Utah Ski Trip Question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
54 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Utah Ski Trip Question

MC2 5678F589
Me and my wife are doing an SLC/Jackson Hole Trip in February. The Jackson Hole part is sorted, and I don't have a ton of money left for the SLC portion, so I want to do it on the cheap ("cheap" meaning - as economical as possible without upsetting my wife by putting us in a terrible shithole).

Does anyone have any hotel preferences or inside tips in the Sandy/Cottonwood Heights areas? Any places that are on the bus route? Has anyone used the bus before? Does this plan work?
Best Cheapskate Utah Trip Strategy:
This poll is closed.   
This poll ended on .
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Utah Ski Trip Question

Hoser
Stayed at the Marriott residence inn sandy a few times.   Recommend that or other Choice hotel brands such as quality or comfort or sleep inns all close but half price of in the canyon
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
I don’t have any useful advice but I’m sending good vibes that your trip goes well. Have fun.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I have never tried the "get a hotel on the bus route" but I have taken the bus up there on chains only days. Round trip on the bus is ~$10/head so your are getting close to rental car daily rates.

When I stay in town my MO is to stay at the Residence inn at 270 10000S Sandy as there is a big Target with grocery store within walking distance as well as a few restaurants (none great). The rooms have a kitchen and there is a laundry there. It's clean and quiet. I would think that they would shuttle you to the Historic Sandy Station to catch the bus up as it is only about 1 mile away.  Just down the street on 9400 is a liquor store and I recall a ski shop. I think The Sandy station is the end of the line for the ski bus but I have always driven up to the LCC park & ride just below the gate. IMHO a car is best if you are in town, that way you can go to the Red Iguana for dinner, but I guess Uber works pretty well these days.

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
any name brand hotel is good..and always rent a car...hate waiting on someone else for a ride...that's like being 15 again..

I like the Red Iguana too, except for  the stinking line
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Yup. Stay at one of the standard chain places near the base of the canyons. They’re plenty nice and not too expensive.

Do you know any locals at Snowbird or Jackson? If you do pay them with beers to tour you around. Both areas are so much better when you can put your head down and follow a local ripper that’s up on current conditions and sweet lines.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Brownski
We rented a car from a nearby hotel, on West Temple, I think; took a taxi from the airport to get there.  That's how much was cheaper it was than renting a car from the airport.

A car is really handy 'cause there's nowhere to boot up and no locker space to speak of.

We stayed at the Hyatt Place, probably about 3 years old now.  A short drive to the hills and quite reasonable.  Most of our meals, and all of our lunches, were purchased at the Smith's (grocery store) down the road.

I did a T.R. about 1.5 years ago.....
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
I've skied SLC so many times (my dads best friend lives in Park City)...always rented a car, used the bus a few times on 4x4/chain days on trips that we couldn't get a deal on a 4x4 rental...but we would always drive the car as far as we could go and get to a bus station as close to the mouth of the canyon as possible, which was generally right up near that gas station at the base of Big Cottonwood.  If it dumps, and you're caught up in Park City down Rt 80 to go back towards the city or to the Bird or Alta in the morning...def want 4x4 if they didn't plow yet.  We experienced that one in a Pontiac Vibe 2WD heading to Alta for a 3' dump.  We survived but it was hairy.

Also, last time we were in this scenario we had some SLC Superpasses (or whatever they are calling them now) that we scored as part of a hotel stay in Sandy area (alot of hotels offer these, probably still do).  Superpass included "free" bus ride round trip.

Also also, if you want to get out of the city and go up to Park City for night time stuff, car is helpful of course.  Fun to walk around if you've never been.  Fairly touristy but a cool town.  No Name Saloon on main street cool place to get some drinks.  Again, pretty touristy, but still fun if you're into drinking beers.  Wasatch brewing at top of main street too.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
We've been to Park City & don't have a huge desire to go back there. My plan was to ski Alta/Snowbird on days where LCC had easy access & Brighton/Solitude on the other days.

Yes, I guess it's $4.50/ride on the bus per person, so for both of us, I guess that's $18 a day. Not sure I could rent an SUV for cheaper than that (pretty sure I can't). But I am renting an SUV for the Jackson Hole part of the trip, so maybe I can get a weekly rate or something. Or drop down to 2WD to save money, but that might be iffy.

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Do you know any locals at Snowbird or Jackson? If you do pay them with beers to tour you around. Both areas are so much better when you can put your head down and follow a local ripper that’s up on current conditions and sweet lines.
I know a few people. Hopefully, they're available.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
MC2 5678F589 wrote
We've been to Park City & don't have a huge desire to go back there. My plan was to ski Alta/Snowbird on days where LCC had easy access & Brighton/Solitude on the other days.

Yes, I guess it's $4.50/ride on the bus per person, so for both of us, I guess that's $18 a day. Not sure I could rent an SUV for cheaper than that (pretty sure I can't). But I am renting an SUV for the Jackson Hole part of the trip, so maybe I can get a weekly rate or something. Or drop down to 2WD to save money, but that might be iffy.
I would always get a mid sized sedan with a drop down back seat so skis fit in. 9 times out of 10 it's perfectly adequate for going up the LCC road. Remember that because snow is so dry their it does not stay on the road long. That 1 day is when I ride the bus. Of course, if you are hitting it when it's dumping you want to be in one of the lodges because they will close the road entirely  to all traffic until they blast/dig it out. I have not stayed in town in about 8 years - I'm always at GMD now and take the Alta Shuttle
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
We've stayed at Crystal Inn at Mid Valley a few times, reasonable, clean and free breakfast. Did not take the shuttle but plenty of folks do from there. I'd say its comparable to the 49'er in JH
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
I'm always at GMD now and take the Alta Shuttle
Yeah, I was thinking of staying at the Peruvian, like I have done before, but I must have waited too long because they are sold out for a couple of the days. GMD & Alta Lodge sold out, too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Southern Tier
i always ski at snowbird and stay the cliff. way better than alta which is dirty.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Can I go too?
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

midwestblues
The Hyatt Place is a great option.  Includes a kitchen so you can save some money on meals.  When we go to Snowbird, I always try to book a hotel in Sandy that I can cancel a couple of days prior at no cost. Then I check out the vacation rentals section of craigslist and see if any of places on mountain are still un-rented.  You can usually get a really good deal that way.  I always go for a week so that may be harder for only a couple of days but worth a shot.  The Iron Blosam is usually the cheapest.  Ski in ski out is worth a few extra $ to me any day.  Have a great time. Heading out with my family March 2 - 9th and can't wait.  

Other option you should consider.  Last year we did a couple days at Jackson Hole and then a couple of days at Grand Targhee.  Only about an hour drive from Jackson to Targhee.  Loved Targhee - great snow, no crowds .. parking a couple of hundred feet from the lift.  Just an idea.  We loved it
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
MC2 5678F589 wrote
PeeTex wrote
I'm always at GMD now and take the Alta Shuttle
Yeah, I was thinking of staying at the Peruvian, like I have done before, but I must have waited too long because they are sold out for a couple of the days. GMD & Alta Lodge sold out, too.
Try the snow pine, they just rebuilt the place.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by midwestblues
Hmmmm... I like that strategy (booking, then still searching, with the option to cancel) Weekly rate idea is good, too (I can do a Tuesday to Tuesday).

I've been to Targhee. It was okay, but it was no Jackson. Plus, this is an IKON Pass trip, and I don't have tickets to Targhee. But I guess I know a certain Australian who might be able to hook me up. Targhee is in the "maybe" range for this trip.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Can I go too?
Don't you have bidets to install?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Hmmmm... I like that strategy (booking, then still searching, with the option to cancel) Weekly rate idea is good, too (I can do a Tuesday to Tuesday).

I've been to Targhee. It was okay, but it was no Jackson. Plus, this is an IKON Pass trip, and I don't have tickets to Targhee. But I guess I know a certain Australian who might be able too hook me up. Targhee is in the "maybe" range for this trip.
I have booked nights at places like the Zion, Grand Canyon, Yellow Stone a few weeks in advance where they say you won't get a room unless you book a year in advance, people are always cancelling so you just keep calling.