Waffles

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
47 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Waffles

evergreen
Can I once again please ask for a waffle cabin at Gore?  Why is this so hard to do? I can report that they exist at Stowe? Sugarbush, Kmart and my kids are being denied this sugary delight at their home mountain. Centerplate is leaving serious money on the table. Oh and the foot of fresh upslope pow was very sweet up in VT as well last week.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Waffles

poindexter
My kids have already chosen the spot - on the left side of Sunway before Otter slide. This has been a big topic of conversation in my family for a few years now.  Our first time skiing as a family was at Okemo, and the waffles were the most memorable part.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by evergreen
They sell waffles all day in the base lodge.

Pick your toppings - Powdered sugar, fruit compote, chocolate chips/peanut butter, whipped cream, etc.  Big, too. Better than the small little things you get at those Waffle Hauses (if not more convenient).
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by poindexter
poindexter wrote
Our first time skiing as a family was at Okemo, and the waffles were the most memorable part.
Not sure if that is saying something about the waffles or about Okemo or both?

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
poindexter wrote
Our first time skiing as a family was at Okemo, and the waffles were the most memorable part.
LOL
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
They sell waffles all day in the base lodge.

Pick your toppings - Powdered sugar, fruit compote, chocolate chips/peanut butter, whipped cream, etc.  Big, too. Better than the small little things you get at those Waffle Hauses (if not more convenient).
My daughter gets them in the lodge from time to time. She likes them.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Could be they sell waffles in the lodge, but our 4 pairs of eyeballs over the last 3 years (60 visits) haven't seen them yet.  Can't recall seeing anyone walking around with them either.  Stark contrast to Sugarbush last Thursday, line of about 50 people at 4 PM waiting at the Waffle shack at the base.  Is this not an example of private enterprise being more effective than government?  I bet a Waffle shack would gross thousands a day for Gore, but I guess a shack that duplicates the cafeteria line and closes at 2 PM on a sunny warm March day is "good enough for government work" (as are the surly and unwelcoming parking dudes).
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Man, the smell alone sometimes is so nice. Benny prefers beer, though.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
evergreen wrote
Could be they sell waffles in the lodge, but our 4 pairs of eyeballs over the last 3 years (60 visits) haven't seen them yet.  Can't recall seeing anyone walking around with them either.  Stark contrast to Sugarbush last Thursday, line of about 50 people at 4 PM waiting at the Waffle shack at the base.  Is this not an example of private enterprise being more effective than government?  I bet a Waffle shack would gross thousands a day for Gore, but I guess a shack that duplicates the cafeteria line and closes at 2 PM on a sunny warm March day is "good enough for government work" (as are the surly and unwelcoming parking dudes).
What a weird way to segue into an antigovernment rant. Centerplate is a private company.

And just because you haven't seen something, it doesn't mean it ceases to exist. You want waffles? They have waffles. Why isn't that enough for you?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
I think Evergreen is waffling a bit here.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Centerplate is private company with Gore's concession contract. They've got a few years left on it,
and I see them being able to keep renewing it. They also have Whiteface, Smuggs, Sugarloaf, Saratoga flat track.

They have shown that they are not afraid to put money into Gore for what they think is a good idea.
I believe they paid for the Open Pit Grill and the lodge improvements.

On this forum, you'll get discussion, maybe even spirited. You'll get nothing from Gore.

Seriously, if you've got a good idea, communicate directly with Centerplate.
They might surprise you. They might agree with you. And we will all thank you for your effort.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The Gore and Whiteface Centerplate contracts are a package deal. It just got extended for several years and both hills got big improvements out of the deal.  I think the J Lohr Cafe is all new at Whiteface, and Gore got a new bar and other stuff.

Spongeworthy wrote
Seriously, if you've got a good idea, communicate directly with Centerplate.
They might surprise you. They might agree with you. And we will all thank you for your effort.
My communication wasn't 100% direct, but I asked about having food ready to go before the Gondi goes green... and it happened.

I was pumped.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
Spongeworthy wrote
Centerplate is private company with Gore's concession contract. They've got a few years left on it, and I see them being able to keep renewing it. They also have Whiteface, Smuggs, Sugarloaf, Saratoga flat track.
I didn't realize that Smuggs contracts out their food. It is one of the few things about the area I find lacking, at least at the Madonna Lodge, never ate anywhere else at Smuggs and I know they do a strong resort business at the main resort property. Granted, they don't have much to work with in the lodge at Madonna but they don't do anything with what they have either.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
evergreen wrote
 as are the surly and unwelcoming parking dudes.
Not trying to hyjack this - but what did the parking attendents do that deserves disdain?
I find thier help backing out of the loading/unloading area quite nice - if you pay attention they let you know when people are walking behind your car and prevent traffic from slamming into you while you are backing out.

Nobody likes to be "told" where to park, what I find is that these guys suggest where and help to fill the lot in a regular way to get the max cars in. Wave and smile to these guys standing out in the cold, say "thanks - have a nice day", they deserve it - it's a thankless job.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by poindexter
Maybe they could build a Waffle House on the other side of the deck to block the rest of the windows like they did when they built the other eyesore.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
It's the parking guys you first meet that are unfriendly. They wave everybody into a lot without any obvious choice to go to drop off or premium lot. So as a result everyone has to stop and have a discussion and it slows down the whole access road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
evergreen wrote
It's the parking guys you first meet that are unfriendly. They wave everybody into a lot without any obvious choice to go to drop off or premium lot. So as a result everyone has to stop and have a discussion and it slows down the whole access road.

Sometimes I think people are just looking for things to complain about and when they can't find any they just start making shit up.

Those attendants are out there very early, in the cold for very little pay, making sure that the parking lots get filled to maximum capacity and still allow for cars to leave or otherwise maneuver.  If they didn't, you'd be bitching about that.  I'm sorry you had to tap your breaks to accomodate them; next time leave your house 40 seconds earlier.  

And just how "friendly" do you need them to be anyway?  You're the one going to have a day filled with fun (if you don't get too pissed because the lifty didn't smile at you); they're the ones making minimum wage standing in a parking lot in cold boots.  Grow up.

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Yes lets have a subpar customer service experience and settle for lowering the bar.  Why not close half the mountain during the week and the crossover at 3:30, and keep the old lifts a few more years.  Keep your ambitions low and let the $ flow to VT.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
Sometimes I think people are just looking for things to complain about and when they can't find any they just start making shit up.

Those attendants are out there very early, in the cold for very little pay, making sure that the parking lots get filled to maximum capacity and still allow for cars to leave or otherwise maneuver.  If they didn't, you'd be bitching about that.  I'm sorry you had to tap your breaks to accomodate them; next time leave your house 40 seconds earlier.  

And just how "friendly" do you need them to be anyway?  You're the one going to have a day filled with fun (if you don't get too pissed because the lifty didn't smile at you); they're the ones making minimum wage standing in a parking lot in cold boots.  Grow up.
Hill-larry!  I call them old coonhounds and get mad because they wont let me into a full lot, but I am just kidding.

Also, fyi they have been talking for a few years about putting in some waffle houses around mountain with lincoln logs and also a cedar barrel maker.  I {believe} or i {think} or I {am pretty sure} its just not a huge priority but one that you will see in the future at some point.