1 ... 3456
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is an "Expert"...

MikeK
Banned User
tBatt wrote
His skis barely hit the snow when he went down. If my skis are coming off, there better be a mechanism of impact that makes them do so, whether it be a hard twisting motion or loading them super toe heavy.
Oh when he was bouncing along the snow with his skis twisting and flailing around after breaking a world speed record, that wasn't enough for you?

OK Mr. Armchair Physicist, tell me all about impact/momentum
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
MikeK wrote
tBatt wrote
His skis barely hit the snow when he went down. If my skis are coming off, there better be a mechanism of impact that makes them do so, whether it be a hard twisting motion or loading them super toe heavy.
Oh when he was bouncing along the snow with his skis twisting and flailing around after breaking a world speed record, that wasn't enough for you?

I think he was one of the Knights Templer of Chinese XCD.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
I have no idea what that means Ptex, but it makes me think of this:

I wonder what his DIN was set to?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
MikeK wrote
I have no idea what that means Ptex, but it makes me think of this:

I wonder what his DIN was set to?
His DIN was set higher than his IQ
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm the best
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I remember Leashes. Nothing like a ski following you ,while you tumble.
"No Falls=No Bslls
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
What was worse getting hit by the attached ski or having to take your gloves off and unhook the strap to get your ski back on?  Ski brakes...... Best ski advancement of all time
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by MikeK
MikeK wrote
tBatt wrote

J=FΔt - The impact on an object is described as the force applied over the time of collision.

As I said, his skis barely hit the ground. Do you expect your skis to come off from the shockwave of your shoulder hitting the ground? His skis did come off when he hit the net.

I double ejected today while turning. DIN was at 9.5. Didn't hit anything particularly hard. Soles were clear of snow. First time skiing in those bindings with a DIN sole.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Dins set at three? I would be walking out of my shoes every run with my bindings set so low.
Finally caught up wih this thread...mean't set for skiing at level 3...If I had to guess, based on my stats, bindings prob set in 8-9 range at the time, which is not crazy high for me, but high. If bindings window indicator set at 3, I prob wouldn't make it on the chair with two skis on, lmao.

Quoting raisingarizona 2nd time:

"I'm not trying to sound like a bad ass or brag, I'm being completely honest. If you want to shred for gods sake don't keep your bindings set at 3. That could kill you. A destroyed knee is much better than a high speed tree strike"

Couldn't agree more, as I'm most often skiing on the hairy edge of disaster on trail's edge, or in the "undesirable" spaces between lift towers and trail edge at speed in areas of minimal width. Ski off may = I'm dead or candidate for Lifeflight. In all honesty, I've chilled out quite a bit at my ripe old age of 57. But...if I'm gonna buy  the farm, I'm hoping it's doing something I've been enjoying most of my iife and continue to enjoy, not by getting hit by a bus stepping off the curb!
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
In reply to this post by Thehof
Thehof wrote
I remember Leashes. Nothing like a ski following you ,while you tumble.
Or windmilling and cutting one's ear off. Some dude racing at Greek Peak back in the day had this happen to him.

Narsty!
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
J=FΔt - The impact on an object is described as the force applied over the time of collision.

As I said, his skis barely hit the ground. Do you expect your skis to come off from the shockwave of your shoulder hitting the ground? His skis did come off when he hit the net.

I double ejected today while turning. DIN was at 9.5. Didn't hit anything particularly hard. Soles were clear of snow. First time skiing in those bindings with a DIN sole.
Technically speaking that is impulse as you described and it would be the integral of the force as a function of time over the time limits of interest.

What is the other side of that equation?  It comes from a very basic law of physics.  That is the real meaning of impulse.

Impact is actually something different, and is usually given in terms of energy or possibly given as impact force.

I dunno his skis looked like they bounced and twisted a couple times to me.  And I wouldn't expect a world record speed skier to really want their skis to ever release.  Not even sure those bindings would let you out unless you released them with a pole.

So now I'm really confused... you say skis shouldn't release unless there is a large impact and you state you double ejected making a turn.

And FWIW, the initial post was a joke... but we can keep going if you like.

PS I may not be a 9+ on the skiing scale, but I'm considered by my peers as an expert on this kind of stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
F'ing geeks!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by MikeK
MikeK wrote
So now I'm really confused... you say skis shouldn't release unless there is a large impact and you state you double ejected making a turn.

And FWIW, the initial post was a joke... but we can keep going if you like.

PS I may not be a 9+ on the skiing scale, but I'm considered by my peers as an expert on this kind of stuff.
First time skiing the with a DIN sole. Always had rubber toes before now. Had to turn 'em up to 11. . Salomons are known for having a bit of an easier release than stated on the binding. I think that totally goes against the point of DIN, but whatever.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Yeah DIN stands for Deutsches Institut für Normung.  There are all sorts of DIN standards.  If the numbers don't mean the same release torque and force (or energy) then it's not standard.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by tBatt
Sounds like they might not be properly adjusted in some other way

Harv this thread may need to be split into a binding discussion
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

Said my piece on this topic a few weeks back.

Bottom line: This whole DIN thing is not an exacting science. Most already know this.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Jon951 wrote
Said my piece on this topic a few weeks back.

Bottom line: This whole DIN thing is not an exacting science. Most already know this.

Yup, I would get to know your skiing and your binding before I would ever trust a universal standard that is likely a little bit of bull dookie.

A true expert knows this. Oh dang, maybe that's it?
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
raisingarizona wrote
A true expert knows this. Oh dang, maybe that's it?
Funny as shit! I think you may have cracked this one and we can put this thread to bed.
"Feets fail me not"
1 ... 3456