WROD 12/25/11 Greek Peak

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

WROD 12/25/11 Greek Peak

Powderqueen
Skied the WROD at Greek Peak yesterday. Hardly anyone there. Thankfully Brenda showed up and we passed the 12 minute lift ride by with lively conversation. The 3 minute ski down was unexciting. Conditions were firm and fast.

2 ways down...Eleysian Fields/Stoic and you can go over to chair 3 and get up to chair 4 and ski Trojan.

We did a bunch of laps off chair 1a  on Fields and then went over to chair 4 for a couple of laps.

Nothing great...just fast skiing. Pretty boring.

This weather has got to improve.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: WROD 12/25/11 Greek Peak

Jamesdeluxe
We drove up to CNY yesterday and the two open trails were visible from 81. Looked sad.

Did you redirect over to the water park?
Reply | Threaded
|

snowmonkey
It was a little better today.  Still not very crowded, and the snow was much softer.  Still infinitely better than mountain biking through Mud-dagin.  
Reply | Threaded
|

70s Gore Kid
http://highcountrywebcams.com/webcameras_cataloochee_liftcam.htm

Hello fellow HR'ers from here in the balmy Mid Atlantic!  At least at Greek Peak, the weather is relatively winter-like. Check out the live cam I have posted above, if its not too foggy.

The question every day this holiday season is not how deep the powder will be, but rather if it will be 45 degrees or 65 degrees outdoors, because you don't want to overdress.

Also, someone needs to invent an umbrella that mounts on your helmet, and windshield wipers for goggles.  And ski parkas need to be made of vinyl, not nylon...it simply does not keep the wet out.

When skiing the BROD  (That's Brown Ribbon for the uninitiated), you must keep in the center of the trails, as the usable skiing surface can be as narrow as a catwalk trail at MRG.  By the way, the grass on the side of the trails is still green.  Yes, green, as in springtime.

Other thank that, Kid is having a great holiday week.  Happy New Year and Think Snow!

Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded
|

70s Gore Kid
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
Here's to hoping mother nature is saving it all for February and March..
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Hi PDQ, I too was at Greek Christmas Day. My sister and her husband usually come home Christmas Eve. This year they wanted to spend Christmas Eve in NYC and travel to Binghamton on Christmas Day. We decided to wait until their arrival to exchange gifts. This left me free to hit Greek at opening. I was bored to tears, got to get a new mp3 player. I made four runs on Fields, hit the Taverna for a cup of the newly cheap coffee, one dollar, thanks for dumping Boston Concessions, good move. Noticed they now have a gas fire, I prefer the real thing, but seeing they were reluctant to start a fire even on the coldest days, I guess it's a good thing. I headed back out intending to ski a few more runs and head home. I ran into Walt, don't know if you know him. He's the guy with the bicycle horn attached to his ski pole, he honks it at people he knows. He's an avid member of the Triple Cities Ski Club. Anyway, it made a world of difference to have someone to talk to on the chair, ended up skiing with Walt till noon.

Did you notice the large number of people of the Asian persuasion? Reminded me of "The Christmas Story". I guess if you don't celebrate the day, great time to hit the slopes while the masses are unwrapping their presents Christmas morning. Too bad there wasn't more to offer on the hill, soon, I hope.

Fields, Opening Day, Dec 16th 2011

Fields, Dec 9th 2010
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I skied GP 12/24-12/27 w/ monday the 26th being the best conditions, IMO. For sure it was fast, very fast, I kinda like that skiing so I was cool with wat we had. Guess I'm a glass half full kinda guy b/c for the weather we've been having it just felt good to get out and ski....it's snowng right NOW and they're calling for snow evey day this week so this weekend should be wayyyyyyyy better!!!

PDQ, think I saw you...if you see a guy skiing in camo pants give a shout, "Camp"
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead

campgottagopee wrote
PDQ, think I saw you...if you see a guy skiing in camo pants give a shout, "Camp"
You don't have a long white beard, do you? I know someone with camo pants who does. If your not him, I'm sure you've seen him, he's there all the time.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee

Cornhead wrote
campgottagopee wrote
You don't have a long white beard, do you? I know someone with camo pants who does. If your not him, I'm sure you've seen him, he's there all the time.
Nope, not me...that's John (we camo pant wearin guys stick together ). He's there EVERY DAY and is a real good dude...I see him every time I'm there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Yes, John is definitely a fixture at Greek, and he is a great guy. I see him almost every time I'm there. I talked to him on opening day, he's been slowed a little by back surgery in the off season. I didn't think that was you, not too many camo pants out there however. I'll have to keep an eye out for you.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Cornhead wrote
Yes, John is definitely a fixture at Greek, and he is a great guy. I see him almost every time I'm there. I talked to him on opening day, he's been slowed a little by back surgery in the off season. I didn't think that was you, not too many camo pants out there however. I'll have to keep an eye out for you.
Yup, even back surgery doesn't stop him....yes, please give a shout. Anyone named Cornhead I need to meet!!

Are you local???
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Yes, I live in Conklin. I met someone at Jay last spring from the AlpineZone forums. He thought the handle came from my love of corn snow. It's true I do love corn snow, but that's not where it came from. I was dating a girl in the eighties. She had a son who was three years old at the time. I was bringing him home from the sitter's. He was in a car seat in the middle of the back seat. He was wearing a hooded jacket with the hood on. I looked in the mirror and told him he looked like a conehead. He got pissed and said, " I'm not a cornhead, you're a cornhead!". He called me cornhead ever after. He was cute as hell. When I would come home he would say, "Hi Bob" hesitate just the right amount of time, then add,"Cornhead". I was tending bar at the time, we lived upstairs, the regulars got to know him as Kenny Cornhead. One day some girls I used to work with had taught him to say, "spare me". His mother brought him into the bar while I was working. A regular looked over his shoulder from the bar and said, "Hi Cornhead" to which the boy replied, "Spare me Cornhead". It was priceless, I asked the customer how it felt to be cut down by a three year old.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Conklin...great golf course!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Yes, it is, I used to golf, screwed with my head too much. I played Conklin when it first opened. They used to let you walk it. The change in elevation on the back nine is significant. We had some old guys laughing at us when we came up the hill, "You guys are walking this course, ha, ha,ha." I asked if any of them were retired cardiologist, maybe the should stick around a bit. I can remember having to rest before we could tee off on whatever tee is at the top of the hill, nice view from up there.

Have you ever golfed Chenango Valley State Park? It was my favorite.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
For sure, golf will make you crazy!!

Yup, CV is a very nice course too.

I've played just about all the courses in our area...I have major issues...haha
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
hey it might feel like golf season but let' keep this on topic eh  for the last two days what little snow is there has been skiing great, fast and crisp in the morning, softening up as the day goes on. she's a fading fast though, monday/tuesday's temps and snow can't come fast enough

have a happy new year all - may 2012 bring some winter temps and snow!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
Hey Camp,

Were you wearing winter camo? with a camo hat?

If so, I did see you at the top of Fields that day.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Powderqueen wrote
Hey Camp,

Were you wearing winter camo? with a camo hat?

If so, I did see you at the top of Fields that day.
Nope, just camo pants....black hemlet, bright blue lange boots....we're there every sunday and tuesday...I'll keep and eye out for chick rippers
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
 - may 2012 bring some winter temps and snow!!!!

IT DID!!!!!!!!!