What are the best lifts that Snoloco would hate?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
63 messages Options
sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What are the best lifts that Snoloco would hate?

sig
i was going to say Castlerock double but already taken. seeing that picture of alta reminds me of how much no safety bar's freak me out. i'm not even afraid of heights.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Reply | Threaded
|

DoWork

Man, not one mention of the Red Chair at Magic?  She was even just recently rebuilt, fully repadded and repainted too (by Magic skier donations "sponsoring" each chair btw).  I love that chair.  The fixed grip doubles are just so quiet and smooth- it's like floating down a river but uphill.  The tops of the towers are below the tops of the trees and Redline is very narrow so it never sees enough wind to go on hold either- truly awesome on storm days.  It also accesses the entire mountain, almost never has a line and you get to watch people shred Redline and the trees around it while you ride.  

"If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
do you have any idea how much man power it takes to set up b net?  it needs to be adjusted frequently as well to keep it at the right height.  Big ski areas that have lots of trails and vert would need to raise lift ticket prices to cover that and you seem to think everything should be free.

You are a study in contradictions.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
It's my least favorite resort in Colorado, but when I end up there this is my favorite chair. It's like the Red Chair of Summit County.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Knpdzvh3ks

(You guys have covered most of my favs in the northeast already)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
do you have any idea how much man power it takes to set up b net?  it needs to be adjusted frequently as well to keep it at the right height.  Big ski areas that have lots of trails and vert would need to raise lift ticket prices to cover that and you seem to think everything should be free.

You are a study in contradictions.
Just a few main trails. I understand it would be hard to net 120 trails at a place like okemo. If you net a few of the heavy use main cruisers, you'd save a lot of lives/injuries. A mountain like wachusett that only has a few trails then you could net most of the mountain.

Not free, just not being bent over and your pockets emptied so the owner can drive his Bentley or ski areas designed solely for the rich.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Hunter has wooden fences along most of their trails.  Would those satisfy Powassassin?

Just curious, does a "ski area designed for the rich" mean one with lots of snowmaking, grooming, and high speed lifts?
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
snoloco wrote
Hunter has wooden fences along most of their trails.  Would those satisfy Powassassin?

Just curious, does a "ski area designed for the rich" mean one with lots of snowmaking, grooming, and high speed lifts?
Wooden fences....lmao yeah that would work great

No there's ski areas with a ton of snowmaking and grooming that have aren't geared as much towards the rich as some other areas are.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
PowderAssassin wrote
No there's ski areas with a ton of snowmaking and grooming that have aren't geared as much towards the rich as some other areas are.
So, which ones?
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
snoloco wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
So, which ones?
Ski butternut(300 dollar season pass, 25 buck midweek), bosquet ski area, mohawk(mid week pass with no blackouts is around 250 dollars) ect. high speed lifts= generally expensive on EC. Grooming is cheap, snowmaking is the major cost.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
In reply to this post by nepa
Back in the mid 90's, my girlfriend got the job of writing a story on Red Mt. for some tourist book. The owner of the mountain had us stay at his house for a couple days. I asked him about that chair and wondered if they had plans to replace it with something faster. His answer was " You are here to go down the mountain, not up the mountain."
What a great answer!
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
riverc0il wrote
They are super strict on safety bars at Smuggs
Those who are true park rats always ride with the bar up.
Sno, that is core as fuck!

All jokes aside I haven't seen anyone explain to you why areas like smuggs have the older double chairs.  Maybe the did in the past I just missed it.  It is to preserve the snow and lessen the traffic on the hills.  Same reason they keep the trails skinny.  MC has wideeeeee trails and fast lifts to shuffle as many people up and down the hill as possible.  That is not the goal at smuggs.  The goal is to preserve the snowpack and have less traffic.  They are going for the old school vibe and not the big resort $$$ vibe..
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
Pallavicini chair at A-Basin. Slow, rickety double that leads to some of the coolest terrain I've ever skied.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by louie.mirags
louie.mirags wrote
snoloco wrote
riverc0il wrote

All jokes aside I haven't seen anyone explain to you why areas like smuggs have the older double chairs.  Maybe the did in the past I just missed it.  It is to preserve the snow and lessen the traffic on the hills.  Same reason they keep the trails skinny.  MC has wideeeeee trails and fast lifts to shuffle as many people up and down the hill as possible.  That is not the goal at smuggs.  The goal is to preserve the snowpack and have less traffic.  They are going for the old school vibe and not the big resort $$$ vibe..
Skinny trails = more traffic on trail assuming  equal amount of skiers on the mountain.
Less traffic = less money so I'm not sure why that would be their goal?
Mountain creek/wachustt are insanely crowded. They are boston/nyc closest mid size mountain. So you can't really compare them to anywhere else!
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
louie.mirags wrote
snoloco wrote
riverc0il wrote

Skinny trails = more traffic on trail assuming equal skiers on the mountain.
Mountain creek/wachustt are insanely crowded. They are boston/nyc closest mid size mountain. So you can't really compare them to anywhere else!
Do you actually ski?
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
louie.mirags wrote
snoloco wrote
riverc0il wrote

Do you actually ski?
Do you not see my avatar?
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by jjp24
jjp24 wrote
Pallavicini chair at A-Basin. Slow, rickety double that leads to some of the coolest terrain I've ever skied.
I was just thinking of that one!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
louie.mirags wrote
snoloco wrote
riverc0il wrote

Do you actually ski?
Do you not see my avatar?
What proof is that?  We know that's not you.  I don't see any orange nets.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I was digging deep in my memory for old doubles that I rode and thought I remembered ones at Bridger, so I looked at the latest trail map and holy shit! They put a double to the top of the ridge - Schlasman's lift, built in 2008 and serves avalanche terrain where you have to have a beacon to ski. I hiked that ridge and remember having to get checked by patrol, making sure my beacon was working back in the 90's. I gotta get back there and ride that baby - it's now a priority. Anyone ridden it?

Then there are Black Jack and Mountain Chief at Copper, I have found memories of the Cornice that builds up at the top of the Chief. There are some lifts that should never be updated.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
PowderAssassin wrote
Skinny trails = more traffic on trail assuming  equal amount of skiers on the mountain.
No. Skinny trails and slow lifts do not mean more traffic on the mountain.  The slow lifts limit the amount of people who are on the trail at once.  Skinny trails maintain the snowpack by limiting wind for example.