What are the best lifts that Snoloco would hate?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
63 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What are the best lifts that Snoloco would hate?

Z
This post was updated on .
Skied Smuggs today.  Those old slow doubles on Madonna and Sterling Mt rock some of the best terrain anywhere.  But they were installed in 1960 (I asked the liftie).  The are super long and slow.  The rubber pad is basically there because the wood slates are falling apart so they are not all that comfortable.  The do run well in the wind that was howling today.  We had some great conversation on them and particularly Madonna accesses incredible skiing especially in the woods.

We loved it.  I don't think Sno would be too impressed.

What other lifts rock but would not be Sno approved?
Hint : none if them are at MC
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What are the best lifts that Snoloco would hate?

snoloco
The question is why they still have those old things around.  I would think that they'd have been upgraded to HSQ a while back, but I guess not.  Is it just not in smuggs business model to upgrade to HSQ?
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by Z
The Red Chair at Red Mountain, BC.  Slow assed center-pole to un-groomed terrain:

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Also Blackfoot lift at Grand Targhee rocking the center pole

Those Red towers are so old the have the girder style towes instead of poles.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
How about Wildcat at Alta, accesses some of the best powder stashes and tree skiing.

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Z
Castlerock double, Single at MRG, Darkside chair at Gore. That Snowden quad at Killington felt particularly slow last week.

But he'd probably hate the Jackson Hole Tram, too. And all surface lifts, regardless of the awesome terrain they access (although if it wasn't groomed, he'd probably think the terrain sucks).

Smugg's is great. Gotta try to get there more this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Surface lifts rule.

The tram at Jackson is by far the best ride in the lower 48. It sure has gotten crowded there now unfortunately.

The Snowbird tram is probably my second favorite.

I do sort of agree with the kid a little on riding slow lifts. The Agassiz chair here at Snowbowl has burned me out on spending too much time on chairlifts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Castlerock double, Single at MRG, Darkside chair at Gore.
This thread could be called Harv's favorite chairs. When I saw this I thought of all three of the above, plus Plattekill Double and Poma 2 at Hickory.

Smuggs for me too. GOT to get there.  Would love to road trip it with MC, River, ML, TC etc etc etc.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
M1 is the BEST. Damn uncomfortable double, to boot. They are super strict on safety bars at Smuggs. The safety bars on the M1 don't go down to a fixed position but have some sorta spring mechanism. The height isn't as bad as Magic's lifts but still not comfortable for a guy with long legs like me. Long and slow... though considering it goes straight up the damn mountain, it isn't that long because its rise is pretty steep. It has everything in a lift that I should hate but it is still one of my favorites.

Surprised the Red/Black at Magic weren't mentioned yet. Though I confess, I never quite feel safe riding them due to their history. Replacement with another fixed grip wouldn't be a bad thing if they had the money.

The Poma at Burke, what a rocket that thing is. Absolutely essential on a high wind powder day. Though Burke has blown up enough that the lines might be a problem for that poma even on a mid-week powder day.

Though not a major lift, honorable mention to the T-bar at Sugarloaf for upper mountain accessibility on wind hold days.

Big fan of older Dopp Triples like Cannon's Zoomer and Jay's Jet.

MC2 mentioned Snowdon Quad, perhaps in jest of snoloco... that is one of my least favorite lifts. So slow, that one can go.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
riverc0il wrote
They are super strict on safety bars at Smuggs
Why so strict there?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
snoloco wrote
riverc0il wrote
Why so strict there?  Mount Peter is similar in that they have a speaker that tells you to put the safety bar down if you don't do it right away.  Mountain Creek couldn't care less about safety bars.  Almost no one ever puts the bar down on any lift there.  Most of the employees don't either.  We actually can determine if someone is a true park rat by if they put the safety bar down or not.  Those who are true park rats always ride with the bar up.
^ It's the law in VT. You have to put the bar down
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
This thread could be called Harv's favorite chairs.
Yeah, and it wouldn't be based on the premise of a bunch of adults shit-talking a 14 year old.

PeeTex beat me to it on Wildcat.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
tBatt wrote
Yeah, and it wouldn't be based on the premise of a bunch of adults shit-talking a 14 year old.
Amen Ted. And all of this during the Christmas season.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
riverc0il wrote
Those who are true park rats always ride with the bar up.
People die all the time falling out of the chairs. A teenager died(or at least had a tbi since they were airlifted out by lifestar) last year at mohawk mountain after falling out of a chair. You should always ride with the bar down. I never thought park rats had much in the way of brain cells so I believe that. Just teenage punks trying to look cool. Terrain parks are lame and dangerous anyway and most of those riders are a hazard to everyone else on the mountain with the way they ride. They're the reason snowboarders are banned at alta. They unfortunately gave all snowboarders a bad rep early on.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want a comfy chairlift? All chairs should have padding and be comfy to stretch out. Lets you recover and ski longer and is more enjoyable.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
Harvey wrote
This thread could be called Harv's favorite chairs.
I used to stick up for Sno but all his gushing about chairs pushed me over the edge.  Kind of like a bunch of uncles breaking his balls.  All in good fun. My first trip up Madonna today I thought Sno would hate this.

We also now found out our safety man / bubble boy PA is also afraid of falling out of a lift.  Personally I always put the bar down and fasten my seat belt but I don't rant about it.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
3 of the 4 chairs at the Snowbowl don't even have bars. I used to not care but now I get nervous thinking about my daughter possibly falling out. At this age I really appreciate the foot rests on safety bars, my legs tend to fall asleep without em.

Not using the safety bars scares PA, he thinks netting along ski runs is a good idea but he is a fan of big mtn skiing and Jackson Hole. Huh? I think I'm confused.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
According to people who actually work on ski lifts, safety bars don't help much if any.  Really if you sit all the way back in the chair properly, you'll be just fine without it.  In fact, less people have fallen out of lifts without them than lifts with them.  With no safety bar, you naturally end up sitting back in the chair which is the proper way to sit.  Me, I generally don't bother with the safety bar unless someone else on the chair wants it down, I'm at a mountain that requires it, I need to clip my helmet or backpack (if I'm skiing with one) to it, or if I want to use the footrest.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
snoloco wrote
According to people who actually work on ski lifts, safety bars don't help much if any.  Really if you sit all the way back in the chair properly, you'll be just fine without it.  In fact, less people have fallen out of lifts without them than lifts with them.  With no safety bar, you naturally end up sitting back in the chair which is the proper way to sit.  Me, I generally don't bother with the safety bar unless someone else on the chair wants it down, I'm at a mountain that requires it, I need to clip my helmet or backpack (if I'm skiing with one) to it, or if I want to use the footrest.

Terrain parks are not dangerous if used correctly.  Most of the park kids at Mountain Creek are perfectly nice.  We just get pissed when kids on leashes, or other people/groups that belong there come into the terrain park, block the takeoffs and landings, and then say we are self centered idiots because we take them out when they block a blind landing.  There is plenty of other terrain at Mountain Creek that has no park features, why must kids on leashes be in the terrain park?  I am a firm believer in a rule that you should not be in the terrain park unless you are hitting at least one feature on the run, or are with someone who is.  Even if you aren't a particularly good park skier, which I wasn't for a while, as long as you show that you are into the park stuff and trying to get better, we will usually give lots of advice and encouragement.  I have gotten a lot of advice for how to up my game in the park on my many ski lift rides.
Get some footage Loco, I want to see ya skiing the MC park. I actually love good park footage, even more tho I like watching the kids doing the urban freestyle stuff. The creativity in some of those lines just blows me away.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
 At this age I really appreciate the foot rests on safety bars, my legs tend to fall asleep without em.
+1 Absolutely. I wish all chairs had leg rests. Keeps you going longer
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
snoloco wrote
riverc0il wrote
Why so strict there?  Mount Peter is similar in that they have a speaker that tells you to put the safety bar down if you don't do it right away.  Mountain Creek couldn't care less about safety bars.  Almost no one ever puts the bar down on any lift there.  Most of the employees don't either.  We actually can determine if someone is a true park rat by if they put the safety bar down or not.  Those who are true park rats always ride with the bar up.
^ It's the law in VT. You have to put the bar down
CT just made it law as well. http://www.connecticutmag.com/Blog/Connecticut-Today/November-2014/Connecticut-Ski-Areas-Opening-for-Season-New-Safety-Rules-in-Place/

I'm just waiting for the law to be made to require NETTING the trails
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)