Utah Ski Trip Question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
54 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Utah Ski Trip Question

Southern Tier
to each their own but i wouldnt stay in sandy.  that's an annoying traffic jam every afternoon and when a storm rolls in you cant get up the canyon.  
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Where is the choice  Dip into my trust fund?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Southern Tier
Southern Tier wrote
to each their own but i wouldnt stay in sandy.  that's an annoying traffic jam every afternoon and when a storm rolls in you cant get up the canyon.
Right, but both canyons are on the IKON pass. Having already skied Alta/Snowbird (and with a local that can point me to some places that might not be skied as much), I'm okay to explore Brighton or Solitude and hit Alta the next day.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Where is the choice  Dip into my trust fund?
I don't think I'd be considering the Holiday Inn Express and taking the 45 minute bus ride if I had a trust fund.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
MC2 5678F589 wrote
We've been to Park City & don't have a huge desire to go back there. My plan was to ski Alta/Snowbird on days where LCC had easy access & Brighton/Solitude on the other days.

Yes, I guess it's $4.50/ride on the bus per person, so for both of us, I guess that's $18 a day. Not sure I could rent an SUV for cheaper than that (pretty sure I can't). But I am renting an SUV for the Jackson Hole part of the trip, so maybe I can get a weekly rate or something. Or drop down to 2WD to save money, but that might be iffy.
You said you wanted to keep your wife happy, while watching the budget.  Rent a 2WD car and stay in a motel in Sandy/Midvale near a bus stop.  Only ride the bus if it's a powder day and driving up the canyon requires AWD.  Always better to park at a lot farther away from the base of LCC in order to get a seat on a relatively empty bus.

If you can get a weekly rate, even if you have the SUV, riding the bus may still be better for LCC on a deep powder day. Although I know local who just go have fun skiing in BCC at Solitude.

I've stayed at the La Quinta in Midvale.  Hot breakfast, indoor pool and hot tub, inside hallways.  Near a bus stop.  Learned about it from the SkiSE 10-15 years ago from self-described "rednecks who like to drink beer and ski" in the NC mountains.  Know of a small group who would not rent a car even back before TRAX went to SLC airport.  They would stay at the La Quinta, get a SuperPass for 4 days of skiing, and have a ball.

Depending on the timeframe, getting a dorm room as a private room at one of the lodges in Alta can be a reasonable option for 2-4 people.  Assuming someone values the ambiance and great food that's included.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
He might need an AWD to get up to Jackson
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
raisingarizona wrote
I know that.  Was answering the question for the SLC portion of the trip.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
marznc wrote
raisingarizona wrote
Yeah, but then I'm renting 2 different cars, with associated hassle. Seems like a pain?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
marznc wrote
raisingarizona wrote
Yeah, but then I'm renting 2 different cars, with associated hassle. Seems like a pain?
Agree MC.
For the coffee money you'll save just get the AWD and be done with it. You're on vacation for F sake
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Bring your starter jacket :D

Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
MC2 5678F589 wrote
marznc wrote
raisingarizona wrote
A pain for sure.  All depends on what your priority is between saving a few bucks and simplicity.  The SkiSE guys I mentioned would not rent a car because for them money was more important.  I stay at Alta Lodge because for me it's worth the money.  Different strokes for different folks.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
MC2 5678F589 wrote
marznc wrote
raisingarizona wrote
I’m not suggesting you rent two cars. That’s just silly!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
raisingarizona wrote
I’m not suggesting you rent two cars. That’s just silly!
Right. It looked like marznc was suggesting that.

But she is right in that, if I really wanted to save money in the SLC portion, I could do the bus thing. How much of a hassle is that, though?

I think renting a car is winning here. Now I just need to find an okay hotel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
You can't put a price on peace of mind. Rent your own vehicle and you'll have the freedom to do what you want when you want. You can always get a cab or whatever if you plan on having a night out somewhere.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Johnnyonthespot wrote
You can't put a price on peace of mind. Rent your own vehicle and you'll have the freedom to do what you want when you want. You can always get a cab or whatever if you plan on having a night out somewhere.
Yeah, I'm think the nights out will happen more in the Jackson Hole part of the trip anyway. Unless tbatt wants to get rowdy outside of the canyon (which seems unlikely - I'll probably just end up buying him beers at the Peruvian until he stumbles back to his employee housing).
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Bring your starter jacket :D
Those things could double as wing suits.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Haha!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Yup. Utah trips are all about apres at the P-Dawg lounge and that’s about it anyways, unless your in Park Shitty.

Bring your avie gear. It sounds like Jackson has an upside down slide pack this year and if you are skiing with locals some of, if not a lot of your day will be past the ropes.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
raisingarizona wrote
Bring your avie gear. It sounds like Jackson has an upside down slide pack this year and if you are skiing with locals some of, if not a lot of your day will be past the ropes.
Planning on it!
Reply | Threaded
|

Southern Tier
theres great bc out of alta too.  head towrds brighton/solitude. up and over.  cardiac, 2 dog, etc.