1234 ... 6
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What is an "Expert"...

sudsnbumps
?
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What is an "Expert"...

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
It's not what you ski it's how you ski it. My two dollars:

http://nyskiblog.com/what-is-an-expert-skier/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I say that an expert is someone who can ski all types of terrain in many different conditions either all equally well, or is super advanced in oen type of skiing, but can still do the others relatively well.

I've been skiing for 12 years and I consider myself an expert skier by eastern standards.  By western standards, I'm an advanced skier, but by no means an expert.  

I mostly rip groomers at high speeds, but given the chance, I ski other types of terrain as well.  If there's trees or bumps available and in good condition, I'm going to ski them.  I don't necessarily agree with the part that you have to ski all types of terrain perfectly.  The race kids are on groomers the entire time, and some are really good at what they do, but I'm sure they don't get on bumps or trees much.  Would we say that Bode Miller isn't an expert skier because he races and likely not much other skiing.  If you're very good at one type of skiing and moderately good at others, you're still an expert.

I like to ski a variety of terrain and not specialize too much on one type.  Problem is that varied types of terrain aren't always available to me.  I've skied Gore's trees more than anyone else's and like them a lot.  Problem is that they aren't always in play when I'm there.  Hunter is too damn rockey to have glades and Mountain Creek is too far south to get enough snow, although I do ski the MTB trails and lift routes when there's a lot of natural snow.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I think you will find as you progress in your experience that east coast "expert" skiing is more difficult than the typical Rocky Mtn "expert" skiing and both have what I would call "extreme" terrain. A steep chute with 100" of soft snow is a lot easier than a lower angle pitch of glazed over man made snow.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I say that an expert is someone who can ski all types of terrain in many different conditions either all equally well, or is super advanced in oen type of skiing, but can still do the others relatively well.
Sure, if you define expert however you feel like it everyone can be an expert. Everyone gets a trophy.

snoloco wrote
Would we say that Bode Miller isn't an expert skier because he races and likely not much other skiing.  If you're very good at one type of skiing and moderately good at others, you're still an expert.
OMG.

As the saying goes: "If you have to ask if you're an expert..."

And finally, does anyone really care how they may or may not be defined?
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Self-delusion is a wonderful thing
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by billyymc
people are too caught up with there form. put your skis on and go have some fun. I have skied with people who could rip down the mnt, but put a bump or tree In front of them and they cannot ski it. they have great form and look like experts but in reality are just advanced intermediates. I have never taken a lesson in my 40 years of skiing. I have awful form, spend most of the day in the back seat and do not own a pair of poles that are not bent. the poles bend from constantly trying to recover from bad form . I put a lot a value in the quote about skiing good conditions. this defiantly builds confidence and allows you to push yourself and become and expert.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
snoloco wrote

I've been skiing for 12 years and I consider myself an expert skier by eastern standards.  By western standards, I'm an advanced skier, but by no means an expert.  

I mostly rip groomers at high speeds, but given the chance, I ski other types of terrain as well.  If there's trees or bumps available and in good condition, I'm going to ski them.  I don't necessarily agree with the part that you have to ski all types of terrain perfectly.  The race kids are on groomers the entire time, and some are really good at what they do, but I'm sure they don't get on bumps or trees much.  Would we say that Bode Miller isn't an expert skier because he races and likely not much other skiing.  If you're very good at one type of skiing and moderately good at others, you're still an expert.

I like to ski a variety of terrain and not specialize too much on one type.  Problem is that varied types of terrain aren't always available to me.  I've skied Gore's trees more than anyone else's and like them a lot.  Problem is that they aren't always in play when I'm there.  Hunter is too damn rockey to have glades and Mountain Creek is too far south to get enough snow, although I do ski the MTB trails and lift routes when there's a lot of natural snow.
The only things you're an expert at are popping zits and bitching on internet forums.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
"Expert" at what?  Giving self-serving definitions?   

I'll give you mine in a bit....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Don't know the definition, but an expert I am not.
Reply | Threaded
|

Turd Ferguson
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
I've been skiing a bit over two decades and don't consider myself an expert, there's always more to learn and techniques that never get perfected, and conditions that can throw me off.  And, I know a lot of skiers who are more skilled than I am.

While it can definitely highlight mastery of certain skills, I don't think performance on a nice, well-maintained trail alone provides enough evidence to distinguish an expert.  A true expert, in my humble opinion, can ski with good form, in control, any run on the mountain, in any condition.  The rest of us are probably just happy with 'advanced intermediate'.

I do know some 'experts', and they ski east coast and west coast conditions...expertly.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Sno

Sorry but you are not an expert

The NYSEF race program makes sure the kids ski a lot of steeps bumps and trees as along with running gates it makes you a better skier.

In my mind an expert can make the adjustments needed to ski any condition well.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Coach Z wrote
The NYSEF race program makes sure the kids ski a lot of steeps bumps and trees as along with running gates it makes you a better skier.
I've heard this Ligety fellow is a decent racer, but a hack off the course as evidenced by this video:

I'm sure Bode is just lousy once he's off the course as well - high intermediate at best.

Snoloco - sometimes you don't deserve the floggings you get here. This isn't one of those times.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Sno

Sorry but you are not an expert.
Any basis for that opinion? Have you ever seen him ski?

Tom
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I did see him ski at WF a few years ago and I'm also going off the terrian he says was over his head at steamboat which really is not a very steep ski area.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Coach Z wrote
I did see him ski at WF a few years ago and I'm also going off the terrian he says was over his head at steamboat which really is not a very steep ski area.
And what exactly did I say was over my head.  And no, I did not see you at Whiteface.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I saw you skiing from the lift

Send me some current video and I'll give you a movement analysis and things to work on.  I won't share with the forum.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Last time I was at Whiteface was last spring.  Was also there the year before in the spring.  I'll see if I can get a video soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by TomCat
TomCat wrote
Coach Z wrote
Sno

Sorry but you are not an expert.
Any basis for that opinion? Have you ever seen him ski?

Tom
Good question. After reading the subsequent posts, it sounds like Z was grasping at straws.

One man's expert is another man's intermediate. There's always someone better. It's amazing what some people ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
In reply to this post by sig
It really pays to get out of the backseat though.  Much less tiring
sig wrote
people are too caught up with there form. put your skis on and go have some fun. I have skied with people who could rip down the mnt, but put a bump or tree In front of them and they cannot ski it. they have great form and look like experts but in reality are just advanced intermediates. I have never taken a lesson in my 40 years of skiing. I have awful form, spend most of the day in the back seat and do not own a pair of poles that are not bent. the poles bend from constantly trying to recover from bad form . I put a lot a value in the quote about skiing good conditions. this defiantly builds confidence and allows you to push yourself and become and expert.
1234 ... 6