What now?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What now?

Snowhunter
Okay, I've seen lot's of negative posts this season and I've been guilty of a few myself.  Since then most people lately seem to be thankful for the skiing we've had and we've all expressed our appreciation for the efforts of the snowmakers/groomers.

Now what?

Gore is in my backyard, Whiteface an easy cruise.  I'd love to get a final day in at both but what about beyond that?  I know that this is a NY ski site but I'd appreciate any input on my prospects if I venture beyond these borders.  VT, NH....even Maine...any thoughts or suggestions?  Is it worth the effort or should I just get one or two last days in and be happy with what I've gotten this season?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What now?

Harvey
Administrator
The NY border is not a barrier, for this site or your dreams. Go north to Gore, Whiteface, Green Mtn Spine. Chic Chocs in May. Go east Tux in June. Or go west. Then go south to Argentina, Chile and New Zealand in August. Keep skiing - (and post pics!)
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harv speaks the truth: seek and ye shall find.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
If Jay Peak has snow, they offer a great deal to season pass holders from other mountains.  We went several years ago and it was like $40 to ski Christmas week. Clearly I am assuming you are a pass holder at Gore/WF.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
I would love to have the means to travel to all those places!  Reality says that I'm looking at day trips, maybe one overnighter.

That's good to hear about Jay (yes, I am a pass holder).  Is there someplace special that I have to look for that deal?

For now I'm off to Gore this morning and I'm thinking about WF tomorrow (although I'm hearing talk of rain now).  I'm looking for places to hit Wednesday and/or Friday (Wednesday will probably be WF if I don't go there tomorrow).

Thanks for all the feedback!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Snowhunter wrote
That's good to hear about Jay (yes, I am a pass holder).  Is there someplace special that I have to look for that deal?
Here is the official word:

http://www.jaypeakresort.com/#/skiing_riding/rates_hours/lift_tickets/other_mountain_passholders/

Note that it says that you have to go to customer service at Tramside to get the deal. Unfortunately, the parking over there is a PITA, so if you park at Stateside (recommended) here's what to do. First, go into the little ski shop on the lower level and ask the nice lady if you can get the passholder deal. She might be able to do the transaction. If not (or if the shop is closed, often the case in spring), boot up, take the T-Bar, ski over to Tramside via the Queen's Highway run and get your ticket. You don't need a lift ticket to ride that T-Bar. Don't forget your pass and some form of ID.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
Don't know how you feel about K-mart, but they had a really great base this weekend that looks like it could last a while..
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
skied the big K on sunday. rode a chair with an employee who stated that they plan on shutting down the mt except for superstar very,very soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
really?! I'm shocked! I thought coverage was great..
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Here is the official word:

http://www.jaypeakresort.com/#/skiing_riding/rates_hours/lift_tickets/other_mountain_passholders/

Note that it says that you have to go to customer service at Tramside to get the deal. Unfortunately, the parking over there is a PITA, so if you park at Stateside (recommended) here's what to do. First, go into the little ski shop on the lower level and ask the nice lady if you can get the passholder deal. She might be able to do the transaction. If not (or if the shop is closed, often the case in spring), boot up, take the T-Bar, ski over to Tramside via the Queen's Highway run and get your ticket. You don't need a lift ticket to ride that T-Bar. Don't forget your pass and some form of ID.
Thank you for the information, should I head up there that will be very helpful!

Thanks for everyone's feedback.  I skied Gore today, it's going fast!  What a huge difference from last year.  As we've all been saying they've done a good job there but the temperatures, rain and use are really taking their toll on the mountain now.  I only skied a couple of hours before the spring conditions had beat up my legs.  I enjoyed myself but I treated today like it was my last day at Gore.  (I'll probably sneak over there one or two more times but I don't know what to expect when I get there, we're looking at rain on Tuesday and temps in the 60's).

I'm not going anywhere on Tuesday but I am planning on heading out Wednesday but I still don't know where.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
This post was updated on .
i also thought that the coverage was good (the 6-7 inch dump friday helped) but the crowds were missing. people just aren't skiing. and, this weeks meltdown will show a different mt this coming weekend for everyone.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
Thanks again everyone for the advice!  So where did I end up Wednesday?  Okemo!  My better half found a deal for a $49 lift ticket, it's less than 2 hrs away from me and I used to ski there a lot.  I had a good time, from 9-10 was definitely the best and then around 1 PM I found a barely touched trail on the lower half of the mountain that made for a couple of fun runs.  I'm glad I went!  (It's not the same mountain for me though now as a few years at Gore and Whiteface and a lot more days out have made me into a different, better skier, but that's a story for another post....)

Still not done yet.  I know I said that I might be done with Gore but it's calling me and I'm thinking of a couple of hours first thing tomorrow morning and maybe Saturday and/or Sunday.

Then it's back to "What now?".....I'm thinking K-Mart early next week and possibly a journey to Jay later in the week.  Let's see what happens......
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Snowhunter wrote
Then it's back to "What now?"....Let's see what happens......
YES LET US SEE WHAT HAPPENS > Photos? TR?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by Snowhunter
If you go to gore today, please post info on conditions. My son is home from college next week and I was hoping to take advantage of take your sons to the slopes week at gore. BTW, this is a great deal with one free lift ticket for buying an adult ticket and a season pass counts as an adult ticket!

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
YES LET US SEE WHAT HAPPENS > Photos? TR?
Yes, I plan on putting a little one together, I've been very lax with the reports this year (more focused on actual skiing and the job hunt....now just SKIING!  )

I did make it over to Gore this morning.  My first run was Uncas around 9:30.  Uncas was in great shape!  I was able to sneak in a couple of runs on Hawkeye and Open Pit and I took a run on Hullabaloo, Cloud, Foxlair, Sunway & Quicksilver.  Things were nice and firm the first half hour or so and then they started loosening up quickly.  Hawkeye's headway is pretty beat up but it can still be skied by many.  Open Pit was in very good shape and Hullabaloo was in good condition too.  Foxlair and Quicksilver were in good shape also.  Sunway and the base were pretty slushy.  It felt kind of cool when I first got on top but the temp rose quickly.  I had things to do today so I had to leave just after 11 and it started to pour.  I'm going to give Saturday and/or Sunday another shot but I have my doubts about anything after that.

So to review, what now?

Thinking Gore Saturday and/or Sunday.

Whiteface Monday???

K-Mart or Jay later in the week??
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
In reply to this post by Snowhunter
When they are already golfing in mid march in plattsburgh now what is an easy answer - time to break out the clubs and hit the links

A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
I skied WF yesterday morning.  It was a beautiful day and the mountain was empty.  Conditions....eh.  Lots of brown, plenty of rocks and puddles.  I found a few nice spots and I managed to enjoy some of my runs but all in all spring skiing is not my thing and it was depressing knowing that it's mid-March and it's over.  There were a number of skiers there who were obviously much better than me and they seemed to be having a good time.  For people like that there may be a day or two left there but I'd be shocked if it will be worth in a few more days.

What now?  I think I'm done.  I just can't justify a trip to Jay for similar conditions.  Might I head over to Gore on Thursday out of curiosity and for a ceremonial last run?  Possibly but I'm sadly accepting the fact that this season is over for me.  37 days!  I can't complain.  Just sad that it's ending so soon.

At this point the kids want the pool open, I've been doing yard work (on a yard that is typically covered with snow until April) and the bugs are already out.  It's hard to argue with reality.  Time to start planning some hikes.

Thanks again for all the feedback and advice!
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Go to Snowbird.  They just got 30+ inches and they'll be open till at least early May:)
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Or you could go to Mt. Baker.  They've had 140 inches in the past 11 days and it is still snowing.  Sigh.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
I wish I had the means, I'd be booking my flights right now!