..... Gross.  Kids seem to relax and enjoy and actually stay with a sport longer if it's more low key in the early years.  
All I know is I see many former high schools stars who are out of shape middle aged men from my generation with avoidable health issues who would have benefitted from continuing with athletics into their adulthood but were too consumed with not being good enough at new things to try something new.  Can't play football forever....

OK, now I got ya and I agree. Sports these days are COMPLETELY different than when you ( i think) and I were coming up thru the ranks. In my day we played three sports, for me it was cross-country, hoops, and soccer (played football for only 2 years but found the runners got me in better shape for hoops which was my main sport). Seems now kids just play ONE sport (pick anyone) and play it year round trying to become the next Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretsky etc etc etc. To me that's silly.
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles
The value of exercise towards living a happy healthy life can't be overstated.  I find it encouraging that (at least where I live) the younger people are more willing to participate regardless of whether they compete. Maybe it's the encouragement from the participation trophies or something else , they're less likely to not do something because they're "not good at it" than my generation.  It's sad to see an adult become sedentary because they can no longer be "really good" st something they once enjoyed.