classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
54 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Utah Ski Trip Question

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
  I'll probably just end up buying him beers at the Peruvian until he stumbles back to his employee housing).

Peruvian is #2 on the list

I got kicked out of #18
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Are you sure this is the trip you want to commit to Matt?

Local meteorologists here are saying there is a significant pattern change on the horizon pointing towards classic ElNino conditions. It might be the season to go to Telluride and Silverton. It's still too early to tell but something to think about.
Reply | Threaded
|

Southern Tier
the best skiing in colorado is in utah
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Are you sure this is the trip you want to commit to Matt?

Local meteorologists here are saying there is a significant pattern change on the horizon pointing towards classic ElNino conditions. It might be the season to go to Telluride and Silverton. It's still too early to tell but something to think about.
Yeah, I already booked the flight (I'm a "find a cheap flight early" guy, not a "pay a premium to follow the snow" guy), & me and my brother are really looking forward to JH.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Southern Tier
Southern Tier wrote
theres great bc out of alta too.  head towrds brighton/solitude. up and over.  cardiac, 2 dog, etc.
The back side of Patsy Marley and Grizzly Gulch but I am sure MC will hook up with tbatt and get into that. My grand daughter and I skied back there on some great terrain several years ago. I am getting her back this season as she has a break from grad school. We may get a guide this time as we won't be in corn season and avi danger will be higher. Her Mom and my boss would kill me if she got hurt, I am expendable.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Whatever you do, DO NOT book a room at the Park Inn by Radisson at Midvale. Do not be tempted by the quasi corporate name and low price. It comes up early on Booking.com in the low price listings. Avert your eyes and move on. Awful experience that culminated in a Jacuzzi that was being installed at ten pm in the room above me leaking through my ceiling onto my bed, and then my getting kicked out of the place when I dared to go double postal over it all. Oh, and, it was snowing outside and the next day was going to be a powder fest at Brighton. I made it, though, with minimal sleep.

Some people should not be in the hospitality business.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Benny Profane wrote
Whatever you do, DO NOT book a room at the Park Inn by Radisson at Midvale. Do not be tempted by the quasi corporate name and low price. It comes up early on Booking.com in the low price listings. Avert your eyes and move on. Awful experience that culminated in a Jacuzzi that was being installed at ten pm in the room above me leaking through my ceiling onto my bed, and then my getting kicked out of the place when I dared to go double postal over it all. Oh, and, it was snowing outside and the next day was going to be a powder fest at Brighton. I made it, though, with minimal sleep.

Some people should not be in the hospitality business.
This sounds like a good story. I want more. Was there a TR?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Bosco DaSkia
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Ahh, the trials and tribulations that come with being a Mogul Meister.... life is hard, yet one must push on.

For the powder....
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Brownski
Let's just say the cops quietly sympathized with me as I rolled out at 11 pm, wondering, ok, what now.

This may sound very racist, but, after a few bad experiences, I will never pay for a room in a hotel or motel or whatever that is owned by a South Asian. And I've done a ton of driving around the country the past few years. This guy was particularly slimey.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Have you considered an AirBNB?  I use it all of the time for business and ski trips and often its cheaper than a hotel.  Plus it's a much more comfortable way to travel.  Try the Sugar House district of SLC.  Can hop on 80 within minutes and be at any of the resorts within 30 minutes.  SLC has tons of units available so the prices are kept down due to competition.

If the snow isn't that great then don't discount Deer Valley as they take slope quality seriously.  Despite its "playground of the rich" reputation DV is a real mountain and has more than enough advanced terrain to burn your legs up.

Are you flying into/out of SLC or JH?

In any event just rent a 4wd - you can get them cheaply outside of the airport.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
onscott wrote

I have been to Deer Valley before. It's fine, but I'm staying out of Park City this trip.

Flying into & out of SLC.

My problem with renting a car from an off airport place is that my flight leaves at 6:40 a.m. and I'm not sure I want to be dealing with logistics of getting to the airport from some off-site location at 5:30 a.m.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
MC2 5678F589 wrote
onscott wrote

I have been to Deer Valley before. It's fine, but I'm staying out of Park City this trip.

Flying into & out of SLC.

My problem with renting a car from an off airport place is that my flight leaves at 6:40 a.m. and I'm not sure I want to be dealing with logistics of getting to the airport from some off-site location at 5:30 a.m.
What I do in that case (and it is most of the time) is to return the car the night before and stay in a hotel by the airport and then take the hotel shuttle to the airport in the AM. The airport hotels are cheap and nice and there are a lot to choose from.

The way this works is I drive to the hotel, check in and drop my stuff, return the car and at that point I get the hotel shuttle to pick me up at the rental place and take me back to the hotel.

No fuss - no muss.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Yeah, I was definitely thinking of doing that. If I'm paying $40 a day for an SUV, I might as well save 1 rental day and stay at a hotel by the airport to make things easier.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Yeah, I was definitely thinking of doing that. If I'm paying $40 a day for an SUV, I might as well save 1 rental day and stay at a hotel by the airport to make things easier.
As well as one night in what is usually a more expensive room.
When I stay at GMD I  usually arrive after dinner so I get them to let me use that dinner on my last day to ski. I will check out that morning, ski all day, have dinner there and then take the shuttle to an airport hotel and fly out the next AM.