Warren Miller's Wintervention - Saratoga 11/6

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Warren Miller's Wintervention - Saratoga 11/6

tBatt
The Saratoga Springs High School race team is selling tickets to Warren Miller's "Wintervention". It's playing at Maple Ave Middle School in Saratoga on November 6th at 7pm. Tickets are just $10. Alpine Sport Shop is giving away a bunch of free stuff!

E-mail me if you're interesting in going/purchasing tickets.
tbattesh@hotmail.com

Snowballs? Matt and Candace? I know you wanna! It's for a good cause!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Warren Miller's Wintervention - Saratoga 11/6

Snowballs
Banned User
Huh. We got a group together going to see it at the Wood in Glens Falls. Dinner and a movie thing. I'll see if they'll reschedule to Toga. Last year we made out pretty good with the freebies. Now they all wanna go back.

The " it " spot for dinner in the area is Bistro Tallulah downtown Glens Falls. Their duck salad is something to really quack about.

They got a cool way of serving the food. Small plate or large plate. The small plate is sufficiently filling, but it's fun to order two different small plates and sample or share.

Sara, if you haven't been there yet, you should go.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by tBatt
If you can't make it to Saratoga Springs, its playing in Huntsville, Ontario on Nov. 5. I know it's a bit of drive for the Harvey Roaders but you'll get to see me on stage introducing the movie and we give away lots of good swag also.

For everyone's benefit, here's the official description:

Do you have a skiing or snowboarding problem? Do you always take "just one more" run? If you answered “yes” to either of these, it may be time for a Wintervention. Narrated by skiing icon Jonny Moseley, Warren Miller’s Wintervention is the definitive solution for the snow-obsessed. Wintervention takes riders like Chris Davenport, Jonny Moseley and Lindsey Vonn on a global tour of Alaska, Norway, Canada, Antarctica and beyond, delivering a successful Wintervention for all of us in need. Warren Miller films attract a cult-like following and mark the official start of winter for sports enthusiasts everywhere. Warren Miller premieres are an experience, a party and a phenomenon not to be missed.

Personally, I think Harvey needs a Wintervention.

To complete the movie stoke, here's the trailer:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hey Fuje... how much of the ten bucks does the race team get and how much goes to Warren?

Sick Bird Rider wrote
I know it's a bit of drive for the Harvey Roaders ...
Roaders, and I count you as one, hale (hail?) from all over the North America. We consider hinterlanders a crucial part of the organization.

Sick Bird Rider wrote
Personally, I think Harvey needs a Wintervention.
No doubt this is what the doc ordered today. GREAT trailer IMO. Thanks for the lift.

Maybe Blue Toes can tape the intro and post it.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey44 wrote
Maybe Blue Toes can tape the intro and post it.
Well, we'll see but I don't know if that could top the experience of last year's show.

It's too bad that the real, 86 year old, Warren Miller has nothing to do with the current Warren Miller films, produced by Warren Miller Entertainment, owned by Bonnier Corporation. It's been tied up in litagation for a long time, very sad story. The good news is the that WME is still putting out some pretty decent movies and Warren himself is still rockin' the ski world at 86. Imagine having to litigate to get the legal right to use your own name!

Guess who has over 45,000 "likes" on FaceBook: Warren Miller, the skier, film-maker and philanthropist. Ski movies would not be where they are today without Warren Miller. Personal memory: way back in the day, maybe around 1971 or so, my older brother took me to see a WM movie at Place des Arts in Montreal. I don't remember the title but Warren himself was there, standing beside the 16mm projector, narrating the film. That is hard core entrepreunership. At intermission, my big brother stood in line to get me an autographed postcard from Nancy Greene, Canada's ski sweetheart, which I still have.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Duuude! Space Truckin' is GONE!

Sick Bird Rider wrote
It's too bad that the real, 86 year old, Warren Miller has nothing to do with the current Warren Miller films, produced by Warren Miller Entertainment, owned by Bonnier Corporation.
The artist formerly known as Warren Miller? Don't they still use his voice?

Sick Bird Rider wrote

At intermission, my big brother stood in line to get me an autographed postcard from Nancy Greene, Canada's ski sweetheart, which I still have.
NOTE TO WEBMASTER > EMOTION NEEDED: "This thread is useless without pics!"

Scan and post!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey44 wrote
Scan and post!
Uuuh, that is easier said than done. Postcard is buried in the archives, don't have a scanner. You'll just have to take my word on this one.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Harvey44 wrote
 Hey Fuje... how much of the ten bucks does the race team get and how much goes to Warren?
I'm not entirely sure, but I'm guessing it's probably something like $8 to the ski team, $1 to Alpine Shop, and $1 to WME

Sick Bird Rider wrote
It's too bad that the real, 86 year old, Warren Miller has nothing to do with the current Warren Miller films, produced by Warren Miller Entertainment, owned by Bonnier Corporation. It's been tied up in litagation for a long time, very sad story. The good news is the that WME is still putting out some pretty decent movies and Warren himself is still rockin' the ski world at 86. Imagine having to litigate to get the legal right to use your own name!
It really is messed up. The Guys down at Level 1 Productions had the real Warren Miller do a part in their movie, talking about what it took to become a film maker and such. Since then, WME is suing Level 1. A lot of people I know are nto going to Warren Miller movies anymore becuase of this. I think it's pretty ridiculous that the original film making company is trying to sue the person who founded it and a company he's helping out.

Sick Bird Rider wrote
I don't remember the title but Warren himself was there, standing beside the 16mm projector, narrating the film. That is hard core entrepreunership.
That's incredibly awesome.
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
If you can't make it to Saratoga Springs, its playing in Huntsville, Ontario on Nov. 5.
Not that I want to make into publicity for this movie ,  but Ottawa would be closer from NY state...in distances and dates. October 30th at NAC. Kingston on November 16th. Sorry, but that's all the publicity I'm going to make for this group. (you can find the dates for NY state on their website).

Damn it...I was boycotting WME (see point above about WME's lawsuit), unhowever I've heard and seen about this trip Antarctiica trip and I found out that it's in the movie.  As a geographer and guy behind Ski Mad World, I'm really torn here and pissed off.

http://www.skinet.com/warrenmiller/film-locations

WME wrote
Most people would agree with John Morrison when he affirms, “There just aren’t that many places left where we haven’t been.” Therefore, Wintervention brings you on a journey to the last frontier, on an exploration of a truly epic winter paradise – the continent of Antarctica. Doug Stoup explains, “Antarctica is really the last frontier. The highest, driest, windiest, coldest continent on the planet…It holds 90% of the world’s ice and 70% of the world’s fresh water. This place is unreal.” Twenty four hours of daylight, penguins, icebergs, infinite and untouched lines…it’s all here and it’s more breathtaking than any other Warren Miller segment to date. The team is lead by Ice Axe Expeditions, on a 101 meter ship called the Clipper Adventurer. The Adventurer departs from the southern most city in the world, Ushuaia, Argentina, and the first obstacle on this expedition is navigating The Drake Passage, home to the world’s roughest waters. Once past this notorious obstacle, the team arrives at an endless expanse of rugged terrain that discharges abruptly out of the iceberg laden sea. With shades of blue and white in all directions, the team flawlessly executes complex, high consequence turns over hard packed, ancient glaciers. These ski mountaineers are literally at the bottom of the world…taking on some of the last first descents on earth..
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Sorry Fuj, our friend already bought 30 tickets for the Glens Falls showing. I'm on the hook for 3.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by MadPatSki
MadPatSki wrote
Damn it...I was boycotting WME (see point above about WME's lawsuit), unhowever I've heard and seen about this trip Antarctiica trip and I found out that it's in the movie.  As a geographer and guy behind Ski Mad World, I'm really torn here and pissed off.
MadPatSki: FWIW, Warren Miller (the man) is at least now able to use his "name and likeness" unless it is related to a ski movie. Check out a recent story on the legal battle here. The stupid lawsuit launched by WME against Level 1 Productions is still unresolved. Level 1 at least, seems to be moving on.

As a result, the Warren Miller Company has been reborn and appears to be doing some good work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Got a B.O. issue? Go see Wintervention!

Sick Bird Rider
If you go to the movie, you will discover that one of the sponsors WME has lined up is Degree For Men anti-perspirant (I include the link for amusement's sake, not as a shameless plug for deodorant). If you can't be bothered, I quote: The Degree Men Adrenaline Series is designed to respond to increases in physical exertion, providing 24 hour odour and wetness protection for all of your adventures. Yikes.

Today, two of my staff approached me and asked if I had a serious body odor problem. I said, noooo, I don't think so. Turns out they just signed for 432 samples of Degree Adrenaline, addressed to me! Bruce, the courier driver, was pretty amused that he had to deliver 16 boxes of Degree to an outdoor store.

So now I am faced with the task of handing out samples of deodorant to people as they enter the theater next Friday. Just how does one do this tactfully? The WME folks have not included any guidelines for this in their film host information, so if any of you have a suggestion, let me know.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Got a B.O. issue? Go see Wintervention!

tBatt
So I'll give it to them that this year was probably their best movie in about 5 years, but it still has the feel of being geared to the people who ski about 5 times a year. The Antarctica segment was only about 15 mins, and I feel like the movie was too long. There were a bunch of places it could have/should have ended.

After every Segment they went back to Jonny Moseley running the "talk show" about being an addict and such. That increased the cheese factor a bit too much for me.

I'd say it's worth watching for $10, but TGR is still better.

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Good review Fugative, although I'd have to say I liked last year's movie better. The Mongolia segment in that film was fantastic and much more in line with the classic WM combo of humour, skiing and travel.

Speaking of the real Warren Miller, I found this excellent article in the Seattle Times. For the confused out there, it explains how Warren Miller the man became disconnected with Warren Miller Entertainment, and gives some interesting insights into the character of one of the true icons of modern ski culture.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
SBR you're always coming up with good stuff, very good article.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Go see Wintervention!

Harvey
Administrator
fujative wrote
SBR you're always coming up with good stuff, very good article.
Agreed.

I know that lawyers and laws and law have their own ways that mere mortals can't comprehend. But the idea that Warren is not allowed to narrate a movie because using the sound of his voice is a trademark infringement... that is too much for me to grasp.

No doubt that WME can attribute a significant amount of their success to this:

"The schism has split planet snow into three camps: people loyal to Miller (www.warrenmiller.net); people loyal to WME (www.warrenmiller.com); and a sizable majority who likely don't even realize there's a difference."

I guess that is what you are buying when you purchase a brand. Still...
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Thanks for that article link, Sick Bird. I enjoyed the 10 questions video.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
.....OR likely Warren Miller agreed to those terms when he sold his company, image, etc. and is now trying to make a few dollars in violation of that agreement. He was paid for surrendering his brand and he likely agreed to do so.

Sure it's emotional to think a man can't market his own name, image, voice but if he himself agreed to those terms, where's the beef?

These type of agreements are extremely common in the business world. Contractual law is sound and Courts are very hesitant to rule against valid contracts. To do so would severely hamstring business operations.

Warren's only hope would be in the minutiae or lack of clarity in the contract's wording or if he had been compelled into signing the contract due to being in a much weaker bargaining position, so to speak. That's called an adhesion contract and they're illegal. It's all about fair play, as in...

If he agreed to it and he accepted the check, he's got no bitch.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Snowballs wrote
.....OR likely Warren Miller agreed to those terms when he sold his company, image, etc. and is now trying to make a few dollars in violation of that agreement. He was paid for surrendering his brand and he likely agreed to do so.

Sure it's emotional to think a man can't market his own name, image, voice but if he himself agreed to those terms, where's the beef?

If he agreed to it and he accepted the check, he's got no bitch.
His beef is that he thought he was doing the right thing at the time, then times changed:

Seattle Times wrote
"Had I sold it to anybody besides my own son, looking for longevity, family ownership, that sort of stuff, I would have written the contract completely differently," he says.

Ah, hindsight.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Snowballs

Snowballs:

Dude, he was trying to keep his company in the family, as he states in the article (or video?). If he was dealing with the devils in a multi national corporation, I'm pretty sure the contract he signed would have been different. Of course, the big question here is whether or not his relationship with his son is damaged by this fiasco.

He looks and sounds damn good for 86. Pretty amazing that his first major ski injury in his life (!!!), enough to keep him off the slopes for a while, happened just last winter.
funny like a clown