Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is an "Expert"...

nepa
Coach Z wrote
Thank you Nepa

My ipad has issues with the embed for some reason
No Problem Z.  Try not using "Embed Video" feature.... just paste the HTML from Vimeo and check the "Message in HTML Format" box... I think that will work with both iPad and PC.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Z
If you guys notice I often embed a video by itself without using text. It's way easier and the embed is likely to still work if we switch forum software.

Check this box:

and just include embed code and nothing else.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Harvey wrote
If you guys notice I often embed a video by itself without using text. It's way easier and the embed is likely to still work if we switch forum software.

Check this box:

and just include embed code and nothing else.
Exactly...
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Oops beat me to it.

The problem is with that box check you have to do a bunch of formating to add spaces in the text.

An expert is someone who can embed a video
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Thanks Z, that was interesting info from Vail.  Highlights what I guess I know I'm missing from hitting Level 9 (and it matches with RA's comments).........virtuosity.  I was hit in the face with that last spring when my buddy took video of me skiing Left Gully.  Solid turns in very steep and challenging terrain.....but they lacked a certain fluidity and, I guess, artistry (if virtuoso is what we're striving for). Oh, that and the bit about not fearing ANY terrain.

I got the crew together again with Bill F for a half day over MLK weekend.  He did ask me if I've ever thought about teaching.....so I guess my self assessment is somewhat reasonable.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
I LOVE this thread

Great discussion. No bitching & moaning.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
high intermediate at best.
High Intermediate, expert, it's all the same.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
^^^ Great Emoji!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Emoji? That's an actual photograph of SkiFishBum on TGR...
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Coach Z wrote
PSIA uses a 1-9 scale for self assessing what level you are for purposes of grouping lessons

I think Vail does this very well and so I am posting how they describe the levels - at a level 9 you can start thinking of calling yourself an expert.  The saying goes if you get a true 8 to show up for a lesson you give them a jacket and a job.

http://www.vail.com/ski-and-snowboard-school/assess-your-ability-level.aspx#/Advanced
I can't believe I actually read that and rated myself... how depressing.  It was kind of like measuring my penis...

I'm sure everyone here would rate themselves a 9+, but I'd say 7 Alpine, 4 Tele/XCD even though it's hard to rate yourself on a scale that uses groomers when you don't ski groomed terrain anymore.

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I took this self assessment, it classified me as Level 0; "You talk about skiing, you read about skiing and you think about skiing but you never seem to actually get out and ski"
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Just read that page and I'd say I'm between 7 and 8.  I'd like to be a solid 8, or even a 9, although a 9 will take some time to improve to.  I can get down just about anything, but I still need some work getting into a rhythm on bump runs, and I need to get better at skiing powder (not easy when you live downstate and ski in NJ).  When you ski in NJ, you'll feel like an expert really quick because few people who ski there are really dedicated skiers, and instead are "people that ski".  When I go to North at Mountain Creek, I ski right by everyone, and I mean everyone.  When I go to a more serious mountain, there are plenty of people that ski, who I ski right on by, but there's also some skiers who are better than me.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
In reply to this post by nepa
NEPA,

Thanks for the visual. Several of the skiers are PSIA National Team, I've had the pleasure to clinic with some of them in Eastern Division events.  They're almost as smooth on frozen waterfalls like Iceface and Killington, though a lil' more precise in their descent.  It all comes down to the conditions of the day, go figure.  

Sure would like to translocate to where they're at back in 2011.  Wait,..."Coach Z, beam me up!"

Ski you on the Hill.

P.S. What does FIFY stand for?  Pretty sure I'll find out soon.

All the best.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Fixed it for you...
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Coach Z wrote
PSIA uses a 1-9 scale for self assessing what level you are for purposes of grouping lessons

That below video gives you an idea of what PSIA is looking for in a L3 cert skier.  All these skiers are expert in my eye
That 1-9 scale is more useful than anything else. And that video makes me happy about my skill level. Some go faster, someone is ALWAYS better, but smooth, graceful and in control, no matter the conditions, seems to be the definition of the thing we're searching for here.

sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
gladerunner if you are hiding out there check out the video...... see how the turn starts with a pole plant. a POLE plant

thanks coach
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
I can't ski without pole plants!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by sig
sig wrote
gladerunner if you are hiding out there check out the video...... see how the turn starts with a pole plant. a POLE plant

thanks coach
Oh yeah, I remember that.  Glade Runner/Powderchaser/Mountain Dick/MRV80/Glade Runner 1-5/Powderseeker/100dayseasonorbust/Butplugsally/any other screen names I missed skied without poles.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
That is pretty interesting rating system although the jump between 7 and 8 looks big.  I was like... 7 yea, 8 no way.

Got to work on my flair.

Seems lopsided to the low end. I'm thinking like 4 or 5 levels between 7-9.

Also there is no mention of bulletproof "snow."