53 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Vail and Stowe

Benny Profane
marznc wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Looking ore clean cheap lodging close to Stowe, if you know of some. Maybe a little further south since I'll have a few Bush tickets, too.
I stayed with Lyndall and her husband using AirBnB a few years ago.  It's the most unusual small home you can possibility imagine.  Very rustic but with modern stuff like a heated floor.  Highly recommend taking a look.  She's a native of Stowe.  He runs the Stowe Nordic Center.  Only tricky part for me was getting up the hill in a minivan with no snow tires.  Needed quite a running start.  Really close to Stowe, meaning north of town.  Can walk down the hill to the Matterhorn.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/578250

"Meticulously restored 200 year old farmhouse with the look and feel of a true old New England home surrounded by gardens. Our main rental room is upstairs with its own 1/2 bath, but we do rent this single room on the first floor with an excellent single bed with a memory foam topper. Room is tucked away next to the living room and shared bath . High speed wireless internet throughout the house as well as very good cell service. The walk in shower and claw foot tub are in the bathroom adjacent to your room The house is situated on 13 acres very close to the Stowe Mtn. Resort ski area - we actually are adjoining landowners and our property borders on 1,000's of acres of state land with waterfalls,mountain bike, hiking and XC skiing trails out the back door. We have a simple lifestyle with cats, chickens, and extensive gardens - both vegetable and flower - your hostess is a master gardener with the state of Vermont. "

Nice place and price, but, nothing available all winter.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Benny Profane wrote
marznc wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Looking ore clean cheap lodging close to Stowe, if you know of some. Maybe a little further south since I'll have a few Bush tickets, too.
I stayed with Lyndall and her husband using AirBnB a few years ago.  It's the most unusual small home you can possibility imagine.  Very rustic but with modern stuff like a heated floor.  Highly recommend taking a look.  She's a native of Stowe.  He runs the Stowe Nordic Center.  Only tricky part for me was getting up the hill in a minivan with no snow tires.  Needed quite a running start.  Really close to Stowe, meaning north of town.  Can walk down the hill to the Matterhorn.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/578250

Nice place and price, but, nothing available all winter.
You might check back closer to ski season.  They may not have decided when they would like to rent that room.  Or can send a message via AirBnB and ask.  I have a friend who does AirBnB all the time.  She found a deal for a studio condo for Taos back in June.  No dates for the coming winter were available.  But the owner was happy to set her up for the MLK week after she checked with him.  Turned out he is a professor who lives in Albuquerque who uses the condo himself some weekends.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The man sticks it to a guy for 4 weeks for ducking...
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Yeah, signs all over warning about that. And, coincidentally,  lots of trails closed that were skiable when I was last there before Xmas. Somebody better stop being a hard ass, or other Vermont mountains may get the business.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
I heard that Stowe fired a guy because he had the epicmix app on his phone, which showed him skiing a closed trail.

All the employees who ski trees & OB deleted the app. Don't want big brother following you.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
All the more reason to go to Smuggs
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
campgottagopee wrote

Problem is, Smuggs is another hour.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Benny Profane wrote
campgottagopee wrote

Problem is, Smuggs is another hour.
Guess it depends where you're coming from
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
... lots of trails closed that were skiable when I was last there...
This makes it a lot worse. They shouldn’t be dicks about it anyway but if they’re not being thorough and aggressive about getting trails open and they’re still busting balls, that would anger me a little
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
I was pretty vocal about criticizing Killington recently, and I'm not taking much back, but, I tell ya, they get that mountain open and then don't pull this crap.
funny like a clown
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I heard that Stowe fired a guy because he had the epicmix app on his phone, which showed him skiing a closed trail.

All the employees who ski trees & OB deleted the app. Don't want big brother following you.
That totally sucks!
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Talk about Orwellian.  I wonder if it's in the contract; software or employee.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

2000yearoldskier
Seems like an appropriate response from Vail Corp. What a jerk.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I feel no empathy for him.  I hope he never steps foot on Magic soil.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by 2000yearoldskier
I’m sure there is more to the story than he’s really sharing but it does seem a bit extreme and it’s sort of like the skiing version of the new world order.

I’m not a big fan of assimilating to the corporate model.

In fact, if you wanna see me have a panic attack just put me in a suit and tie, standing around a water cooler with Joeys pushing fake laughs and bragging about their weekend warrior conquests. That’s a social anxiety night mare for me!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
There is always two sides to every story. I just can't imagine a lifetime ban without it being warranted, I mean, the dude must be a real prick.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
A ski patroller last week told me that the new policy of enforcing no closed trails at Stowe is for real, (one month suspension) and that includes all Vail resorts, which got Benny's attention. Btw, out of 8 days there so far, three were highly restricted by wind holds and slowdowns, so, I feel a little for this guy, but, he certainly sounds like an asshole. He wouldn't get lifetime if there wasn't a history.

I'm not enthralled by Stowe so far, I must admit.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I like this quote, because it demonstrates the difference in culture - Vail Resorts claims that they banned a guy from all 18 Vail Resorts for uttering some bad words about a lift, but up at Jay:
"I can't fathom what Mr. Dionne might have done," said JJ Toland, director of communications at Jay Peak Resort.

Staff there can't recall telling anyone that they were "such a king shit that we never want to see your face on this hill again," Toland continued. "That has never happened."
Everyone complaining about ORDA had better scrub their posts if Vail ever takes over Gore & WF.

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
I'm not enthralled by Stowe so far, I must admit.
You sticking to the map?