classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Uneven Sidecut

Harvey
Administrator
I'm looking at another pair of Whiterooms to be mounted with NTNs.

Vin now does skis with different side profiles, inside edge and outside edge that essentially "adjust" for the fact that the inside ski travels a shorter distance.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Pros and Cons?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Uneven Sidecut

MC2 5678F589
I will die on the "asymmetric skis are dumb because you have to tune them twice as much & pay attention when you're putting them on" hill, but since you use 75mm and already have a right & left ski, those criticisms don't apply.

I'm sure JTG will come in for a K2 Marksman pitch in a few minutes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Do they make a difference in skiing? I guess it's purely a groomer thing.

Bad Harv doesn't really tune his skis very often...
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
I imagine you would need to be fitted to get this right, with variables being the stance (narrow = more gentle side cut), average grade of pitch (steeper = wider stance = more aggressive side cut) and type of turns that one favors (G.S. turns = more gentle side cut).

However, if you're not picky with tuning, it might not make a difference.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Harvey
What’s your goal in switching to NTN? Also, what does Vin say the asymmetric sidecut is for? Is it to make the turn easier no matter the speed or to increase hold at high speed? That should inform your choice right?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC doesn’t want to hear me praise the virtues of the Pep Fujas-inspired Marksman....maybe I’ll talk about the Drew Tabke-inspired Praxis Quixote!  Same difference.

Harvey, yes...I’m a fan.  The Marksman is the most fun ski I’ve ever owned, and I’m skiing them with tech bindings.  

Yes, the asym sidecut makes a difference.  As for groomers, when you do it right they carve rails better than any other mid-fat ski I’ve been on.  The shorter outside edge makes it easier to engage the edge on the uphill ski when carving.

No, these two skis won’t carve as well as a narrow GS ski....but with the likes of Fujas and Tabke leading the charge would you expect them to?  No....these guys are free-ride and jib-park all the way.  Now, I’m not a park guy...but I do spend the majority of my time off-piste chasing fun lines.  The shape of the ski effects the swing weight, making the skis incredibly nimble.  Carve a line, slarve to check your speed or adjust your line, throw them sideways on a dime if you need to.  The skis really shine opening up the whole mountain as your playground.....in addition to carving well, floating in pow, and blasting over crud.

Marksman is 106 under foot, Quixote is 118.  No idea how the asym sidecut would perform if you had it on a custom narrower ski.....but it looks like the ski you are eyeing is 108, so it’s right in line.

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm switching to NTN because the 22 Designs bindings I like seem to be destroying my 75mm boots.  In part that is why I am getting new skis, so I have both setups.  If I don't like it, maybe I'll go back.

My skis will be 97 underfoot. I'm considering it because Vin is recommending it.

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
If you're switching to NTN, you should not get an asymmetric ski.

Also, why not get a quiver? Why do you keep buying different iterations of the same ski? I feel like an 84-88mm waisted hard-snow day Carver would be a more useful complement to the skis you already have.

Jump Turn Guy, what does any of that matter if you're just making jump turns all the time?
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
97 seems like a good compromise!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
  The shorter outside edge makes it easier to engage the edge on the uphill ski when carving.
If anyone is having trouble with this, the thing you need is "a lesson" not "an asymmetric pair of skis"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
Typical MC.  Assume shit, take things out of context, and insult!  I’m glad I don’t bother with you any more.  I guess nobody should ever upgrade to equipment that helps to make things easier, even when using solid technique?

But yeah, I could benefit from a lesson here or there, who couldn’t....besides you?

You are perfect....the Perfect Asshole!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Hey, enjoy them if you get them Harvey.  Maybe you don’t “need” them (MC know your quiver better than I, just like he “knows” everyone’s business)....but they would be different and fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Typical MC.  Assume shit, take things out of context, and insult!
Followed by
I guess nobody should ever upgrade to equipment that helps to make things even easier, even when using solid technique?
which I never said, and

I could benefit from a lesson here or there, who couldn’t....besides you?
which I never said (I get lessons several times throughout every ski season). And you top it all off with an insult, even though I never insulted you:

JTG4eva! wrote
Asshole.
Nice work, dude .
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
  The shorter outside edge makes it easier to engage the edge on the uphill ski when carving.
If anyone is having trouble with this, the thing you need is "a lesson" not "an asymmetric pair of skis"
This is intriguing... last season my "good" (original) hip was giving me mechanical issues - no pain but it doesn't seem to "roll" over enough leaving my uphill ski unweighted more than i would like. No confidence at speed on one edge. Anxious to see if the offseason yoga and stretching work will make any difference.

you guys gotta lighten up, i'm seeing leaves starting to fall!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
Do they make a difference in skiing? I guess it's purely a groomer thing.

Bad Harv doesn't really tune his skis very often...
Can you say "Gimmick".
I think Matt is a dick but sometimes a dick can be right.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
People seem to like other assymetric skis like the Scotty Bob (tele specific) and Elan Ripstick (not tele specific but popular among tele skiers). The concept seems sound and if it it feels good, why not try it?
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
you guys gotta lighten up
Agree.

Ch-ch-ch-change is hard for me, I'll probably stick with the regular sidecut.

Regarding why I am going with the same ski... that's the ski I want to ski.

Last season was a nail biter. I learned that the only way to get through a weekend with shoe goo was to make sure the stuff cured all week.

Every Sunday I'd get home and wash off my 75mm boots and set them out to dry.  

Then on Monday am or at lunch I would put a super thin coat of the stuff on the duck bills where they were breaking off.  Then on Weds I'd add another coat. It was just good enough to get me through the following weekend.  I don't want to miss an opportunity for midweek pow because my boots are falling apart, and I want to be able to charge without gear fear.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Any reason you can’t just switch out the bindings on the skis you have?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Probably no good reason.

It will be interesting to see if I like NTN.

Kman told me on the first day he was ready to chuck them in the woods after 5 runs, but by the end of the day he was diggin it. We will see.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Any reason you can’t just switch out the bindings on the skis you have?
He can. Outlaw X & Vice/Axl use the same screw pattern. He should do that, then get a ski that fills a different role in the quiver (imo). If he doesn't want to buy two pairs of bindings, he should just get inserts.

Also, Harv, they always have plenty of Demo NTN stuff at the Plattekill Tele fest. You could try before you commit.

Finally, I'm fully lightened up. I made one comment and was called an asshole and a dick for it (just like I made one lighthearted comment in another thread and was told to "shove it up [my] ass" "cupcake" and that I was a "pecker head" who "would piss on [Harv's] wife's grave").

I feel like there's a lot of tension among certain people on here for some reason.