What are the best lifts that Snoloco would hate?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
63 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What are the best lifts that Snoloco would hate?

nepa
This post was updated on .
PeeTex wrote
There are some lifts that should never be updated.
I agree.  Some, in my opinion should be registered as historical landmarks.  Anything with a center pole and no safety bar should live forever.  Sadly, the Snoloco generation seems to be in favor in destroying and replacing the classics.    

Edelweis at Alpental is another classic Riblet that Snoloco would probably want replaced.  

At the top of this one, I occasionally experience vertigo.  The bowl is a fairly narrow feature.  You unload in a very tight spot that falls abruptly from 3 sides with surrounding peaks that feel like walls closing in on you.  I don't think this quite does it justice, but this is a shot from the top.  It almost feels like you can reach out and touch the peaks that you see in the background of this shot:

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
Harvey wrote
This thread could be called Harv's favorite chairs.
Yeah, and it wouldn't be based on the premise of a bunch of adults shit-talking a 14 year old.
Why do you consider this shit-talking?    I re-read the posts that are relevant to the topic.  Everything seems pretty respectful.  In my opinion, I'd call it education before I called it shit talking.  The kid is obviously a fanatic. Unfortunately, he does not know when to dial it back.

A thread like this helps educate the younger generation on the diversity of opinions in the fanatic web space.

Snoloco.  I apologize if I have offended you with any of my posts.  We have some sweet lifts out here that are not high speed.  In fact, they are probably some of the slowest lifts you'll ever see.  That said, in my opinion, they are still worth keeping around.  Merry Christmas Kid!  If you want to come ride WA state... you're welcome at my house.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
The old slow double at Silverton,

Not sure Sno would care for the lodge, either

Thanks to chairliftchatter.com for that image ^
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
 Sadly, the Snoloco generation seems to be in favor in destroying and replacing the classics.    
I really don't think we lost the entire generation. I would bet if you asked my grand daughter or Zjr they would have respect and fondness for those old doubles that serve some of the best terrain. Sno is a city kid, wants it all and wants it now and doesn't want to work for any of it. Who knows what he will grow up to be, lets just hope it's not a frustrated old cube rat like Benny .

BTW - another favorite, the Solitude summit double, accesses some terrain that never sees the sun in winter, where you can find pow weeks after a dump.

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Can I add the lack of grooming and mandatory hiking to the Silverton experience? I wouldn't want to posthole through this with another 2' on the way... good thing I have skins!

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
This is awesome:

The mentality of a nordic or turn-earning skier is dramatically different.  Before Neve was born we'd day ski in the Siamese, basically looking for uphill all day until a late lunch, have a fire and ski back down in our tracks in like 30 minutes.  The uphill is all part of it, enjoyable exercise.

So sno imagine you've got that mindset and someone tells you you can snag 2000 feet of vertical on a lift in 10 minutes?  Sounds pretty good. We're not thinking "this sucks, it should only take 5 minutes."

Reality: the easier it is to access, the more tracked out the snow.  I'd take one 2000 foot run in untracked snow over 20 2000 foot runs on scrapey manmade anyday.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Harvey wrote
Reality: the easier it is to access, the more tracked out the snow.  I'd take one 2000 foot run in untracked snow over 20 2000 foot runs on scrapey manmade anyday.
At Silverton, you get both. And minimum 2k super steep vert.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Harvey
^+1
Well said Harv
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Skied Smuggs today.  Those old slow doubles on Madonna and Sterling Mt rock some of the best terrain anywhere.  But they were installed in 1960 (I asked the liftie).  The are super long and slow.  The rubber pad is basically there because the wood slates are falling apart so they are not all that comfortable.  The do run well in the wind that was howling today.  We had some great conversation on them and particularly Madonna accesses incredible skiing especially in the woods.

We loved it.  I don't think Sno would be too impressed.

What other lifts rock but would not be Sno approved?
I skied Smuggs today.  I had no problem riding the long fixed grips on Madonna and Sterling.  They are actually some of the fastest fixed grips I've ridden.  They didn't really feel slow at all.  Maybe it would feel slow if you took those lifts just after a high speed lift, but of course, Smuggs didn't have any.  I think the other people in the Clarkson School group complained about the lifts more than I did.

Also, I could really rip on some runs because they weren't crowded, thanks to low lift capacity.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
I could really rip on some runs because they weren't crowded, thanks to low lift capacity.
QFT.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I can also say with confidence that the Smuggs lift maintenance team is world class.  They keep two 50+ year old lifts running like they're new.

For any Hall lovers, Smuggs is what I'd consider the "Hall capital of the world".  They have 6 different Hall lifts of different vintages.  4 are new installs at Smuggs (Madonna 1 and 2, Sterling, and Village), and 2 relocations (Mogul Mouse's Magic Lift and Morse Highlands).  While some modifications have been done, all the lifts are built exclusively with Hall parts and look like they're original.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
McCauley Mountain's xc ski loop has a slamming, gut-check downhill that scared the crap outta me last weekend in frozen granular conditions.  Only trouble is, you have to get up there under your own power.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by snoloco
Grasshopper is starting to grow up
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
All factors equal, I still prefer high speed lifts, but I can totally appreciate the different kind of experience that old school places like Smuggs offer.  Wish there was more natural snow so that more glades were in play.  Did a couple short bump runs also.  I can't wait for Whiteface to open Hoyt's so I can really practice my bump skiing skills.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
All factors equal, I still prefer high speed lifts, but I can totally appreciate the different kind of experience that old school places like Smuggs offer.  Wish there was more natural snow so that more glades were in play.  Did a couple short bump runs also.  I can't wait for Whiteface to open Hoyt's so I can really practice my bump skiing skills.
That's the point, when you have high speed lifts, all things are less likely to be equal.

Don't they let Mac bump up at WF?

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Yes, but I think Hoyt's is better.  Lower Mac was groomed when I skied it last weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
snoloco wrote
I can't wait for Whiteface to open Hoyt's so I can really practice my bump skiing skills.
Don't they let Mac bump up at WF?
They groom Hoyt's and Mac semi-regularly.  Lower Mac was groomed this weekend.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
To answer the original question, Summit Platter, Lake Louise.  The only grooming is a cat track for people who've gotten lost.  The rest is bowl and out of bounds skiing which, when the light is flat, is nauseating.

Side note:  if you got the small red platters (not pictured), they would crush your testes.

Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco

Corde Raide T Bar at Mont Sainte Anne.  Has a really steep final climb and is a challenging ride the whole way.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i like that lift..thought it was kinda of fun
"Peace and Love"